1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Pac-12 gain bowl tie-ins?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, May 11, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Currently, the Pac-10 has the following tie-ins:

The Pac-12 Conference has six bowl tie-ins.[11]
    #1 Bowl Championship Series. As of 2011, the winner of the Pac-12 Championship Game gains an automatic berth to a BCS bowl game, preferentially the Rose Bowl. ($18 million payout)
    #2 The Alamo Bowl receives the second choice of Pac-10 teams. ($2.25 million)
    #3 The Holiday Bowl receives the third choice of Pac-10 teams. ($2.05 million)
    #4 The Sun Bowl receives the fourth choice of Pac-10 teams. ($1.9 million)
    #5 The Maaco Bowl receives the fifth choice of Pac-10 teams. ($1.0 million)
    #6 The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl receives the sixth choice of Pac-10 teams. ($0.85 million)
    Starting in the 2012-2013 season, the Pacific-12 will send a team to the New Mexico Bowl, to play against a Mountain West Conference team. ($0.75 million)

With the addition of CU and Utah, the natural would be to steal one from the Big 12, which lost 2 members. The gain of the New Mexico Bowl gives us 7, while we really should be at 8.

Here are the Big 12 bowl tie-ins:

Big 12 Conference
    2010-2013:[2]
    #1 Bowl Championship Series. As of 2011, the Big 12 regular season champion receives an automatic berth in a BCS Bowl game, preferentially the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. ($18 million payout)
    #2 The Cotton Bowl Classic receives the second choice of Big 12 teams. ($3 million)
    #3 The Alamo Bowl receives the third choice of Big 12 teams. ($2.25 million)
    #4 The Insight Bowl receives the fourth choice of Big 12 teams. ($2.35 million)
    #5 The Holiday Bowl receive the fifth choice of Big 12 teams. ($2.05 million)
    #6 The Texas Bowl receives the sixth choice of Big 12 teams. ($1.7 million)
    #7 The New Era Pinstripe Bowl receives the seventh choice of Big 12 teams. ($2 million)
    #8 The TicketCity Bowl receives the eighth choice of Big 12 teams following the 2010 and 2012 seasons, while the Military Bowl receives the eighth choice of Big 12 teams following the 2013 season. In addition the TicketCity Bowl or the Military Bowl will have the eighth choice of Big 12 teams if the bowl's primary partners are not available following the 2011 season. (Ticket City = $1.2 million / Military Bowl = $1.0 million)

I'd love to see us go after the Pinstripe Bowl and get that NYC tie-in.

Thoughts?

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? What the mother**** is that?

3. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Insight Bowl would be my choice.

4. Maxer

Maxer Member

It's played at AT&T Park (home of the SF Giants) where Cal will be playing our home games this year while they remodel Memorial Stadium on campus. It used to be right around Christmas but last year they moved it to the day before the NCG (last year was Jan. 9). Used to be called the Emerald Bowl (as in the nuts and snacks company, not the precious stone). In CA we still refer to it as "The Nut Bowl".

5. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Logical choice is the Insight unless you could match a PAC team with an East Coast team in the Pinstripe. Pinstripe would be nice exposure for the teams/conf on the media biased East Coast

6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl sounds really, really stupid. I hope CU gets a better bowl than that.

7. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

At this point does anyone want to bet against the idea that Larry Scott will be able to improve the league's bowl situation?

8. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Why are the payouts so much more for the Big 12 bowl games?

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

$$$$$$$$$

They'd probably get a higher seed from us, given the payout, than the Big 12 sends. Would be a very good move for the conference and the bowl.

10. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

I would love the Pinstripe Bowl tie-in... might be the only time to see CU on the east coast. The only problem is that I would rather us not have to settle for a bowl that far down the pecking list. :smile2:

11. Maxer

Maxer Member

Tom Hansen.

12. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

The Fight Hunger bowl is even dumber than the Beef o Brady Bowl.

If we are going to go to the East Coast, I would prefer a Florida location rather than the North East.

The Outback or the Champs Sports Bowl

13. Maxer

Maxer Member

I think it's going to be an uphill road to get a bowl tie-in with an East Coast bowl. Especially considering the PAC is not known to travel real well, especially for 2nd tier bowl games.

I'm sure Scott will be looking to improve the bowl tie-ins, but I'd take better payouts and matchups. Not going to hold my breath for an East Coast game.

14. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

When did the Pac 10/12 drop the Las Vegas bowl tie-in?

15. ximianKernel

ximianKernel Member

Maaco Bowl is the Las Vegas Bowl

16. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Wasnt the Insight the bowl we kicked BC's ass?

17. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Jashon Sykes scored a TD that game.... it was in 1999.

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Take the Fiesta bowl from the bigtex conference. Any conference with uTerus as a member can't be tied to a "clean" bowl.

19. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

I already like what the Pac has done to improve their bowl position (historically about as far behind as their TV contract was).

Adding the Alamo Bowl as the #2 was a big upgrade. Bringing in the ACC as the partner in the Sun Bowl adds a new flavor to the matchups.

I would like to see them get a game a little further to the east. The Music City Bowl vs an SEC opponent would be a great and realistic matchup, IMO.

Otherwise, I think the Insight Bowl is the most likely addition.

If they did add the Insight and kept the Big 12 as a partner in that game, I would like to see them revamp the Holiday Bowl and see if we can bring an SEC team out to the west coast.