What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO RB Mister Jones (Signed to Texas A&M)

Re: '10 CO RB Mister Jones

FWIW, I think he has some major work to get the ACT score up. The APR concerns need to be a factor here.

I will get ripped for this, but I think we should be focusing on others out of state.

I agree here with Boulder Buff. Based on his ACT score he quoted in a premium interview, Mister is Juco bound at this point. There is a formula that combines GPA and ACT scores, so it's a sliding scale. But without having the formula handy, I can flat out say that there is no GPA on earth getting Mister into college unless he can improve dramatically on that ACT score.

I agree here with Boulder Buff. Based on his ACT score he quoted in a premium interview, Mister is Juco bound at this point. There is a formula that combines GPA and ACT scores, so it's a sliding scale. But without having the formula handy, I can flat out say that there is no GPA on earth getting Mister into college unless he can improve dramatically on that ACT score.

I found it and based on his current ACT score, you would be correct.. this is for the NCAA Clearinghouse:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/2008-09%20CBSA9c29e699-00f6-48ba-98a9-6456c9b98957.pdf

Here is also a schedule showing the composite scores:

http://www.actstudent.org/scores/norms1.html

Right now his score of 17 gives him a composite score of 25. If he can get his goal of 23 then he'll be in good shape. Keep studying Mister!

There is no reason why most any kid that makes it through HS should not be able to get a 23 on their ACT if they try hard and prepare appropriately, so hopefully he pulls it out.

There is no reason why most any kid that makes it through HS should not be able to get a 23 on their ACT if they try hard and prepare appropriately, so hopefully he pulls it out.

I'm not so sure. I know a few people who graduated from High School who I think would have a hard time with the ACT. I found the ACT to be more difficult than the SAT, personally.

The key, as you say, is preparation. If you become proficient enough at taking the test, you'll score pretty well.

I'm not so sure. I know a few people who graduated from High School who I think would have a hard time with the ACT. I found the ACT to be more difficult than the SAT, personally.

The key, as you say, is preparation. If you become proficient enough at taking the test, you'll score pretty well.

I found the ACT more difficult also, mainly because the time restraints on some sections. I think it was the science section where I didn't even get to attempt a few questions because I ran out of time.

We just repaid them by dumping our OC on them. They will be hating us for eternity.

;)

I found the ACT more difficult also, mainly because the time restraints on some sections. I think it was the science section where I didn't even get to attempt a few questions because I ran out of time.

think positive.

He's working on it.
He has many months left to keep taking it.
He really wants to be a buff.

think positive.

He's working on it.
He has many months left to keep taking it.
He really wants to be a buff.

My comment wasn't in regards to him. I am positive about his chances. He knows exactly what he has to do and he has a lot of time to prepare and practice for the test to get that number.

I found it and based on his current ACT score, you would be correct.. this is for the NCAA Clearinghouse:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/2008-09 CBSA9c29e699-00f6-48ba-98a9-6456c9b98957.pdf

Here is also a schedule showing the composite scores:

http://www.actstudent.org/scores/norms1.html

Right now his score of 17 gives him a composite score of 25. If he can get his goal of 23 then he'll be in good shape. Keep studying Mister!

The score on his first ACT test according to his interview on Rivals was 11. Huh?

The score on his first ACT test according to his interview on Rivals was 11. Huh?

A bad score can be a lot of things = test anxiety, not understanding how to take it (like whether you lose points if you guess, or not), etc.
Since he's taking refresher classes or practice tests, some of that will be alleviated. The fact that Mister sounds positive make me think he is getting help from someone that knows how to tutor for the ACT.

But if 11 is true, that is beyond bad. That's either not caring enough to pay attention to the questions, or serious issues and someone that can't cut it in college, let alone CU.

But if 11 is true, that is beyond bad. That's either not caring enough to pay attention to the questions, or serious issues and someone that can't cut it in college, let alone CU.

I have to agree with this assessment. 11 is basically showing up and writing your name down on the test. CU can ill afford many more academic casualties.

I won't pretend to know how a kid handles a mother who has cancer and is basically looked at as the "man of the house," but the academic concerns are legit. The guy would already be a Buff otherwise. Not saying the kid has no shot at making it in, but he has some major work to do. We will not know about this one for a while. Question could end up being will we have room for him.

