What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO K Kip Smith (Signed to UCLA)

Re: '10 CO K Kip Smith (Committed to UCLA)

I think Grossnickle is practicing as a punter.

Well, yeah, of course he is, Dilallo is graduating and Goodman isn't, so he's practicing the skill that's going to get him on the field next year. That doesn't mean he isn't interested in kicking, too. Unless, of course, you know something.

I think Grossnickle is practicing as a punter.

You're correct. We have only DiLallo and Grossnickle as punters, and DiLallo plays his last game Friday, so that leaves just one on the roster. Goodman was listed as backup punter on the depth chart (after Darrell left), but never found any indication he's played the position.

Goodman is backed up by two other kickers, Aweida and Kirkwood. So it was the coaches' decision to move Grossnickle to punter, although he was recruited as a combo guy, and probably better known as a kicker. Since they didn't plan on playing him either way this year, they used the fall season to develop his punting skills, since there is no doubt we'll need someone to punt in 2010.

It will be interesting to see what kind of competition there is for all the k/p spots in the spring.

You're correct. We have only DiLallo and Grossnickle as punters, and DiLallo plays his last game Friday, so that leaves just one on the roster. Goodman was listed as backup punter on the depth chart (after Darrell left), but never found any indication he's played the position.

Goodman is backed up by two other kickers, Aweida and Kirkwood. So it was the coaches' decision to move Grossnickle to punter, although he was recruited as a combo guy, and probably better known as a kicker. Since they didn't plan on playing him either way this year, they used the fall season to develop his punting skills, since there is no doubt we'll need someone to punt in 2010.

It will be interesting to see what kind of competition there is for all the k/p spots in the spring.

Sounds like you wanted Kip, but do you think it would have been a good idea to use another scholly on a kicker? The guy seemed destined for a scholarship so I doubt he would have taken status as a preferred walkon. With so many kickers on scholarship I hate to see good guys go, but best luck to this young man at UCLA.

Hopefully the new staff gets their shi* together in time to put the full court press on him

Sounds like you wanted Kip, but do you think it would have been a good idea to use another scholly on a kicker? The guy seemed destined for a scholarship so I doubt he would have taken status as a preferred walkon. With so many kickers on scholarship I hate to see good guys go, but best luck to this young man at UCLA.

We have 1 punter on scholarship. Zach Grossnickle, who will be a RS-Freshman next year.

We have 1 placekicker on scholarship. Aric Goodman, who will be a senior next year.

That's not a lot (and Goodman's been undependable). I strongly believe we need to recruit a PK in this class.

I think we need a scholly kicker/punter in this class. If not Kip, there are other options.

Kip has a great situation at UCLA that we cannot duplicate: his kicking coach lives in the neighborhood (Chris Sailer, UCLA graduate.) He can work with him anytime. CU kickers see a kicking coach a couple times in the summer, none during the season.

Just the way it is.

I think we need a scholly kicker/punter in this class. If not Kip, there are other options.

Kip has a great situation at UCLA that we cannot duplicate: his kicking coach lives in the neighborhood (Chris Sailer, UCLA graduate.) He can work with him anytime. CU kickers see a kicking coach a couple times in the summer, none during the season.

Just the way it is.

that could be a recruiting violation if the coach is paid

Maybe this thread isn't the right place for this discussion about other players, but do you really think that Grossnickle will be ignored as a kicker? By your own estimation during his recruitment, he is a heckuva kicker. It would seem pretty foolish to not employ the most skilled FG kicker on the roster. And with new coaching, I hope we are past such foolishness.

that could be a recruiting violation if the coach is paid

No, only if the school pays him. Our kickers at CU use private coaches, they just can't use the University facilities or get paid by CU. There was a big article on Goodman in the Camera about how he worked with Matt Thompson* (local coach) to change his steps. Grossnickle works with Paul Assad.

*not the same Matt Thompson who used to spam here.

Last edited:

I`ve coached the kickers at Upland High for the last 10 years, and I`ve had three different kickers put the ball through the uprights on kickoffs several times............and that`s kicking from the 40, which would be a 70 yard kick.

Jake did it three times his freshman year, and we actually used the free kick after a fair catch rule in his last freshman game. He missed a 63 yarder wide left by a yard, that would have been good from 70.

There are quite a few kickers here in California that can kick 70 yarders off a 1" kickoff tee, and they`re doing it at close to sea level, not a mile high.

Ps. Watching the video, Kip did use a 1" kickoff tee. I`m guessing that he meant using a 1" FG block with a holder. That wouldn`t really make a difference, unless he only took FG steps to make the kick, instead of taking a full run at the ball.

I`ve coached the kickers at Upland High for the last 10 years, and I`ve had three different kickers put the ball through the uprights on kickoffs several times............and that`s kicking from the 40, which would be a 70 yard kick.

Not to hijack Kip's thread, but one of our current kickers (who redshirted this year) kicked 3 or 4 kickoffs through the uprights in a single game in the 2008 Colorado playoffs. You can see on this tape:

[video=youtube;FDDZ07UDEHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDZ07UDEHM&feature=channel[/video]

He told Adam at rivals that he is solidly committed to UCLA.

Frankly, while I would love to land Kip, I would actually prefer a guy who didn't have ghe big leg but was automatic inside 45 yards. Goodman gives us what we need on kickoffs. And we have Grossnickle in the program, who can certainly take over in 2011 as the kickoff and long field goal guy.

Frankly, while I would love to land Kip, I would actually prefer a guy who didn't have ghe big leg but was automatic inside 45 yards. Goodman gives us what we need on kickoffs. And we have Grossnickle in the program, who can certainly take over in 2011 as the kickoff and long field goal guy.

Yeah, and I don't wanna sound negative, but I don't want to see several k's/p's on schollie. 2 to 3 seems about right. Anything more and you may be burning 'ships that could be used on another position of need.

We are going to need a K/P in this class. After the seniors (walk-on Kirkwood and Goodman) graduate in 2010, we will have one kicker/punter combo guy left on the roster. The staff must have something up their sleeves, with some kind of a contingency plan.

Report from the UnderArmour practice via Scout.com
Dec. 30, 2009
UA Stock Report: Wednesday

STOCK DOWN
K Kip Smith, Broomfield, CA(Legacy), UCLA Commit
Smith struggled with his kicking accuracy when they went live today.
The leg is plenty strong, but he needs to have more consistency, particularly with his ball striking. He did much better in solo warmups

Trivia: Another player with "STOCK DOWN" is quarterback Nick Montana.

The game - Under Armour All-America Game at Tropicana Field - is nationally televised (11 a.m., ESPN) - Guessing that's 9 a.m. Colorado time.
Here are the rosters - I didn't see many of our recruits, commits or one-time recruiting targets, or other local guys besides Kip at first glance.
Maybe V.J. Fehoko ...

Back