What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO DT Lexington Smith (Signed to Northern Colorado)

Scheufele is going to Harvard.

All-Region Team BDC

According to an older Rivals article, he's got a 4.23 GPA, scored a 29 on the ACT and wants to study medicine. Sounds like a great kid.

Oh great.
I just spent 20 minutes optimistically putting together Scheufele's recruit profile, since he actually mentioned CU in one article as a possibility.

On what planet is Harvard > greater than CU?
Pffft. I ask you: Does Harvard have Flatirons? Does Harvard have the Sink? Does Harvard have Pasta Jays? I think not.
Another local kid swayed by the lure of the Ivy league and it's promise of academic superiority.

Not even a whiff from UNC?

Actually, I have two updates from the East High rumor mill, but both close to the source:
- Lexington has an official visit scheduled for UNC this month, their defensive coordinator is making a visit to see Lex this week.
- Lex may have his first offer - it's from another small school. Sounds like he got a text from a coach that indicated as much, waiting on a letter or confirmation.

Found some more rugby information and pics. Like the one where they have like 5 guys trying to bring Lex down.
Here's the information: East won the state championship in high school rugby in spring of 2009. Lexington Smith was a key player on that team.
LexSmithrugbyspring092-1-1.jpg

LexSmithrugbyspring09-1.jpg

Now, I have to figure out how to change this thread title to "Defensive Tackle" instead of OG.

:wow: I would NOT want to tackle him in rugby! Looks to have some serious size.

Now, I have to figure out how to change this thread title to "Defensive Tackle" instead of OG.

I took care of it (and made the changes to the '10 Index and his tags). Also added his site ratings into his profile.

I remember when CU offered Sam Wilder the day before signing day years back at DT. Somebody signed somewhere else or something and they had no DT depth to speak of. He ended up playing oline anyway. I might have the offer timing wrong or other details since its been awhile. Anyway, any chance this guy gets a real late offer if others fall through?

I remember when CU offered Sam Wilder the day before signing day years back at DT. Somebody signed somewhere else or something and they had no DT depth to speak of. He ended up playing oline anyway. I might have the offer timing wrong or other details since its been awhile. Anyway, any chance this guy gets a real late offer if others fall through?

Anything's possible. Even though it may seem like offering Lex is a last-ditch thing, I keep going back to the fact he was the TOP Defensive Tackle at the Nike Camp. And the Nike Camp isn't just Colorado guys, it's a regional thing, with kids from several other states making the trip to participate (California, Texas, Minnesota, NM, MO and others.) So the CU coaches must be aware of him, right now, it has to just be waiting for them to get his senior tape and evaluate it. Maybe he's not what they are looking for, but he seems to have a shot even at this late date.

I posted this ESPN quote a couple of pages back, but here it is again:

Final Nike camp of the year in Boulder, Colo (published June 22, 2009)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4277713

Lexington Smith (Denver/East) was the top defensive tackle at the camp and has some real upside. He's a powerful kid who got better with coaching. He has a solid frame and a nice motor and is definitely a player with the tools to project as a Division I athlete.

Does he like contact on the Rugby field there Kingpants? Is he an aggressive guy or is he just a big athletic body who likes to have fun?

He is a banger for sure. Not afraid of contact. Not sure what the issue is. But UNC would be great for him if he doesn't get a good D-1 look. We start Rugby in this week, so if he is around (he played Basketball last year at East as well, not sure if he is doing that this year), I'll try to see what he is hearing.

He is a banger for sure. Not afraid of contact. Not sure what the issue is. But UNC would be great for him if he doesn't get a good D-1 look. We start Rugby in this week, so if he is around (he played Basketball last year at East as well, not sure if he is doing that this year), I'll try to see what he is hearing.

Cool. When you see him, ask if he is taking an official visit to New Mexico State this weekend? Because a "friend of a friend" just told me that he is taking a plane ride to Las Cruces to meet some coaches.

New Scout Story -- Last Call for Lex Smith Jan. 8 2010
In the series Last Call, PrepColorado will highlight some of the prospects from the class of 2010 that could be a fit for the right program. In part:
... close to home, UNC and CSU Pueblo are looking at Smith. As of now, Smith has an official visit set up to UNC the final week of January. Further from home, Glendale Community College (AZ) and Arizona Western have contacted Smith. California Jucos including the College of San Mateo and College of San Francisco are also looking at Smith. In mid December, Arizona State made an in school visit to check about Smith.

