1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Pericak: Phil Steele Freshman All American

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Congrats to Will on a great honor! Amazing to go from a moderately recruited linebacker to one of the top 12 d-linemen in college football in a year.

I can't wait to see how good he is for us in 2010 with a year's experience under his belt (and playing at legitimate DT weight). :thumbsup:

Also, I've been very critical of Romeo Bandison... but nice job by him coaching Will up.

http://www.philsteele.com/fbsinfo/FBSAllConf/2009allconf_freshman/2009main.html

2. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Awesome! The D-line really improved throughout the season, and Pericak was a big part of it. Congrats!

3. Nor Cal Buff

Nor Cal Buff Well-Known Member

Congrats to Will. Very surprised Barkley didn't get selected at QB?!?

4. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Pericak for Heisman 2011!!!

5. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Wow. Not bad will, not bad at all. He's a mchesney type, he will be a solid force for his entire buff career.

6. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Congrats to Will. He was definitely coming on strong towards the end of the season. An off-season of strength & conditioning will really raise his game next season. I think Cunningham took the brunt of the double-teams, so our unit will only get more effective as these young guys step up for us.

Not good to see TWO cornhole LB'ers on that list though!

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

he'll make a great fullback! :thumbsup:

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

beat me to it :lol:

9. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Easy partner, they originally wanted him at TE. I'm still amazed at his progress at DT.

10. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Well it's not his "natural position" you know. Sorry, couldn't resisit.

11. sackman

Eat sh!t.

The coaches must have seen something in him that I didn't. I'm man enough to admit that. I thought it was asinine to move him to TE, and they must have thought so too. He didn't spend much time at TE.

I would have thought he would make a good DE, but I'm still perplexed by the move to DT. He has good speed, why not use it? I think his frame is still too small for DT, personally. But hey, what the hell do I know?

12. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

:woot:

How many DT frosh were there in all of CFB? Not that it diminishes his efforts. He kicked ass for a RS-frosh and it's nice to see that he was kindly rewarded. Hopefully next year he'll be a consensus AA! If we can get a solid DT presence next year, especially early, our LBs are going to be beasts with guys like Ginger Fury, Sipili and Major flying around the field.

13. Darth Snow

Wow, I never EVER thought I would be saying this after this season, but Bandison, Props to you sir. Now go do it again, and I will believe!

Remember, sir, [​IMG]

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The LBs have a lot to prove IMO. I think you will see the DL's progress ahead of the LBs' progress for quite a while. In fact, I think you may very well see a healthy does of Derrick Webb by the middle of next season. I think there is a lot of potential along the front seven, but it is going to take a while to mesh.

15. SBG

My gripe this year was that Major saw very limited action. That's not how you build depth. Mohler also didn't have very much PT; he had a concussion early in the year and unless it was debilitating should have been out more (I know he was a Sr).

We lose Smart who was a heady player, but lacked some of the athleticism of the other guys, especially in passing situations. Dizon was a beast, but a large part of that was also because we had Nuckols and The Rabid Goldfish as DTs chewing up double teams so that teams couldn't really block upfield. The development of the DL is a necessity unless you have a team full of 5* LBs and right now I think we have good ones, they just maybe aren't ready for prime time. Hopefully Cabral works his magic.

Ginger Fury needs to work on his penalties, Major needs substantial PT and will be a bit raw so Sipili hasn't had to rise to the occasion just yet and be a leader. The MLB on our D has to make the proper reads and assignments before the snap. I'm not too worried about our DL.

Guys need to bring some....
    [video=youtube;Y4oQ7tGlEUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4oQ7tGlEUM[/video]

16. BuffMania

BuffMania Banned BANNED

Phil Steele loves us!

Pericak should be something special before it's all said and done. Nice to see.

17. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Isn't this the point where you tell mick he shouldn't post in this thread?

18. Darth Snow

no, its the point where you pull your head out of your ass (tall order, I know, its really up there) realize there is a difference between the recruiting forum and the football forum.

:smile2:

19. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

congrats young man

20. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

fify

21. SBG

Thanks. I got him mixed up with our DL recruit from last year. D'oh.

22. calibuff81

calibuff81 New Member

With Hawk running the show, expect the unexpected lol

23. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

The biggest thing Ginger Fury needs to work on is control. Teams started to game plan for his over penetration and failure to break down when he got in the backfield.

24. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Exactly. I hope Beatty learned an important lesson from this season: you cannot rely purely on speed or athleticism at the college level. He got pinched inside on a regular basis and we gave up big plays as a result. Discipline is important, especially if you are the speed rusher on the weak side.

25. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Good for Will, the DL should be a real strong point next season.

26. sackman

Ya know what? We all said the same thing about the defensive backfield this year. I hope you're right, but I'm reserving judgement.

27. SBG

Our CBs performed well I thought. We were overly optimistic, but we weren't returning much experience at safety. Manke struggled and didn't see the field much after the first few games. Perkins got better, but Polk and Burney ended up seeing a lot of PT. We should have seen it coming. While Dykes and Walters never had burning speed they were usually in position to make the correct read when they needed to.

Then we had Collins' brilliant defensive gameplan that allowed other teams to put those gashers on us. Our CBs, not the DBs as a whole, were much better than that.

28. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Well with this team you can never say anything with 100% certainty, but there really isn't much reason to think we'll get any worse on the DL next year. They were pretty good this season, only getting better as the season progressed. We were also playing like almost all freshman and sophomores.

Kasa True Freshman
    Cunningham True Sophomore
    Pericak Redshirt Freshman
    West True Freshman
    Bonsu True Freshman
    Then I'm not sure how much some of the other guys played. Goree/Obi/Kaynor etc.

29. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

Well done Will. :thumbsup:

30. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

Atta boy Will!