It's entirely possible that he had the attitude of "hey, I can play football, academics don't matter". We all knew guys like that in high school. Now that he's been told in no uncertain terms that academics do, in fact, matter very much, he may have a different outlook on things. I hope for his sake that he can get this turned around.

Scout posted a similar interview and quoted him as having a 17 on his first try at the ACT. That's a lot more believable, so I'm running with that one. There's no way he had an 11, and if he did, I don't think it would be disclosed!

So I think he's close enough now to make it to CU with some good improvement. I hope this kid is good enough and get's his grades up because I love the story AND the name.

Scout posted a similar interview and quoted him as having a 17 on his first try at the ACT. That's a lot more believable, so I'm running with that one. There's no way he had an 11, and if he did, I don't think it would be disclosed!

So I think he's close enough now to make it to CU with some good improvement. I hope this kid is good enough and get's his grades up because I love the story AND the name.

The last interviews I read all sound positive. He's taking practice tests, retaking the real ones, and nudging into the right numbers one test at a time. Feeling more confident, would be a great next chapter in his story to be at CU and still near enough to be part of his family.

getting an 11 would mean he's dumber than a chimpanzee (seriously a monkey got a 12 i believe). 17 sounds much more reasonable.

getting an 11 would mean he's dumber than a chimpanzee (seriously a monkey got a 12 i believe). 17 sounds much more reasonable.

There are reasons that a student could get an 11 that would relate more to being unprepared to take the test than a reflection of smarts. If you don't know it's okay to guess on the ACT (but not the SAT), for example, you could skip questions out of uncertainty until someone explains it to you.

But here's some background on ACTs to put into perspective.

Also, realize that most schools make their ACT data public, and they know that their reputations depend upon high numbers. A college won’t be considered "highly selective" or "elite" if its students have an average composite ACT score of 19.
So what is a good ACT score? The exam consists of four parts: English Language, Reading, Mathematics and Science. Each category receives a score between 1 (lowest) and 36 (highest). Those four scores are then averaged to generate the composite score used by most colleges. The average composite score is roughly a 20. That is, about 50% of test-takers score below a 20.

What's a good ACT score?

NCAA Sliding Scale

Without knowing Mister Jones' core GPA and SUM ACT scores, we really don't have much to go on.

There are reasons that a student could get an 11 that would relate more to being unprepared to take the test than a reflection of smarts. If you don't know it's okay to guess on the ACT (but not the SAT), for example, you could skip questions out of uncertainty until someone explains it to you.

But here's some background on ACTs to put into perspective.

What's a good ACT score?

NCAA Sliding Scale

Without knowing Mister Jones' core GPA and SUM ACT scores, we really don't have much to go on.

great analysis. i wasn't knocking on mister, just pointing out that he definitely didn't get that score on his first try. with all he's dealing with with his mom, i really hope he can get into CU and be embraced. he certainly deserves it.

with all he's dealing with with his mom, i really hope he can get into CU and be embraced. he certainly deserves it.

Me, too. CU seems like a great fit.

I know a friend of a friend who volunteers at his high school to help students with college counseling, testing, etc.

I won't stick my nose in and ask if she knows Mister (although it's tempting), but I mention this because that I hear Littleton High has the resources - committed volunteers, bless 'em - to work with kids who need assistance in this type of situation. It goes for the average Joe kid and for kids in their IB program (International Baccalaureate).

You CAN bring up an ACT score if you work on the practice tests, have a strategy for taking the test, etc. I have to hope there are people advising him, getting him enrolled in workshops, providing practice. It sounds like it. Not because he's Mister Jones, athlete, but because they do it for any kid at Littleton who needs to prepare for tests.

from his film, I'm not impressed at all. I've seen backs in Kansas that our more impressive. but I also understand he has another season to build on. maybe it was just a ****ty highlight tape. But the commit is good.

from his film, I'm not impressed at all. I've seen backs in Kansas that our more impressive. but I also understand he has another season to build on. maybe it was just a ****ty highlight tape. But the commit is good.
**** you

With a name like Mister Jones, the kid has to be a winner! What other schools were recruiting him?

adam from rivals admitted it is a really ****ty highlight tape. he was averaging 15 yards a carry before he sprained his ankle last year.

Back