Coaching trivia: NM State just hired Mike Dunbar as Offensive Coordinator -- he was at the University of Minnesota as the Gophers' assistant head coach/offensive coordinator from 2007 to 2008. Prior to Minnesota, Dunbar was the offensive coordinator at Cal. Seems like a nice pickup for New Mexico State.

Another video has been posted on Lex. If you only watch the first 5 seconds, you'll still get to see a 265-lb tackle scoop up a fumbled ball and score a touchdown.

[video=youtube;mIiJqsxImMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIiJqsxImMY[/video]

Last edited:
I just heard from a source with some good intel on Lexington Smith.

file.php

Confirmed the scheduled visits last weekend (New Mexico State), next weekend (Montana State) and the following weekend (Northern Colorado). Also confirmed the offer form from Montana State.

Scoop 1 - Lex also has a N. Colorado offer

Scoop 2 - Lex will be a full qualifier

Scoop 3 - CSU coaches are visiting him Friday before he leaves for his Montana State visit.

Scoop 4 - On Tuesday, following his Montana State visit, a CU coach is visiting Lex at East High. East's coach is Ron Woolfork from CU's national championship team and is being an asset as CU makes a late push. The big question is going to be whether CU is committed or just lining up a backup plan. The bigger question is whether Lex will have felt enough of the love from CU to want to be a Buff.

Stay tuned.

Totally agree. I think CU may have offered a preferred walkon. I doubt they are going to late offer this guy.

Totally agree. I think CU may have offered a preferred walkon. I doubt they are going to late offer this guy.

Like they did with Kai, Jalil, Speedy and Will Jefferson?

CU needs a true DT this class and Lex fits the bill. The kid has talent and is a beast when motivated. I have no problem with the staff "settling" on this kid

Like they did with Kai, Jalil, Speedy and Will Jefferson?

CU needs a true DT this class and Lex fits the bill. The kid has talent and is a beast when motivated. I have no problem with the staff "settling" on this kid

All those guys you mentioned were late additions to strong position units. They were not the ONLY players taken at their positions in their respective classes. A bit of a difference, don't you think?

All those guys you mentioned were late additions to strong position units. They were not the ONLY players taken at their positions in their respective classes. A bit of a difference, don't you think?

Its rare (unless its CU) that you see a true freshman DTackle contribute and make a difference....Smith is as physically ready as Bonsu and more so than Cunningham. Lex doesnt have Curtis' motor, but given CUs young depth at DT and NG they dont need him to contribute immediately.
Again, CU needs a true DT this class and Smith more than fits the bill.

Its rare (unless its CU) that you see a true freshman DTackle contribute and make a difference....Smith is as physically ready as Bonsu and more so than Cunningham. Lex doesnt have Curtis' motor, but given CUs young depth at DT and NG they dont need him to contribute immediately.
Again, CU needs a true DT this class and Smith more than fits the bill.

I do not buy he is not as physically ready as Bonsu, but agree to disagree. If this guy was not in-state, no one on this board would be clamoring for him.

I think the difference is they saw those guys and offered them almost immediately, but late in the process (at least with Will, Speedy, and Jalil for sure). I think with Kai, they wanted to offer him but they had no room. He was definitely a second choice guy. (and yes, the 2nd choicers are sometimes better than the 1st choices as it turns out).

They've seen Lex at camps and they know him. If they haven't offered him by now, then he's on the border at best or a non-offer at worst. This could be b/c of ability or it could be that they were waiting for grades to come in. Maybe Hawk wants to placate Syko and feels he needs a DT no matter what.....

I hope he's a big time player that we think is a can't miss prospect and he's a steal because no one else thought he could get past the NCAA admission hurdles. Deja Vu!

I do not buy he is not as physically ready as Bonsu, but agree to disagree. If this guy was not in-state, no one on this board would be clamoring for him.

He beat out many out of state kids to win the DT MVP at the nike camp here in boulder....If he was an out of state kid you would still have people asking why the staff wasnt in on a kid who impressed here in town and has all of the physical measurables you look for.

He is not my #1 choice for a scholarship by any means.....but CU can and has done a lot worse than a motivated Lex Smith. We are coming down to the 11th hour and I dont know that you are going to find many kids who have other options who want to play for a coach who has not had a winning season in the four years he has been here (cant blame anyone else anymore) and was all but fired after nubraskee.....

