What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 JUCO C Guy-Marc Michel (Signed to Indiana)

Good write up. I went through a juco database today looking for power forwards or centers we might be talking to or have CU listed. Only ones I've seen are the ones mentioned here so you have it pinned down seems like. I would think maybe there are some others they are contacting? He absolutely has to sign somebody right?

Good write up. I went through a juco database today looking for power forwards or centers we might be talking to or have CU listed. Only ones I've seen are the ones mentioned here so you have it pinned down seems like. I would think maybe there are some others they are contacting? He absolutely has to sign somebody right?

Supposedly there are a couple we haven't posted. Word is at least 1 juco PF down in Texas that we're talking to.

Hopefully we land this guy or another big rebounding angry guy.

I also have this dream where we have a very effective big man in the system already. I hope that Buzz and staff are kicking Harris-Tunks ass everyday. I want that guy to work on nothing but rebounding and defense everyday this off season. Don't let him shot once, just kick his ass under the boards.

Nik- does he have the ability to become a low post presence, or is that just not in his game?

Nik- does he have the ability to become a low post presence, or is that just not in his game?

Good enough athlete that you can probably teach him a couple post moves to go with a baby hook or something. He's never going to be a big scorer, imo. Lots of work to do in this area.

Good enough athlete that you can probably teach him a couple post moves to go with a baby hook or something. He's never going to be a big scorer, imo. Lots of work to do in this area.

:nod: Yup. Rebounding and blocking shots should be his focus for sure. He's tall and quick enough to be a disruption down low, just needs to put on 15-20 pounds over the off-season.

This is going to come down to Admissions. Looks like Bz would have the inside track if Admissions would clear without requiring additional credits (Gonzaga has cleared his transcript as is).

Rivals - Michel Enjoys Trip to Boulder

The 7-foot-1 center, who originally hails from Martinique, did not begin playing basketball until he was 17 years old.

"I used to play soccer when I was younger but I got too big," said Michel, who has a 7-foot-6 wingspan. "So I started playing basketball, but I got kind of a late start. Basketball is not that popular back home."

Michel enrolled at North Idaho College in the fall of 2008. He excelled as a shot blocker right away but struggled in other facets of the game.

"Sometimes I was lost on the court," Michel admitted. "But I think I got better with my rebounding, shooting. I was more comfortable this last season, I just know more about the game."

+

Michel took an official visit out to Boulder to see what the Buffaloes have to offer this past weekend.

"I like the University; it is not far away from the big city of Denver," Michel said. "Colorado really needs a big man so that would be a good place for me to go. That is why I am interested in them."

+

Michel would have to take a couple extra classes if he chose the Buffs. "I don't know how many, though," he added.

this would be a nice guy to get. I think most big men can see our needs and get themselves some playing time with some really good players in Higgins and Burks.

Rumor (nothing more, nothing less) Michel isn't too hip on taking the additional classes. Heck, w/admission to Gonzaga already in hand, who would?

Thanks CU admissions for screwing the athletic program AGAIN!

Maybe Few will split from Gonzaga finally but no guarantee that would do it either. Admissions is bending us over in both sports.

Kinda sounds to me like a Julius Ashby type, only bigger. A raw JUCO that once he figures it out can dominate.

Sports talk station here this morning had a blurb in their sports update that Bzdelik plans to spend at least 2 schollies on bigs this offseason. They specifically named Michel and talked about his background. They mentioned that the other "might" be Stephen Rogers...

Looks like he is taking a visit to Indiana, probably following McClain didn't he get hired there?

Michel is a good athlete and a big body. That's tough to find. I think he would help us, but I also recognize that Gonzaga stashed him at that JUCO for 2 years, didn't see him develop like they wanted, and then did not take him. If it weren't for our overwhelming need to bring in a defensive post and rebounding presence, I wouldn't be all that interested in Michel.

why not? thought it was all about the "kids," dbt?

Nah. Its about the season ticket holders. :wink2:

See, "good luck" would mean Indiana meets CU in the first round of the NCAA tournament and Guy-Marc hits the game winner at the buzzer. Do you really want that? :smile2:

Last edited:
Good one. But there is almost no way under the sun that IU makes the Dance this coming year, short of a miracle run through the Big Ten Tournament as the #9-seed. The Hoosiers are bad and will be bad for a few more years.

Nah. Its about the season ticket holders. :wink2:

See, "good luck" would mean Indiana meets CU in the first round of the NCAA tournament and Guy-Marc hits the game winner at the buzzer. Do you really want that? :smile2:

if they fire crean ill be more than happy to have him here reguardless of what boyle does

Dodged a bullet with this one

Indiana player gets late NCAA call

November, 4, 2010 Nov 4
2:30
PM ET

By Eamonn Brennan

Two of the nation's best incoming freshman are still waiting for the NCAA to rule on their respective cases. Kansas' Josh Selby and Kentucky's Enes Kanter have been on the shelf for months hoping the NCAA allows them to play despite various amateurism concerns. Considering the skill of the freshmen and the high-profile nature of their programs, I'm guessing you've heard a thing or two about both.

Apparently, we can now add a third name to this list. So, no, Indiana transfer Guy-Marc Michel is unlikely to have the impact of Selby or Kanter, and, no, the team he will be playing for is not going to be in the Final Four mix by the end of the 2010-11 season. But to Indiana fans, the sudden ineligibility of Michel is a major disappointment, albeit one Tom Crean & Co. were prepared for:
“Prior to attending North Idaho Community College, Guy participated in club basketball in France, where he finished high school and enrolled in some college courses,” Indiana coach Tom Crean said in a prepared statement. “In three years with the French club, Guy participated as a member of an amateur team. In his third year, he was “called up” for limited participation with a team that included professional players.” Indiana anticipated an extended review of Marc-Michel’s status.​
Under the NCAA's new rule, Michel can be declared eligible even though he played with professional players so long as he didn't receive financial compensation for doing so. If he did, he will be ineligible, and possibly unable to play at any point during this season. (He might also merely have to repay those funds, serve a suspension or some combination therein.) The case, like Kanter's, is a test of the NCAA's new rule on foreign players and their time with pro club and feeder teams. It might take a while.

Why is that so disappointing to IU fans? Because Michel is a mystery. On the recommendation of new assistant coach Steve McClain, Crean took Michel on as a transfer without ever having seen him play. But the North Idaho Community College player and native of Martinique -- who began his career at age 16 -- has drawn a few intriguing reviews during scrimmages. He also happens to be 7-feet, 277 pounds. Indiana needs size. It's no wonder Hoosier fans are eager to see the big man take the floor.

Again, the time between now and when Michael actually does so might be longer than IU fans are comfortable with. The NCAA does not rush these things. Just ask Josh Selby and Enes Kanter. And while IU's freshman review may not make the difference between an elite team or a very good one, Hoosiers fans will be anxious for an outcome all the same.

In other words, get the "Free Guy-Marc" T-shirts ready. It's not quite as catchy, but it'll do.

Back