What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Youth movement. Which 2018 newcomers will make the rotation this camp?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
In 2017, we signed 26 guys in a class that 247sports rated #35 in the nation. (27 guys if we include Olver who stayed like a day and returned to Australia.)

Moretti, Nixon, Polley, Van Diest, Shenault, Lang, Lytle, Landman, Poplawski, Callier, Miller, Bell, Edwards, Fontenot, Wigley, Sherman, Sparaco, Newman, Jackson, Hamilton, Lewis, George, Paige, Wells, Mulumba and Stefanou.

Of those, all but Sparaco return and we had 3 starters (Edwards, Mulumba and Wigley) with 7 more who played their first year (Nixon, Shenault, Callier, Stefanou, Landman and Poplawski plus Sparaco).

It looks like that 2017 class was a huge success for our Buffs. At least half that class will at least challenge for starting jobs and be in our 2-deep in their 2nd year.

2018 is another big group of guys.

It includes 3 guys who were quasi 2017 additions with Brown (transfer who had to redshirt) along with 2 greyshirts in Sami and Roddick. In addition to those 3, we have new guys in 2018 with 6 early enrollees in Taylor, Jones, Abrams, Maddox, Robinson, Johnson and Ray (UCLA greyshirt who flipped to CU), then the summer additions in Stanley, Thomas, Arias, Stenstrom, Antwine, Moore, Smith, Fillip, Gustav, Broussard, Finau, Wallace, Hypolite, Jynes, Tchangam and Kutsch.

That's a total of 27 newcomers. These classes make up 52 of the 85 roster spots, so it's almost a complete transformation of the roster since the 2016 season and it looks like a lot of youth is going to play.

Edit: Left McMillian off somehow. 28 newcomers for 2018 with 53/85 scholarship players joining after the 2016 season.

The 2018 class was rated #52 by 247sports, but the rank is a little wonky because it doesn't include Ray (a 4* recruit). It's legitimately a Top 40 class again.

Of those new 27 for 2018, who plays this year? Who might actually start?

Assuming no injuries so there's no one forced up the depth chart (this is based on straight competition), I've got Taylor as a stone cold lock to start with Abrams, Jones, Johnson, Antwine, Tchangam, Ray, Fillip and Kutsch as guys who could potentially end up starters. I also see Hypolite and Maddox playing.

I wanted to include Stanley and Arias, but I just don't see a way to get them on the field enough to justify not redshirting them when we know that Winfree, Ento, MacIntyre, Shenault, Brown and Nixon are going to play a ton at WR with Jackson and Bell coming off their redshirt years and also ready to contribute. It's hard to imagine an 8th guy finding his way heavily into that rotation.

I'm excited about the youth on this team.

Last edited:
2018 guys:
Taylor and Abrams are day 1 starters.
Antwine, Johnson, Maddox, Kutsch, Brown and Tchangam start out as rotational guys who end up playing a lot down the stretch. (we seem to really be underestimating Brown but he brings a home threat we don't really have at the moment with Shenault, Winfree, Ento, Nixon and Mac)
Fillip, Ray, Stanley and Jones are all wild cards depending on development over this summer and injuries.

2017 redshirt guys:
Moretti, Miller and Sherman all start from day one.
Lang, Fontenot and Wells are solid rotational/depth pieces.
Paige, Jackson and Lytle are all dependent on development/injuries. I also really want to put Polley in this group because I think he has the most talent from the 2017 o line class but I just can't until I see him in fall camp or we get reports from Buffalo Brad (I think?) that he up around 290 again soon.

Players that already contributed in 2017 that I didn't count: Shenault, Callier, Nixon, Edwards, Malumba, Wigley, Landman, Pop

I think Stanley is eventually going to find his way to the other side of the line of scrimmage. The combination of his athleticism and the glut of talent at WR, along with the relative thinness of the defensive secondary makes him a great candidate to redshirt and come in as a RS Freshman and get serious playing time as a DB.

I have no clue who will contribute this year as a true Freshman, but defense is where we seem to be thinnest, so the opportunities will be greater there.

This could be a really good year for the Buffs. Overall it looks like a corner has finally been turned on talent.
Yeah there is some good young talent on this team right now. No matter if we have a good season and Mac leaves or we have to find a different coach after a disappointing season, 2019 should be a good opportunity for whoever is coaching this team to take a step forward.

In 2017, we signed 26 guys in a class that 247sports rated #35 in the nation. (27 guys if we include Olver who stayed like a day and returned to Australia.)

Moretti, Nixon, Polley, Van Diest, Shenault, Lang, Lytle, Landman, Poplawski, Callier, Miller, Bell, Edwards, Fontenot, Wigley, Sherman, Sparaco, Newman, Jackson, Hamilton, Lewis, George, Paige, Wells, Mulumba and Stefanou.

Of those, all but Sparaco return and we had 3 starters (Edwards, Mulumba and Wigley) with 7 more who played their first year (Nixon, Shenault, Callier, Stefanou, Landman and Poplawski plus Sparaco).

It looks like that 2017 class was a huge success for our Buffs. At least half that class will at least challenge for starting jobs and be in our 2-deep in their 2nd year.

2018 is another big group of guys.

It includes 3 guys who were quasi 2017 additions with Brown (transfer who had to redshirt) along with 2 greyshirts in Sami and Roddick. In addition to those 3, we have new guys in 2018 with 6 early enrollees in Taylor, Jones, Abrams, Maddox, Robinson, Johnson and Ray (UCLA greyshirt who flipped to CU), then the summer additions in Stanley, Thomas, Arias, Stenstrom, Antwine, Moore, Smith, Fillip, Gustav, Broussard, Finau, Wallace, Hypolite, Jynes, Tchangam and Kutsch.