Smith's MVP award at the camp may or may not mean much.... I'm quite sure all the college staff's disregard that stuff as they don't trust the judges worth a hoot. CU evaluated him and they either think he's good enough or not. Or they think he's great, but his ability to get into CU IS or WAS in question. Otherwise, this kid has an offer in July 2009.

Last year, we took some risks with Simon, Nuckols, Moten, etc and I think we will do the same this year. That's why I'd like to see us oversign. Hawkins will want two schollies in reserve I believe for late options including Babb.

Clearly there is some difference of oppinion on if Smith is a legit BCS level DT. I do know that he had the size and strength and athletic ability to match up at this level. We are in an enviable position of having a group of young DTs so he would have some time to develop.

I do know that DT is a position that is awfully hard to hide if you don't have enough of them. I have never heard of a team that got hurt by having to many big, athletic guys.

Maybe they have a better option lined up but if not I don't understand not taking a shot on him. We are not going to be oversigned, if he doesn't qualify we don't lose someone else because of him, if he can be coached he may turn into something special or at least very good with his athletic ability. You don't play rugby if you are a slow, fat, uncoordinated guy with no stamina or don't have a liking for contact.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Very well stated, and I'm in complete agreement. You can't teach the size and speed combination that he apparently has, but it can be turned into something special.

Smith ended up visiting NMSU last weekend. They are waiting on whether or not some other DTs are going to accept their offer before they do (if they do). Being an NMSU I'd love for this guy to suit up for State if he doesn't end up wearing the BnG (as a walkon or last second scholarship).

DeWayne Walker is recruiting pretty damn good for NMSU. I think Smith would probably become more of a developed player on that squad with that coaching staff than here, sadly.

How do you think Walker is doing as HC? When we all thought Hawk was on his way out, Walker was one of the guys I thought might be a pretty good replacement.

How do you think Walker is doing as HC? When we all thought Hawk was on his way out, Walker was one of the guys I thought might be a pretty good replacement.

Walker is doing good things down at NMSU. Their D was much, much better last year than any year under Mumme. They didn't win very many games, but the program has been burned down to the ground since just about it's existence. He inherited a mess and while the WAC is no Big 12 when it comes to football there are some decent teams.

I think a lot of NMSU fans are just hoping he does well and leaves the program better off than what he inherited. I think that's what you ask for most coaches, unless you are one of the elite programs in the nation like OSU, UT, etc... He'll be given another 3 years before questions are raised.

To be real honest here, I think NMSU has a better coach than CU does right now. For all everyone says about how bad things are here at CU, at NMSU they are 10x worse. He turns that program around and you have one of the best coaches in the nation.

Update on one of my Denver East alums, Lexington Smith.
The Ravens also agreed to terms with Iowa State outside linebacker-defensive end Cory Morrissey, Ohio State offensive tackle Darryl Baldwin, Harvard offensive lineman Nick Easton, Louisiana-Monroe punter-kicker Justin Manton, Rutgers offensive lineman Kaleb Johnson, BYU offensive lineman De'Ondre Wesley, Mississippi State offensive tackle Blaine Clausell, Troy offensive lineman Terrence Jones and San Jose State offensive lineman David Peterson and Northern Colorado defensive tackle Lexington Smith, according to sources.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...drafted-free-agent-20150502-story.html#page=1

Update on one of my Denver East alums, Lexington Smith.
The Ravens also agreed to terms with Iowa State outside linebacker-defensive end Cory Morrissey, Ohio State offensive tackle Darryl Baldwin, Harvard offensive lineman Nick Easton, Louisiana-Monroe punter-kicker Justin Manton, Rutgers offensive lineman Kaleb Johnson, BYU offensive lineman De'Ondre Wesley, Mississippi State offensive tackle Blaine Clausell, Troy offensive lineman Terrence Jones and San Jose State offensive lineman David Peterson and Northern Colorado defensive tackle Lexington Smith, according to sources.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...drafted-free-agent-20150502-story.html#page=1

Pretty cool, good for him. Anyone the Ravens bring in (especially defensive players) is a solid player. I saw his signing bonus was $1,000. Not exactly rolling in it!

Pretty cool, good for him. Anyone the Ravens bring in (especially defensive players) is a solid player. I saw his signing bonus was $1,000. Not exactly rolling in it!

If he can make it to the practice squad it's $4,000 a week though.

Good to see him getting a shot at the dream.

Back