What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 NM WR Tyler McCulloch (Signed to Colorado)

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 or something.. 40 times are pretty overrated. If he has quickness off the line and can run good routes, he doesn't need to be Ted Ginn on a straight line track.

Very good point. The better question is does he have enough burst to separate from a defender in a 5-10 yard space, also can he cut and accelerate and can he maintain his speed through contact. These are much better indicators of football speed than a 40 run on a track in shorts and a T-shirt.

Very good point. The better question is does he have enough burst to separate from a defender in a 5-10 yard space, also can he cut and accelerate and can he maintain his speed through contact. These are much better indicators of football speed than a 40 run on a track in shorts and a T-shirt.

Also good points....and reflective of Nik's very on point comments regarding taking him to the gym to see if he can hoop. Or should I say, can he shake a defender and can he compete in a dunk contest at the Rec. If the answer is yes, he is capable of doing all of the above.

Appears he attended two team camps (one each the last two summers) at CU and impressed Tucker (offensive Grad Assistant) enough to merit a review of film. The fact is that a lot of schools may overlook a WR kid from New Mexico who doesn't show elite speed. When a kid competes in a full-contact camp, you can get a pretty good idea of what kind of baller his is.

Tucker by the way has a very strong resume for WR position for a Grad Assistant:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204977247&Q_SEASON=2010

Once again I couldn't care less how many offers he has or why NMSU asked him to walk on.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 or something.. 40 times are pretty overrated. If he has quickness off the line and can run good routes, he doesn't need to be Ted Ginn on a straight line track.

For every Jerry Rice who runs a 4.7 and can get away with it there a thousands who can't. Not even at the Pac 12 level. A guy of his height isn't going to run a fast 40 anyways. It is rather unnatural. I still think the bigger issue is if he can get off a jamb at the line of scrimmage. If he puts on weight he will probably succeed at that. I just don't see him having the lateral quickness to get away from DB's either. He is going to have to learn to be physical, run great routes, shield players with his body, and catch the ball at the highest point (his biggest advantage). Then he could be like a Mike Williams who also can't run away from anyone.

I'm not saying the guy can play or not, I'm just saying if he has good quickness and good route running, he doesn't need a sub 4.5 40 time.

Appears he attended two team camps (one each the last two summers) at CU and impressed Tucker (offensive Grad Assistant) enough to merit a review of film. The fact is that a lot of schools may overlook a WR kid from New Mexico who doesn't show elite speed. When a kid competes in a full-contact camp, you can get a pretty good idea of what kind of baller his is.

Tucker by the way has a very strong resume for WR position for a Grad Assistant:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204977247&Q_SEASON=2010

Once again I couldn't care less how many offers he has or why NMSU asked him to walk on.

You can get a decent idea of what a kid looks like at a camp. But apparently he did not do enough at the camps to warrant serious consideration (i.e, an official visit at the very least) from the former staff.

We are also assuming that 4.7 is legit. I really hope it is if we are seriously considering giving him an offer.

You can get a decent idea of what a kid looks like at a camp. But apparently he did not do enough at the camps to warrant serious consideration (i.e, an official visit at the very least) from the former staff.

We are also assuming that 4.7 is legit. I really hope it is if we are seriously considering giving him an offer.

used a paper sack at the camp...pissed off hawk

I think this kid exemplifies the problem with highlight videos. He looks amazing to me on video for a 6'5 kid. Incredible hands and long strides. However, I might even have a fairly decent highlight video (if edited enough). As many know, I'm solely an offer guy. I could care less about stars, rankings or highlight video. If a kid has bigtime offers, then bigtime coaches think he's a player.

This kid does not have bigtime offers.

I think this kid exemplifies the problem with highlight videos. He looks amazing to me on video for a 6'5 kid. Incredible hands and long strides. However, I might even have a fairly decent highlight video (if edited enough). As many know, I'm solely an offer guy. I could care less about stars, rankings or highlight video. If a kid has bigtime offers, then bigtime coaches think he's a player.

This kid does not have bigtime offers.

or small time offers. 4.7 speed isn't great either, especially considering that these times are sometimes magically improved. I don't understand all the hype around this kid...offer him a PWO, but scholarship? He has to earn that first. His HS is a prominent HS in Albq (I think Jim Everett went there...), so it's not like his team easily could escape the coaches of UNM. I don't get it if we offer him.

Here's the rationale I heard.

We've got over 20 seniors in next year's class that we'll have to replace. On top of that, we're likely to have higher-than-normal attrition due to the demands of a new coaching staff. Even with normal attrition (injuries, academics, transfers), you would expect to lose at least a few guys before the 2012 NSD.

Given all that, we'll have a full class in 2012 regardless of whether we take McCulloch this year. So, basically, we can look at it as being kind of a free scholarship spot for us the next 2 years. We need depth among the underclassmen at WR. Therefore, even if it's a bit of a stretch and a WR who wouldn't likely be offered a scholarship in future years, it makes sense to take him at this time under these circumstances if he's a good kid with the potential to come in and compete.

I like him as much as Cefalo and more than Espinoza. I have nothing to go on to make me believe that Darden or Canty will ever be the answer. And those guys are slotted to compete as our 2s and 3s on the 2011 depth chart right now.

He missed a bunch of his SR year, so UNM may have just skipped him and got WR commits to fill their slots first.

You see way more working with a kid in a camp than you do watching him play a game. You learn what he is capable of doing with the right coaching, not what just comes naturally.