That's a total of 27 newcomers. These classes make up 52 of the 85 roster spots, so it's almost a complete transformation of the roster since the 2016 season and it looks like a lot of youth is going to play.

Edit: Left McMillian off somehow. 28 newcomers for 2018 with 53/85 scholarship players joining after the 2016 season.

The 2018 class was rated #52 by 247sports, but the rank is a little wonky because it doesn't include Ray (a 4* recruit). It's legitimately a Top 40 class again.

Of those new 27 for 2018, who plays this year? Who might actually start?

Assuming no injuries so there's no one forced up the depth chart (this is based on straight competition), I've got Taylor as a stone cold lock to start with Abrams, Jones, Johnson, Antwine, Tchangam, Ray, Fillip and Kutsch as guys who could potentially end up starters. I also see Hypolite and Maddox playing.

I wanted to include Stanley and Arias, but I just don't see a way to get them on the field enough to justify not redshirting them when we know that Winfree, Ento, MacIntyre, Shenault, Brown and Nixon are going to play a ton at WR with Jackson and Bell coming off their redshirt years and also ready to contribute. It's hard to imagine an 8th guy finding his way heavily into that rotation.

I'm excited about the youth on this team.
Nice piece

Good piece Nik. Agree with Not Sure that best opportunities for newcomers exist on defense. Taylor for sure and I like Tchangam and Lang to work into rotation and be factors down the stretch. On offense, McMillian starts day-one. Moretti needs to start day one, as does Purcell. I’m hoping Kutch can rotate in and take someone’s job down the stretch.

Good piece Nik. Agree with Not Sure that best opportunities for newcomers exist on defense. Taylor for sure and I like Tchangam and Lang to work into rotation and be factors down the stretch. On offense, McMillian starts day-one. Moretti needs to start day one, as does Purcell. I’m hoping Kutch can rotate in and take someone’s job down the stretch.

If what you suggest here happens it could be big. A guy doesn't have to start to make an impact on defense. We play in a league that has some highly talented offenses that play fast, our defense is going to be facing a lot of plays.

Across the PAC we see teams do well on defense through three quarters then break down in the fourth and give up big plays, we did it multiple times last year as our defensive players tired and lost their edge.

If 4-5 of the newcomers can come in and earn 10-20 plays a game giving the front line guys some quality rest it could end up making us a much better fourth quarter defense.

I checked and somebody posted this on the CU News board, but not many view that. This Buff isn't going to break into any rotation, but what a totally fine young man: http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31904516/buffs-mo-bandi-driven-succeed

Having guys like this around helps set a positive tone to the entire team.

That academic load just sounds ridiculous. I would have had to bust my tail to do well in any one of those majors, he has all three, plus football.

When he is a doctor the pressure isn't going to get to him.

I just watched all of the Spring Fling this morning. Biggest impact guy? Sami.

Dude created havoc. Will be a key player.im not sure Edwards can help. He looked awful.

Oh, and Landman flashed more than any other player. He is much better vs vun than Lewis.

Last edited:
I just watched all of the Spring Fling this morning. Biggest impact guy? Sami.

Dude created havoc. Will be a key player.im not sure Edwards can help. He looked awful.

Oh, and Landman flashed more than any other player. He is much better vs vun than Lewis.
Landman and Lewis play different positions. To your point though, Landman flashes the most on the entire defense in my opinion. I think dude is going to be a star. I'm not a big fan of Gamboa due to his limited athletic ability, but he knows his ****. Lewis is very athletic, but doesn't know his ****.

Landman and Lewis play different positions. To your point though, Landman flashes the most on the entire defense in my opinion. I think dude is going to be a star. I'm not a big fan of Gamboa due to his limited athletic ability, but he knows his ****. Lewis is very athletic, but doesn't know his ****.
Well put :D

It sounds like Lewis has grown more comfortable in his understanding of the defense since last season. From one of Howell’s post-spring practice articles:

Spring wound up being big for Lewis, too. As talented as he is, Lewis often relied on Gamboa last season. Gamboa is widely praised for his knowledge of the entire defense and his ability to almost be like a coach on the field. At times this spring, the Buffs purposely took Gamboa off the field to force Lewis, Jones and Landman to get closer to Gamboa's level of knowing the entire defense.

"I think it needed to be a step, and it was," Els said. "Every team in the country is going to say the same thing: 'Our returning players are smarter than what they were before,' and Drew is certainly one of those guys.”

I’m excited to see what he can do.

It sounds like Lewis has grown more comfortable in his understanding of the defense since last season. From one of Howell’s post-spring practice articles:

I’m excited to see what he can do.
I'm excited for Lewis as well. If can play without thinking too much and get to the correct read, he could be an all conference player. He needs to put it all together. He's an easy guy to root for and hope he has a great season.

Landman and Lewis play different positions.

Yes and no. They both are playing an ILB position and Lewis' run support is much more of a liability than the limited athleticism of Gamboa imo.

The two best need to be on the field for any given situation, not to mention to stay fresh. Landsman can play both spots ( but not at the same time).

If Gamboa or Lewis play even close to the same number of snaps as last season, we are in trouble.

If Gamboa or Lewis play even close to the same number of snaps as last season, we are in trouble.
Agreed. Els admitted that he had to pull Lewis off the field a lot toward the end of the season because he was too banged up.

It sounds like that won’t be the case this season. Another quote from him in the article above is that he’d “love to be able to play four guys and right now we feel we can do that.”

Lewis and landman seem like the perfect combination of run stopping ability and athleticism. Hopefully that plays or more and more as the season goes on.

Back