1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Linebacker

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

From...

[​IMG]

To...

[​IMG]

To...

[​IMG]

?

2. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Hopefully. Washington won't get to start til JR year unless Major or Webb get injured

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

He should get a lot of reps this year. So should Daigh. Easy transition into Webb-Daigh-Washington for our 2013 starting LBs.

The guy I haven't heard much about this spring who I thought might be the best of our young LBs is Woodson Greer.

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Yup, his name has not been mentioned by anyone... very strange.

5. BMoe82

BMoe82 Active Member

Don't think it has anything to do with how Greer is doing but more to do with the position he is playing. He is backing Major up at the Sam LB postion. This is the least glamerous of the LB positions in Browns scheme and the hardest to play. You cannot run sideline to sideline. You have to get hands on the TE every play. You have to hold your edge so you play 1/2 the field. You are responsible for taking on blocks and turning the play to the playside Safety, Mike or Will LB. SAM LB is not glamerous as you are really blocking for other defenders to make the play. Against spread teams, you play in space against a slot receiver and again are generally limited to making plays on 1/2 the field. Greer could be having a great spring, but if you only get a chance to make a play once or twice a practice, the work may go unnoticed by all but Coach Cabral. Asked Brown about Major at a BuffClub event and he said he is the unsung warrior of the D and is playing SAM because noone else can.

Heywood, azbuff, aik and 2 others like this.
  6. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Good insight, Thanks

7. KingJames

KingJames New Member

If Greer develops, I can see the LB corps in 2013 as Greer at Sam, Webb at Mike and Washington at Will. Daigh is tough but not sure if he has enough speed to be an every down LB at this level. If Rippy does not get back to 100%, would be very surprised if Webb or Major aren't moved to Mike. Might depend on who develops fastest between Greer and Washington at Sam and Will respectively. Would feel more comfortable if we slotted Major at Mike and Rippy at SAM as it does not require as much speed to play and Rippy could protect his legs a little better on the edge helping him get back mentally a little faster too. Major moved back to Mike the last 4 games of the season and I think averaged over 9 tackles a game and was P12 player of the week v UU. Feel Major is better suited in the middle where he can run sideline to sideline. Didn't get to see much of his burst last year and now understand why. Good insight BMoe.

Heywood and Buffnik like this.
  8. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

Damn. This is some DEEP LB talk. Sweet! I really don't know jack about defense, defensive schemes, play calls....

9. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Great comment. Last year in the first couple of games, I was wondering "wtf is Major?". It's because of the TE thing. Tough position. Although his tackles seemed to ramp up dramatically after that.

10. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Remember to that Major played last year on a knee that wasn't close to fully recovered from a major injury. If the Buffs had any kind of depth he would have been at least considered to sit out the year and petition for a medical RS year. Compared to pre-injury he was significantly slower, lacked quickness, and lacked explosion. He also appeared to be at least at times, protecting the knee.

My hope is that with another full off-season to heal and rehab Major will be able to come back this year closer to his full ability. If he does we may see a huge breakout year where he becomes a star in the conference.

11. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Good to see other royalty amongst this group of unwashed masses. Welcome.

I think I say this about every single player that even gets a little bit of hype during the spring, but I feel that Washington could be a big time player for us. He needs to put on a few pounds, but he would be a fast hard hitting LB. If he is anything like those other two in the photos that would be alright.

12. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

SAM-Greer
    MLB- Daigh
    WLB- Webb

Backups

SAM-Tuumalo
    MLB- ?
    WLB- Washington

13. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

You don't know Jack...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Best 3 LBs are going to play. Don't put too much into which position at which they happen to be listed on the depth chart. It would be like focusing on whether someone is listed as an X, Y or Z wide receiver.

15. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

Greer showed flashes last year, He is going to be special.

16. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

We will have to see how he does in the spring game first