What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 TX QB Stevie Joe Dorman (Signed to Colorado)

Is there any info on if he LDS? Koy and Ty are/were.

If so, will he be going on a mission? I don't remember Koy going on one.

As I recall a friend of mine's family once told me of how the Detmers (meaning Ty's family) were fellow members of their Central TX ward. I think she said Ty converted while he was at BYU. Don't know about Koy or any other family.

He has the size and arm, now he needs a lot of work, could take about 3 years before he ready to start for CU, in my opinion. But a guy you can coach up, 50/50 but worth the risk, and adds depth.

Tyler Hansen SR
Brent Burnette JR
Hirshman RFR- saw him throw a bomb to Andre Simmons in spring ball 2010
Stevie Dorman FR

Last edited:
I believe the issue with both of our QBs is their talents are not in vogue. Pro Style QB with size and arms are not as prized right now as "athletic" QBs.
There's programs still recruiting kids like this, but not like 10 years ago. They are much fewer and far between.

Also, I think QBs are very hard to project. True athletes, guys who play defense, the measurables are easy to quantify and are pretty accurate. You find a guy with size and speed, you probably got something. Not so for QB. Not sure Koy Detmer was a great athlete in fact.

Intriguing write-up from Scout:

A polished recruit who looks the part of a future NFL quarterback because of his great size, 6-4 210. He has a great touch on short and medium passes and throws a catchable deep ball. Throws almost over the top in a calm demeanor with a big arc on the ball. Does a good job on play-fake also drawing the defensive backs in. Great upside, he could start for quite a few teams as a freshman if needed

How is this guy ranked so low or not at all. he looks like he should be a 4 star player. He's got some wheels under him. looks pretty fast for a 4.8 40 on the film

There's a "Part 3" to Stevie's video highlights. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;YRD7MomxOds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD7MomxOds&feature=related[/video]

I love this pick up. Give him his redshirt year and let's see what he can do. Size, blood lines, and the great senior Detmer in his corner. I had been hoping we pick this kid up and think he will see the field sooner rather than later. Guess he will not have many batted down at the line of scrimage either!

Is there any info on if he LDS? Koy and Ty are/were.

If so, will he be going on a mission? I don't remember Koy going on one.
I think Ty converted to LDS while at BYU. Not positive, but I don't think Koy is LDS.

Last edited:
And then there was Part 4...

[video=youtube;i_N8R1g-uX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_N8R1g-uX8[/video]

He works both under center and from the shotgun.
He looks like a liget 6' 4" as he stands as tall or taller than his linemen.
He can throw the touch pass, the long ball, the arching mid range out route, and can drill it as well.
He rolls out and can scrable when needed.
He has good footwork when setting to throw.
He has good mechanics and a good release.

All good things in my book!

If he just accepted an offer to Notre Dame he would have 4 stars next to his name today.

He is an okay pickup, but we still seem to be collecting QBs that only our coaches (two different staffs) like. Also find it a bit odd that we would make so many moves (dump Sherry and the two new pickups) at QB without a position coach in place.

He is an okay pickup, but we still seem to be collecting QBs that only our coaches (two different staffs) like. Also find it a bit odd that we would make so many moves (dump Sherry and the two new pickups) at QB without a position coach in place.

Nothing strange about it, Embo, and Eric both want the Pro-style offesne. They are looking for Pro-style Quarterbacks. The position coach job is to coach the QB recruited.

Nothing strange about it, Embo, and Eric both want the Pro-style offesne. They are looking for Pro-style Quarterbacks. The position coach job is to coach the QB recruited.

QB is one of the most difficult position to project from high school to college. While Embree and EB certainly have coaching experience on the offensive side of the ball, neither has been a QB coach. Seems like you would want someone with experience helping out with the evaluation.

they are both pro style qbs

QB is one of the most difficult position to project from high school to college. While Embree and EB certainly have coaching experience on the offensive side of the ball, neither has been a QB coach. Seems like you would want someone with experience helping out with the evaluation.

I know there isn't a QB coach in place yet, but I'd be pretty surprised if Embree and EB were just spitballing with their scholarship offers. Not saying that the kid will be a multiple Heisman winner, but I'm pretty sure they have had some assistance in evaluating the talent.

Thanks. That certainly explains why the four QBs on campus next season will have a total of zero BCS offers (aside from CU of course) amongst them.

As was stated before, we don't know that Dorman had zero offers, we only know that he and his people weren't reporting to Rivals and Scout so they didn't have info to post. I did some searching last night and it looked like aTm, BYU, and some others had serious interest in him with coaches visiting the HS and actively recruiting.

As somebody else here said if he commited to Notre Dame (or some other high profile schools) he would be a 4 star.

A certain local player last year signed with his dreamnon-BCS school and chose not to correspond with the sites. He had committable offers to NU, CU, OSU, ISU and 3-4 others. Never camped except at a few of above schools. Reported none of his visits and the DP ignored him. I brought it up once and was shot down by the all-knowing-buff. I saw and met several BCS coaches that came thru last winter.

There are exceptions. This Dorman kid had some coaches pass on him. Happens all the time at QB. I think it's a combo of his style (not in high demand) and being a 3a school. That or EB is nuts. I will hope for the first one.

I mostly was just messing around, but QB recruiting remains a concern. We have found several reasons to pump up our QB recruits for several years now, but we need to start getting a blue chip or two at the position.

I mostly was just messing around, but QB recruiting remains a concern. We have found several reasons to pump up our QB recruits for several years now, but we need to start getting a blue chip or two at the position.

No arguments here. And hopefully with the ability to get after it with a full recruiting cycle, Embree and company will do just that. Now if only there were a '12 blue chip QB from Colorado that the coaches could start targeting.

Anyone paying attention to this kids profile on the recruiting sites to determine whether or not we got a good one here, stop.

This kid can play.

I'm sure our new qb coach will bring in a blue-chip QB next year, embree isn't going to let cu start projects at qb.

Back