What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA WR Nelson Spruce (Signed to Colorado)

Would love to have a strong WR with good hands (and good blocking) to complement the richardson deep threat. Lots of BCS schools recently onto this kid too.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but his offer list is less than impressive. Has he gotten any other offers that aren't listed on the front page?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but his offer list is less than impressive. Has he gotten any other offers that aren't listed on the front page?

late bloomer... other BCS schools got interested in him about the same time we did, but no offers.

Big issue is that he's a very good baseball player. His season kept him from doing the spring football camps and getting that exposure.

are we looking at Jordan shippley here or a slightly taller McNight?

are we looking at Jordan shippley here or a slightly taller McNight?

His game is more similar to Shipley's, but he's about 3 inches taller. I'm reminded of Derek McCoy. Ran a little better than a 4.6, had good size and body control, great instincts, and fantastic hands. Can get deep and has good football speed, but gets deep based more on setting the corner up than on pure speed.

There's a great new article on Spruce that just published on Rivals. It goes into his best attributes as a player, some insight into his recruiting (more offers than were known), what he liked about CU, etc.

Here's the 2nd part of Westlake head coach Jim Benkert said when asked what separated Spruce as a high school player:

"He is outstanding when the ball is in the air. He has great instincts for the football. He is also an outstanding baseball player. He catches everything thrown at him, runs great routes. But when the ball is in the air, he becomes special. He has the ability to slow down, speed up, go up and get it at the highest point, all those things you just love in a receiver. He can get the DB to turn his back and then slow down and then speed up and go catch it and leave the defensive back in his dust. He has that ability to accelerate, go up and get the ball. And he is 6-foot-2, 195-pounds, so he is already the prototypical college receiver."

You'll want to read this full interview: http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1167679

His game is more similar to Shipley's, but he's about 3 inches taller. I'm reminded of Derek McCoy. Ran a little better than a 4.6, had good size and body control, great instincts, and fantastic hands. Can get deep and has good football speed, but gets deep based more on setting the corner up than on pure speed.

wow. I kept thinking he reminded me of the guy who played opposite DJ hackett, but kept forgetting the name. Thanks for reminding me. rep.

wow. I kept thinking he reminded me of the guy who played opposite DJ hackett, but kept forgetting the name. Thanks for reminding me. rep.

Nice to have you on board Spruce! The tape looks pretty impressive and it will be nice to get back to these 6'2" type WRs. Hackett and McCoy types

If you had read the whole thread you would have seen the McCoy reference on page 4 :smile2:

ESPN has finally evaluated Spruce.

He's in as a 3* (75 grade).

They see him as a possession receiver. Basically, they like everything about his game including his athleticism, but question whether he's got the burst and 2nd gear to be more than a possession receiver at the BCS level.

Woot!!!
:dance5::dance5::dance4:
:gobuffs::gobuffs::gobuffs:
:dance::dance::dance::dance:

The young man has chosen wisely. Why anybody would attend school elsewhere remains a mystery. Congrats Mr. Spruce! Go Buffs!

Yep. Signed at 7:06 PST and faxed in.

On behalf of Nelson, thanks for the welcome and kind wishes. No doubts in our minds that this is THE best place for him. Our whole family is happy to be a big collection of new Buff fans.

GO BUFFS!

WOOHOO!! Glad to have Nelson aboard and look forward to screaming proudly for the newest Buff TD hauler! Best of luck in the classroom & on the field, we know he'll love the beauty that Boulder has to offer!! :gobuffs:

On behalf of Nelson, thanks for the welcome and kind wishes. No doubts in our minds that this is THE best place for him. Our whole family is happy to be a big collection of new Buff fans.

GO BUFFS!

Rep for signing. (Best rep I've ever given). Stick around. We are pretty excited to see what your boy can do!

GO BUFFS!

And a hearty AB Welcome to you, Nova!

It's an exciting day in Buff land, with the change in leadership. Renewal. And Nelson is one of the first steps in a new direction.

GO BUFFS!

Our family joins your family in the excitement. Can't wait to see him on the field.

Boulder is a special place.

Go Buffs!

GO BUFFS!

As a member of the Marching Band I would like to say how excited I am to watch Nelson play in the Black and Gold. Hope he has success on and off the field the next 4 years

Back