What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CO OLB Leilon Willingham (Signed to Central Florida)

Still don't get the move. He would have started as a freshman at CU, coached up by a legendary coach in Brian Cabral. He would have play top competition in the likes of Oregon, Stanford, USC and etc. But he chose to go and play in Conference USA. And CU is rated one of the top 30 public universities in nation.

Good luck to a Colorado kid.

Agree

Still don't get the move. He would have started as a freshman at CU, coached up by a legendary coach in Brian Cabral. He would have play top competition in the likes of Oregon, Stanford, USC and etc. But he chose to go and play in Conference USA. And CU is rated one of the top 30 public universities in nation.

Meh... if you figure out 18 year old kids any time soon, let me know. He must've had reasons that made sense to him.

Could turn out to be a great choice for him. He should dominate at that level.

Question, to lazy to look it up, has he used his RS year? If not he potentially could play a year or two in Greeley and if good enough and have his grades together he could still transfer to a FBS level school since the transfer down won't require him to use the RS in the transfer.

Here is the story from Orlando paper...
Freshman linebacker Leilon Willingham told the Orlando Sentinel it was a tough decision to leave UCF, but ultimately opted to transfer to Northern Colorado following the 2011 season.

“I loved the place and everything,” Willingham said of UCF. “Coach [George] O’Leary and everyone in Orlando were great. UCF fans are great people. I just needed to be closer to home in Colorado.”

Willingham was a four-star prospect coming out Denver’s elite Mullen High, picking the Knights over Michigan and a long list of other high-profile schools. Willingham shined early in his UCF workouts and started early in the 2011 season. However, O’Leary said the speed of the game the intricacy of the defensive playbook proved to be a bit too much for Willingham to handle. O’Leary said Willingham was thinking about what he was supposed to do on defense rather thank immediately reacting and executing the game plan. Near the end of the season, the coaching staff moved Willingham to defensive end. O’Leary told the Sentinel in December he had not made a final decision on where he would play Willingham next season.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/

I sat next to his dad and brother at the cal game and saw them at a few other games, too bad he didn't follow his parents advice the firs time around. It's hard to admit but there are many times I wish I listened to my parents.

I hear you. I don't think CU is in any position to turn down talent. Maybe there's a bit more to this story than we know.

It would be an awkward situation for him if he attends CU. Best thing for everyone involved is to move on. CU is still in the running for Desean Rippy and Seth Jacobs. And i like our young LBs Greer, Daigh, Tuumalo, and Harlos.

It would be an awkward situation for him if he attends CU. Best thing for everyone involved is to move on. CU is still in the running for Desean Rippy and Seth Jacobs. And i like our young LBs Greer, Daigh, Tuumalo, and Harlos.

Not sure how awkward it would be. Certainly no more awkward than it was for Richardson, and Clemons. No?

I like our young LB's as well, but adding talent is never a bad thing.

Not sure how awkward it would be. Certainly no more awkward than it was for Richardson, and Clemons. No?

I like our young LB's as well, but adding talent is never a bad thing.

Clemons transferred his junior year from michigan because of a issue with the coach. I do not recall if he originally held a CU offer.

Richardson signed because of an issue in LA that got cleared up. Was a very good prospect coming out of high school and I do not believe CU originally had a shot.

Willingham had us in his top two, his parents urged him to go to CU, he talked us up, and then picked up the UCF hat. He chose C-USA over the Pac-12. He chose a non AQ school over an AQ school. He was the local star that looked like he would chose CU and then didnt. It would be awkward. Lots of the kids on the team I am sure would remember that.

Back