I also put much more faith in offer lists than stars, but there's exceptions. There's a lot of kids that get overlooked for explainable reasons. Even the #1 High School in NM doesn't get much of a look BTW from UNM. It is very hard to build a good team using exceptions. Not too many coaches are THAT good at evaluating talent.

How close did that Colorado LB, Hemschoot,come last year of not getting a single offer and then eventually chose Stanford over USC, Oregon, and CU? In the end, having a coach who played at Oregon is what got his name out there. And he didn't miss his SR year. This stuff happens all the time in Out-Of-The-Way places, and I'd consider Albuquerque that way, even to UNM. In this case, Coach Tucker knows this kid probably better than any college coach in the country.

IMO. A WR with 4.7 speed should consider his options. I am not saying that 4.7 is extremely slow but for a WR...it is. If his 40 is a 4.7 and his game speed is a 4.7 then get in the weight room and start thinking about special teams and TE. He is 6'5" with room to grow. If his game speed is faster because of the things mentioned before by a few of you guys like route running, getting speration out of a break, strength through tackles then a big plus for him. Jerry Rice's game play speed was a heck of a lot faster than his 40 time thats for sure. If he can play like Ed McCaffrey that would be great and a great fit for the gameplay concepts.

Here's the rationale I heard.

We've got over 20 seniors in next year's class that we'll have to replace. On top of that, we're likely to have higher-than-normal attrition due to the demands of a new coaching staff. Even with normal attrition (injuries, academics, transfers), you would expect to lose at least a few guys before the 2012 NSD.

Given all that, we'll have a full class in 2012 regardless of whether we take McCulloch this year. So, basically, we can look at it as being kind of a free scholarship spot for us the next 2 years. We need depth among the underclassmen at WR. Therefore, even if it's a bit of a stretch and a WR who wouldn't likely be offered a scholarship in future years, it makes sense to take him at this time under these circumstances if he's a good kid with the potential to come in and compete.

I like him as much as Cefalo and more than Espinoza. I have nothing to go on to make me believe that Darden or Canty will ever be the answer. And those guys are slotted to compete as our 2s and 3s on the 2011 depth chart right now.

That sounds like rationale that is drifting dangerously close to "let's take the guy to fill the depth chart," or exactly what Embree was preaching against when he came on. Not that I did not expect him to take some reaches in this class to fill it up, but still.

Like I said before, if they really are desperate for WR help, there are plenty of athletes on the team or in the 2011 class already signed that are better options IMO.

A good comparison (if we're lucky) would be Joe Jurevicius. He had a great career at Penn State and went on to a 10-year NFL career that had its moments. Joe played at around 230 lbs at 6'5", was a heck of a red zone target, and his ability to hold his own blocking down on DEs and LBs was a big reason why a lot of the teams he played for did so well. He was pretty key in the Giants, Bucs and Seahawks getting to Superbowls.

That sounds like rationale that is drifting dangerously close to "let's take the guy to fill the depth chart," or exactly what Embree was preaching against when he came on....

I'd agree. If this kid was a Juco and his scholly was available to give out again in 2013, I think buffnik's theory holds water.

They don't give this kid a scholly if they don't think he's got a good chance of being pretty good down the road IMO.

A good comparison (if we're lucky) would be Joe Jurevicius. He had a great career at Penn State and went on to a 10-year NFL career that had its moments. Joe played at around 230 lbs at 6'5", was a heck of a red zone target, and his ability to hold his own blocking down on DEs and LBs was a big reason why a lot of the teams he played for did so well. He was pretty key in the Giants, Bucs and Seahawks getting to Superbowls.

or Jeff Samardzija.

Buffnik, Ed was the guy that first came to mind and also I knew more about than really anyone else. I mean, if this cat can get on the field and produce then he can run all the 4.7 40's he wants.

I trust this staff with the abilities and capabilities. I mean JE and EB were tearing up the recruiting field before they stepped into the pro. Now they have that to fortify there resume's and the experience to back it up. Our staff is going to shake the world up and the University of Colorado is going to be the University it will be done through. I am extremely excited about our future.

Every tall white WR we go after is Joe Jurevicious or Samarzjda... every short white WR is Scotty McKnight? Do I have that right?

Every tall white WR we go after is Joe Jurevicious or Samarzjda... every short white WR is Scotty McKnight? Do I have that right?

:smile2:

If you're talking best case scenarios, yes. That's pretty much what we're doing.

To be completely serious, I don't mind taking a small fast guy or a big slow guy if the player has everything else you're looking for. The odds of a small slow guy making it are so low that I doubt we'll ever see another Scotty McKnight at CU.

Pretty much the consensus case for every "under the radar" recruit we've been heavily signing the past 2-3 years....so by next year we should be a shoe in for national title contender

and eventually people will be saying "That kid will be the next Tyler McCulloch" :smile2:

Tyler's Scout profile says that he has accepted a CU scholarship article.

They have also published an article on their NMPrep site: http://hsnewmexico.scout.com/2/1048343.html

Scout's recruiting director for the southwest, Jason Jewell has also tweeted:

jason247scout Jason Jewell
Sleeper WR Tyler McCulloch is late addition to Colorado's class http://hsnewmexico.scout.com/2/1048343.html

Adam has posted on the Rivals board that Tyler has signed.

Welcome to the Buff family, Tyler!

Make the most of this opportunity and help us win some championships!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Back