What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's exhibition

jsmilkst

Club Member
Club Member
Didn't see it, but looked about the way you expect to win an exhibition game. Nice stat lines from the rookies. Anybody go and have a comment on the performance? Ready for the weekend. ..

Watched online since I live out of state. Weren't very many people there from the looks of it. One fan wearing a C-Unit shirt and another student. Saw BeBe on the screen.

Kresl was the floor general. Freshman Brecca Thomas got her feet wet at the point and looked better than I expected for a freshmen. Had a ton of offensive rebounds but that was because the inside shooting was so poor against no competition. Could easily have scored 100 points if Coach hadn't put in the freshmen and inexperienced players.

Does anybody know why Bri Watts is listed as a sophomore? She didn't play a single minute last season. I thought that qualified her for a red shirt.

Unknown. But good to see she started and put up a nice line, even if in exhibition. Extremely valuable if she can spend time inside and allow Jamee outside the block a bit to work. I didn't see any mention of Jen Reese in the write up, did she play? Couldn't find a complete box score. ..

Bri looked pretty good ... in fact better than I was expecting since she is still, imo, carrying a few extra pounds. I really liked the way she looked to score when she got the ball in the post ... although, as mentioned earlier, the shooting accuracy from both Bri and Zoe Correal left a bit to be desired. First college play for both these ladies so I expect they will improve as they get used to playing at this level. For now they were padding their rebound stats!

Lexi played quite well as the point, as Buffgal said plus she got off a couple of nice 3 pointers, which she didn't do much of last season when she had to play the point. Brecca Thomas is really short and she has obviously known that she needed other things to allow her to play well at this level. She clearly has spent significant time in a weight room prior to arriving in Boulder this past summer. That is unusual for a freshman in WBB. Brecca has to learn when she can drive and when she can't. She tried a drive against Pueblo's 6'2" senior post (a gal from Broomfield who is BY FAR their best player) and just ran into trouble. Later she had almost the same play but this time against someone closer to her own 5'5" height and she looked really good. She also has a nice mid range shot ... something that the Buffs have been lacking except for Jen Reese.

Speaking of Jen, she played but didn't look sharp. She seemed somewhat slow and almost a bit timid compared to what I remember seeing from her previously. I was wondering if maybe she wasn't feeling 100% although Coach Finley had said all players were healthy (except of course Arielle) in her pre-game visit to the club room. The rest of the returning players looked about as I expected they would ... with a bit of game time rust getting knocked off.

Zoe Correal had some nice post play also but clearly needs to develop more. Better shot accuracy, better box out, etc. The freshman from Germany, Alina Hartmann, has a lot to learn about basketball in the USA versus in Europe. The game is much more physical here and she seems fine with playing that way but needs to learn what she can do and what will be called a foul. She ran a really sweet give and go (or maybe it was a pick and roll .... she was on the bench side of the court for the play and I sit on the other side so there were several bodies partially blocking my view) in the second half, giving herself an easy layup in the process.

Last edited:
Lexy also hit 3 FTs when fouled on a 3 point shot and they swished.

Remember Whitney Houston took a while before she figured out she could not drive on big and tall players. It does not work when you are on of the shorter players on the court unless you get a big step on them.

I had wondered about Jen also. She did appear timid. Hasn't Jen ended every previous season with an injury? I just hope she gets to play the entire season with nobody breaking a bone in her face or elsewhere.

Box Score & opposing team write up

The box score and game write up from the women's scrimmage are on the CSU Pueblo website. http://www.gothunderwolves.com/sports/wbkb/2014-15/releases/2014110965rnuc Also, the player from Broomfield who scored all the points for Pueblo is Katie Nehf. A great young lady, with a heart wrenching story, who was one of a long line of very solid players Broomfield produced during the 5 consecutive championships. Having had a daughter that played with those girls, it still amazes me that almost none of them got any looks from CU and instead ended up staring at other programs. That being said Ms. Nehf has just continued to grow and get better each year. She really wasn't a D1 prospect coming out of high school. Mostly due to the fact she played wing in high school because she wasn't nearly big enough to play post for Broomfield (No she hasn't grown, still a lanky 6'2"), but at Pueblo she is a post (with skills and range). Sadly for us Buffs it looks like she did quite well against CU and rebounded as well as CU's bigs. Good for Katie...but not a good sign for the lady Buffs.

CU definitely went after Anna Prins when she played for Broomfield. She ended up at Iowa State. There were pictures at the time of KMM and Bill Fennelly at a Broomfield game, sitting together. Prins' father was from Iowa, but I don't know how much that played in to her decision. I seem to recall her saying she wanted to go out of state. Prins had a rough time in her time at ISU, as she was both sick and later injured. I think she got mono and that knocked her flat for a while. She ending up going home to recuperate and sat near us at a CU game. I definitely would have loved to have seen her in a Buff uniform.

The player on her team that ended up at Wyoming was interested in a major that CU didn't have. She had to do what was in her best interests.

Back