What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Woody Paige: Demote or fire Bieniemy and hire Bob Stitt from Mines as OC

While its an intriguing idea, its a doubtful outcome, imo.

I have no idea what the head football coach at Colorado School of Mines makes in pay, but I would venture a guess it is at or near what Eric Bieniemy is currently receiving as Colorado's offensive (and I mean that literally) coordinator. (Bieniemy's salary is $425,000 - which will be quite a bit for a running back's coach).

But aside from the pay, would Mr. Stitt give up his position as head coach at Mines (a job he has had for 14 years now) to take what is very likely a one (1) year job at Colorado?? That seems a pretty risky move, with little reward.
Yes he'd do it as long as the wife is on board. Flagship school that needs help, I'd look everywhere.

I think they could probably get him to sign on - as long as he was promised a legit chance at the head coaching spot if the staff is let go after one year.

The fact that Mines is able to do *anything* at all positive on the football field is a minor miracle - seriously, it's Mines! It's not exactly a destination for athletic talent of any type or level. And, seriously, it might actually get me to tune in and watch games next season.

Not sure if already mentioned, but I'm pretty sure there was an article from about 2009, probably by Paige, where it was written that Stitt's name was brought up to D2 as an offensive coach and he balked at the idea.

I like Stitt, the fact that he's been able to accomplish what he has at Mines, says something about his ability. Whether it would work at CU, can't say for sure, but I would be curious what he could do with Dillon/Sefo and the return of PRich.

I did like Woody's comment about EB's "etch a sketch" playbook.

Not really sure what to say about Stitt. It sounds like he's a pretty progressive coach who has some innovative ideas on offense. Is he similar to Chip Kelly in any way?

Not really sure what to say about Stitt. It sounds like he's a pretty progressive coach who has some innovative ideas on offense. Is he similar to Chip Kelly in any way?

Here's a feature from Channel 4, he's implemented the hurry-up in the last couple years: http://minesnewsroom.com/mines-in-the-news/cbs-4-highlights-mines-football-offense

And here's some game highlights from last fall, O looks similar to WVU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M. http://www.hudl.com/team/16473/#highlights/2232817

At first it sounded like a good idea, but Im not so sure on second thought.

Hiring Stitt is a big time risk. I agree with others here saying we need someone with more exp. Especially IF Embree is still HC.

Here's a feature from Channel 4, he's implemented the hurry-up in the last couple years: http://minesnewsroom.com/mines-in-the-news/cbs-4-highlights-mines-football-offense

And here's some game highlights from last fall, O looks similar to WVU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M. http://www.hudl.com/team/16473/#highlights/2232817

Thanks.

I think I'm quite in favor of this. I usually hate to advocate hiring a coach with zero big time football experience, but maybe it's overrated? Look at some of the recent top OCs in the game:

Chip Kelly: offensive coach at a bunch of tiny schools back east. Literally no experience in big time football until Oregon hired him.
Chad Morris: A couple of years as a HC in high school, 1 year at Tulsa and now he's being paid more than most of our coaching staff as the OC at Clemson.
Gus Malzahn: Spent a lot of time in Arkansas high school football and then was given the big move up as Arkansas OC.

I want to throw Kliff Kingsbury in here too: Spent very little time in the coaching ranks at Houston before becoming the OC. He's doing pretty damn good at A&M currently.

Point being: I guess a lot of experience isn't a prerequisite for being a good OC. If you're a smart guy, it seems to work. It doesn't hurt that these guys all had some solid talent on hand, so I doubt we'd experience the domination these guys have had, but I doubt we'd be having the issues we have under EB.

At first it sounded like a good idea, but Im not so sure on second thought.

Hiring Stitt is a big time risk. I agree with others here saying we need someone with more exp. Especially IF Embree is still HC.

When you're in a spot like we are in, risk/high variance is a good thing. If it turns out poorly, it's hard to imagine it being worse than what we saw this season. But if it turns out well, it is a huge improvement. That's a much different situation than if you are a team who has stagnated around 6-6. In that case you would know you need to make an improvement, but if it turns out poorly you have a lot more to lose. We have nothing to lose. There is no better time to take a big risk than now.

Also, all of that ignores that you're going to have a very hard time getting anyone who is good and has lots of experience to walk into our/Embree's situation. Stitt seems to believe strongly enough in his offense and his coaching abilities to do it. He's also used to working with less. I'm on the StittOC bandwagon.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/...orado-school-of-mines-football-team/#comments

Slightly more lengthy article about Bob Stitt of School of Mines. Interesting read.

Then the head coach at Texas Tech, Mike Leach contacted Stitt about trading film, because he wanted to see how the Orediggers were running the ball so well in a passing offense. According to Stitt, Leach was impressed with what he saw. Holgorsen was an assistant coach under Leach, so it is likely then that Holgorsen first was introduced to Stitt’s Fly Sweep play, or what Holgorsen calls, “Quick.”
Later, Holgorsen would become the offensive coordinator at the University of Houston, a program long recognized for scoring many points. With quarterback phenom Case Keenum, Houston has only kept up with its notoriety of scoring many points. Under Holgorsen and today, Houston uses Stitt’s Fly Sweep play. Stitt himself was there when Keenum learned how to properly complete the play.
... Dana was working with the quarterbacks and he kind of noticed me. He said, “what are you doing here?” and asked if I saw him running the Fly Sweep. I asked him why they weren’t putting it into the air. He said he had forgotten that part of the play,” said Stitt.
Thereafter, Stitt showed Keenum how to run the play. It took Stitt three minutes to instruct the quarterback how to run the play. Since then, Houston has relied heavily on the play to amass points.

Last edited:
I was reading about CSU-Pueblo. Wristen has really done a good job there. I am not advocating him as HC. I don't know enough about him. What has he done down there to make them as good as they are? I mean, they strated from scratch there and are now nationally ranked.

We need a new staff...a big name that will cost ~$2-3 million...someone who can salvage recruiting, bring some excitement and has a ****ing clue when it comes to Xs and Os.

we really have fallen far, we are now envious of Mines and CSU-Pueblo.

Where we have really fallen far is either of those teams would comfortably beat Colorado, and Colorado has immensely more talent.

Paige is an idot. He was the biggest supporter of CU hiring Logan the last time and that is all I need to know he is not a talking mouth for the AD. He is a guy that uses his position to stir the pot. Not disagreeing with his thought of demoting or firing of EB, but he is not a CU sage by any means.

If you're going to do this band-aid, you might as well go hire Hal Mumme as OC from McMurry in Texas...

we really have fallen far, we are now envious of Mines and CSU-Pueblo.

If you are going to be thinking anyway, why not think [del]big[/del] provencal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fact that the players are so confused on their assignments play a big part of that.

In all honesty, this is what it looks like from Alaska. I love these guys and from a personal and non-objective standpoint will continue to be loyal. That said, it looks like the players do not know their assignments and as a result are not able to play full-speed.

Back