1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wilner: P12 would take OU/OSU w/o UT, OU/UT relationship root of B12 problems

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Jens1893, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Interesting stuff on the Pac taking the Okies without Texas ....

2. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Thanks Jens. I wish we could focus on football instead of all this bull****.

3. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I just wish the damn Big 12 teams thinking of leaving would either **** or get off the pot already.

4. Jens1893

I think it´s concerning when the president of what is widely regarded as the best school in the conference, Stanford, doesn´t think sub-par academics are a deal breaker.

5. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

^^this^^

I was pretty sure that one of the reasons CU to the Pac-12 was such a good idea was because we shared more academically with the Pac-12 than Big 12. I suppose money trumps academics anymore.

6. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

The idea that Stanford's academics or academic reputation would be affected by having a school like Oklahoma State in the same athletic conference is ridiculous.

7. Jens1893

Stanford´s academics most likely wouldn´t be affected, but they may not want to be associated with schools like Okie State and have a conference affiliation with them, either.

8. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

And yet they're perfectly comfortable with Oregon State, Washington State, Utah, Arizona State? Sounds just a tad hypocritical.

9. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

'The Big 12 schools in the biggest trouble would be Baylor and Iowa State.
    “They might have to go backwards,” said a source — meaning Conference USA or the Mountain West.'

cue the AB trolls, singing the praises of the mwc. Of course, adding the 'Clowns and Bailer would make them an automatic qualifier -- for a Sams Club discount card

From Gainesville to Knoxville to Baton Rouge, and all points along the way, the feeling among SEC athletic directors can be summed up like this:

“We’ve won five consecutive national titles and the Pac-12 has a richer TV deal than we do. What’s the hell’s going on?”

The brilliance of Larry Scott is staggering.

10. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

This is great news...Texas has a very clear and hard choice to make. Join the Pac-12 and kiss LHN goodbye or go independent.

As a native Oklahoman, I am proud that OU is standing up to UT and yanking their chain!

11. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

OU hasnt done **** yet.

12. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

Wilner is a fantastic read...

13. NashBuff

I only wish CU had as many NCs as OU.

14. Jens1893

I don´t think he´s talking about what happened on the field, but rather about the realignment plans. And right now it´s all talk from Oklahoma, so he´s correct if you look at it from that angle.

15. NashBuff

Anyone realize that this might be a message from the Pac-12 that if the SEC doesn't expand the Pac-12 will stay intact. If Aggy catches wind of this...the meltdown on the Aggy boards will be beyond epic.

16. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

If it is true that the SEC can renegotiate their TV deal with an expanded conference, I think it is very likely that the SEC WILL expand.

17. GoBeers

GoBeers Club Member Club Member

This guy says that it's very possible that adding A&M won't trigger a renegotiation with ESPN/CBS.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44329182

ESPN/CBS have to be against any renegotiation - it's just more money they have to pony up after the p12 deal trumped the sec deal. ESPN probably hates A&M to SEC on two fronts because it's threatening the existence of their b12 content as well as the LHN and the above chance of having to pay the SEC more.

This source says that the ESPN contract with the big 12 is dead as soon as membership drops below ten teams. So A&M to SEC could have a huge impact on the B12 even if they have other members lined up. And that's exactly why OU and UT are aggressively looking.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/how-espn-is-complicating-am-to-sec-deal.php

Not sure who the second guy is.... I think he's totally off base when he states that ESPN is inducing A&M to move to the SEC (again, wouldn't they be against it on two fronts), but the supposed clause that kills the B12 TV deal when the conference drops to 9 schools makes b12 existence even more perilous. Any one school that gets tired of the non-sense can make the first move.