What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 HI OLB K.T. Tuumalo (Signed to Colorado)

Plenty fast for safety. Lets keep in mind Polamalu runs sub 4.4. He's a complete freak.

Last years NFL combine results for Strong Safety:
40-Yard Dash
1. Earl Thomas —Texas (4.41)
2. Eric Berry—Tennessee (4.47)
3. Reshad Jones—Georgia (4.54)
4. Justin Woodall—Alabama (4.59)
5. Larry Asante—Nebraska (4.63)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359746-2010-nfl-scouting-combine-strong-safety-results

Here's the complete list:

http://pickingpros.com/blog/nfl/nfl-combine-2010-40-times-verticals-etc-–-full-list/

If Blacken can shave a few tenths of a second off of his unofficial time then we are looking at elite D1 speed.

40-Yard Dash

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359746-2010-nfl-scouting-combine-strong-safety-results

http://pickingpros.com/blog/nfl/nfl-combine-2010-40-times-verticals-etc-–-full-list/

If Blacken can shave a few tenths of a second off of his unofficial time then we are looking at elite D1 speed.

I'm guessing you meant "a few hundredths". I expect that with physical maturity and college training that KT will be able to run a legitimate 4.6 or even into the 4.5s, even if he puts on some weight. This assumes, of course, that he's not really running a 4.9 or something. You never know.

40-Yard Dash

Keep in mind that 40 times are not an exact science. To start with there are big differences in how guys are timed, electronic times and hand times will differ, speeds will differ based on the surface run on. Obviously a track is faster than thick, wet grass.

When looking at combine times you also have to remember that often times these guys have been coached specifically in the skill of running a 40. This does not always translate into speed on the field. All of us know of DBs who have reported 40s in the 4.4 range who get left behind on the field by a TE, on the other hand we see some WRs and RBs who are reported in the 4.6 range who never seem to get caught from behind.

The last thing is that unless the come from a combine or other controlled event the 40 time is only worth as much as the person who reports it.

I would much rather have a guy who is 4.6 reported and can fly on the football field than a guy who is fast on the track and can't translate it to football.

On the videos Tuumalo looks like one of those guys who has football speed, he gets where he needs to be in a hurry and brings something when he gets there.

On the videos Tuumalo looks like one of those guys who has football speed, he gets where he needs to be in a hurry and brings something when he gets there.

Looking at those vids part of this seems to be his ability to anticipate and take a direct path. He doesn't chase folks down as much as he draws a bead on where they'll be and meets them there.

I think people get caught up too much in the times. Football is as much about instinct and reaction as simple speed. If you are really fast but go in the wrong direction, you just get to the wrong spot quickly. Regardless, this guy seems like a good pickup. Welcome to the Buffs!

I wasn't making a statement, I just didn't know what a good 40 time is for a free safety. I agree with Rodrigo, the kid can pick pursuit lines.

K.T. finally came out publicly with his commitment. Welcome we're gonna get a pretty good LB haul this class

K.T. finally came out publicly with his commitment. Welcome we're gonna get a pretty good LB haul this class

Yep. Adam finally got the actual interview (Rivals won't call someone committed until they hear directly from coach, parent or prospect):

Did you make you college decision earlier today?

K.T. Tuumalo: "Yeah, actually I met with [Colorado inside linebackers] coach [Brian] Cabral today at my house and I committed to Colorado."

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1178209

I'm so relieved that the info was right and I didn't call this one too early. :smile2:

I'm so relieved that the info was right and I didn't call this one too early. :smile2:

Me too. He's a good get and it seemed a little shaky counting on a youtube comment (if that's all it was), especially as time went on without confirmation.

Buffnik, you are the best. Good call and I'm excited about how this recruiting class is turning out. Thanks for bein a BUFF, KT!

BuffScoop got an interview with KT yesterday.

Really good work over there by YungCoach.

What really stood out to me was the following quote from KT: "training there because of the altitude only enhances your skills and conditioning so it makes you better".

I knew that Embree and his staff wanted to make it a priority to attract players who want to play in the NFL. To that end, one of the main recruiting pitches is built around that. Between the resumes of our coaching staff and getting to play in the Pac-12, there's a strong sell there. But the additional message about getting to train at altitude in Boulder like so many Olympians and elite athletes do was a new one to me. That's a great message that is absolutely true and differentiates CU from almost all other programs.

Good job, Embo!

Nik, will the prospects from Hawaii arrive early this week as KT did last?

I'd expect them to get in this afternoon/evening.

Do we have someone [Strike]stalking[/Strike] watching the airport?

could not be a better day to show up in boulder. the view coming over the hill is amazing.

I went to school at Punahou where KT went. Great choice buddy, you won't regret it. Plenty of Hawaiians there and it is a great vibe. You trade the great beaches for great mountains!

Go Buff-n-Blue and go Buffs!!

I went to school at Punahou where KT went. Great choice buddy, you won't regret it. Plenty of Hawaiians there and it is a great vibe. You trade the great beaches for great mountains!

Go Buff-n-Blue and go Buffs!!

welcome to the site. Good to see another Hawaii boy running aorund here. Now **** Puntahou.

Hey guys...first-time poster here. Is Tu'umalo going to stay at LB, or will he play more of a LB/DB hybrid? I know he was slated to play nickel in Boise State's 4-2-5.

Hey guys...first-time poster here. Is Tu'umalo going to stay at LB, or will he play more of a LB/DB hybrid? I know he was slated to play nickel in Boise State's 4-2-5.

Not sure yet. Rumors of safety, OLB, etc. We probably won't even know his true position until spring ball of his frosh year unless he somehow avoids a RS.

welcome to the site. Good to see another Hawaii boy running aorund here. Now **** Puntahou.

Hahaha, I've been checking out the site for a while and kept my mouth shut. :)

. . . and I'm sorry you didn't get into Punahou. I mean Iolani's campus is a lot uglier, the education isn't really as good, the successful alumni are a little more elusive, and the girls are below average, but otherwise it's a great school!
:thumbsup:

The island connection

[video=youtube;0MGU2bAe56M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MGU2bAe56M[/video]

Poi on the menu, CU cheerleaders in grass skirts and everyone gets Leied! That would make a sold out CU game. Ticket prices just went way up.

Back