What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA WR Nelson Spruce (Signed to Colorado)

Nelson is one of my favorite new commits! Can't wait to see him don the BnG! GO Buffs and Welcome!

I sincerely believe Nelson Spruce will have a huge impact from the start of his career at CU. Welcome young man. We are excited to have you here. Get a snowboard, some gloves and goggles. It's not all football here. Embo may not like that statement.

Some new highlights were just posted to youtube. Enjoy!!!

(We got ourselves a player.)

[video=youtube;7UiqVXtKCq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UiqVXtKCq0[/video]

Thank you, Novabuff for PMing the link to me. And welcome to the board.

Somehow, I missed these vids. Thanx Nik and Nova.

I loved the move he made on the cb at about the 3:10 mark of the vid. To this day, that DB is still looking for his jockstrap.

Oh, and Nelson seems fearless. I noted on multiple clips that he went across the middle or on a slant, got the ball, took the hit, and hung on. Very impressive.

He reminds me of daren Chiavarini, if he is half as good as Ryan, then we have a baller.

Last edited:
I thought the same. He did a gig as a sports guy in denver and went away. Spruce reminds me of Eddie. Possession receiver but with size and speed.

Regardless of the action here, we are proud to have Nelson Spruce coming to Boulder. He will get a great education and play for some great coaches and learn about life before he goes live it. He and his parents have made a great decision.

Hook up, connnection, what ever you wanna call it, who's got it with who right now? I forget who TH's favorite target was.

Scotty was unique. He had a connection with Cody. I think Nelson is more athletic than Scotty, and faster. Time will tell.
I think Spruce will be more like Eddie McCaffrey was with the Broncos, a guy who gets open and makes catches using toughness and technique but more explosive that people think and surprising people with unexpected big plays.

Scotty was less explosive athletically than Spruce looks to be. At the same time I think that Spruce will have to do a lot of work to match Scotty in toughness and a sneaky ability to get open in seams and zones. Spruce will probably end up doing some of the things that Scotty would have had Hawkins been a competent coach and given him an offense that allowed him to do more work downfield before the pressure forced the QB to bail out and included enough other threats to take the pressure off him.

Hook up, connnection, what ever you wanna call it, who's got it with who right now? I forget who TH's favorite target was.

Who ever is throwing, Prich and Clemons have to be primary receivers. They need to step up and I believe they will. Sounds like Embo wants Will Jefferson out there too, not at running back. Spruce in a slot position. He plays as a true freshman imo.

Who ever is throwing, Prich and Clemons have to be primary receivers. They need to step up and I believe they will. Sounds like Embo wants Will Jefferson out there too, not at running back. Spruce in a slot position. He plays as a true freshman imo.

I guess that's my point. Prich never really showed up until Cody started slinging the rock again. Any one know if Hirschman or Tyler had a favorite target that's still on the field?

I guess that's my point. Prich never really showed up until Cody started slinging the rock again. Any one know if Hirschman or Tyler had a favorite target that's still on the field?

should be noted Hansen's favorite target was Simas before he went the way of the dodo. Once Simas was gone it was Scotty.

I think PRich "showing up" was just his development over the year which happened after Hansen was injured

I think PRich "showing up" was just his development over the year which happened after Hansen was injured

:stupid: Plus, since he was 2d string for most of the year, he got a lot more reps with Cody. Whoever wins the #1 job this year won't have such a disadvantage.

I'm really rooting for TH here. Hawk destroyed his confidence. If he gets that back, he could be very dangerous. He has a great long ball when it's not coached out of him.

I may have missed it but, did anyone else catch that he was an All Decade WR in his area? Not sure who all came out of that are but still...Decade!! not bad.

:stupid: Plus, since he was 2d string for most of the year, he got a lot more reps with Cody. Whoever wins the #1 job this year won't have such a disadvantage.

I'm really rooting for TH here. Hawk destroyed his confidence. If he gets that back, he could be very dangerous. He has a great long ball when it's not coached out of him.

Agreed. TH has an edge to him and he can throw better than the former regime allowed him to show. Simply the fact that there will be true competition at QB is encouraging. Kills me that weasel signed his son. Nepotism will be better tolerated in Cali.

Was this written 3+ years ago, or right after the Hawaii game?

"He is outstanding when the ball is in the air. He has great instincts for the football. He is also an outstanding baseball player. He catches everything thrown at him, runs great routes. But when the ball is in the air, he becomes special. He has the ability to slow down, speed up, go up and get it at the highest point, all those things you just love in a receiver. He can get the DB to turn his back and then slow down and then speed up and go catch it and leave the defensive back in his dust. He has that ability to accelerate, go up and get the ball."

Back