What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA PG Eli Stalzer (Signed to Colorado)

Have to believe one of the freshman will redshirt next season. Half the roster being in one class isn't a good thing. But other than that the vids of this kid look good. Welcome to the Buff family Mr. Stalzer!!! :gobuffs:

Have to believe one of the freshman will redshirt next season. Half the roster being in one class isn't a good thing. But other than that the vids of this kid look good. Welcome to the Buff family Mr. Stalzer!!! :gobuffs:

I'd imagine at least two frosh will redshirt this next season. Probably Jenkins and one of the PG's.

And this reminds me of something...

I have complete trust in Tad Boyle.

BUT (you knew that was coming), we don't have a ton of scholarships to offer. We just came off one of the most successful runs in program history. We're trending up. We've gotten a ton of positive publicity lately and we're the Pac 12 champions. I would tend to think that would enable us to get into the living rooms of some of the more elite prospects in the country. I have to wonder if this is the best use for this scholarship. It's a matter of opportunity cost. Nothing against Eli, but we now have fewer scholarships to offer to a player that might be a true difference maker.

interesting, a pg that had under 3 assists, and shoots in the low 60's from the line.... Am I missing something here?

I have complete trust in Tad Boyle.

BUT (you knew that was coming), we don't have a ton of scholarships to offer. We just came off one of the most successful runs in program history. We're trending up. We've gotten a ton of positive publicity lately and we're the Pac 12 champions. I would tend to think that would enable us to get into the living rooms of some of the more elite prospects in the country. I have to wonder if this is the best use for this scholarship. It's a matter of opportunity cost. Nothing against Eli, but we now have fewer scholarships to offer to a player that might be a true difference maker.

I think Boyle is trying to build a program. You can build some good teams with lots of talent, but at this point many of those highly talented kids are looking to bolt on school first chance they can to get to the NBA. If you get some solid guys, they probably wont produce from day 1 at the same level as a elite player, but they will be there for 4 years, and at the end of the 4 years you will have a telented kid that will make mature decisions, this is how you build programs.

interesting, a pg that had under 3 assists, and shoots in the low 60's from the line.... Am I missing something here?

I think everyone is justified in having questions.

He plays on one of the most high profile teams in the nation, but didn't have another Power 6 conference offer.

From what we have read about him, it sounds like he's a high character guy who provides great leadership. If he can play, those are great pluses. But they only come into the conversation if he can play.

Trusting Tad and staff in player evaluations is justified, but no staff hits 100%. Even with this staff, Adams and Mills haven't performed to the level we had hoped. Dre, Carlon, Ski and Mayor have all exceeded expectations (some by a ton), so the record is exceptional even if not perfect.

Here's what I see with Stalzer from looking at film:

- Very good on-ball defender with quick hands
- Very good at setting pace and being the guy that gets 4 star players to work together on the court
- Good shooting motion and clutch foul shooting (should be a very efficient offensive player)
- Able to use both hands well (dribbling and finishing)
- Enough athleticism and length to hold up against Pac-12 competition
- Unselfish with leadership and high basketball IQ (like with Mayor, star players will love playing with him)

I don't see a guy who will ever be an NBA prospect or even someone who will play in an upper European league. I see a guy who can be very similar to Nate. Could start as a true freshman and have stats for four years that stay pretty close to that freshman baseline. The upside potential is that he is able to do some of the things that Levi did as his shot develops.

I can see why Eli is a hard prospect to get excited about, but I think he's the type of guy who will do a ton of stuff that will help us win. He'll be the type of player we learn to appreciate the more he plays for us.

So you're willing to defend this kid... but not Nate, who is probably a top 3-4 defender in the Pac 12. Biased much?
I give all buffs a chance. Nate earned my hate the hard way. I was excited for him 4 long years ago.

nah, I gave nate lots of props once he stopped driving me insane on a regular basis. I also gave him lots of **** when my ignorant ass thought he deserved it.

I find your pre-disposed bias against this kid v. Nate suspicious...

I think everyone is justified in having questions.

He plays on one of the most high profile teams in the nation, but didn't have another Power 6 conference offer.

From what we have read about him, it sounds like he's a high character guy who provides great leadership. If he can play, those are great pluses. But they only come into the conversation if he can play.

Trusting Tad and staff in player evaluations is justified, but no staff hits 100%. Even with this staff, Adams and Mills haven't performed to the level we had hoped. Dre, Carlon, Ski and Mayor have all exceeded expectations (some by a ton), so the record is exceptional even if not perfect.

Here's what I see with Stalzer from looking at film:

- Very good on-ball defender with quick hands
- Very good at setting pace and being the guy that gets 4 star players to work together on the court
- Good shooting motion and clutch foul shooting (should be a very efficient offensive player)
- Able to use both hands well (dribbling and finishing)
- Enough athleticism and length to hold up against Pac-12 competition
- Unselfish with leadership and high basketball IQ (like with Mayor, star players will love playing with him)

I don't see a guy who will ever be an NBA prospect or even someone who will play in an upper European league. I see a guy who can be very similar to Nate. Could start as a true freshman and have stats for four years that stay pretty close to that freshman baseline. The upside potential is that he is able to do some of the things that Levi did as his shot develops.

I can see why Eli is a hard prospect to get excited about, but I think he's the type of guy who will do a ton of stuff that will help us win. He'll be the type of player we learn to appreciate the more he plays for us.

Another great post by 'nik. I still have some concerns, but they're not specifically related to Saltzer., so I'll keep it out of this thread and post in the class balance thread later.

After watching a replay of the CU tourney win, it really looks like they need this kid to be the point guard and they want Spencer to play more of a wing next year. They need spencer and booker to have solid outside shooting and they want Eli to really distribute the ball. Spencer really wore down at the end of the year, but that is expected for a kid coming right out of high school and playing 20+ minutes per night.

The floor general for a Cali state finalist team who distributes the ball to guys getting major D1 offers is not someone to overlook. Imagine how comfortable XJ is going to be in practice and potentially in games with his PG in the system. This is beneficial even if we don't see on the court next year. Two state champion teammates from high school coming to the Buffs is not a bad thing.

The floor general for a Cali state finalist team who distributes the ball to guys getting major D1 offers is not someone to overlook. Imagine how comfortable XJ is going to be in practice and potentially in games with his PG in the system. This is beneficial even if we don't see on the court next year. Two state champion teammates from high school coming to the Buffs is not a bad thing.

A floor general who distributed the ball!? ha, did you not see his numbers? He clearly was not the floor general and was not distributing the ball or else he would have had more than 3 assists per game. If this kid was the floor general, combined with the 4 or 5 D1 players on that team, he would have had way more assists than he did. Come on now.

A floor general who distributed the ball!? ha, did you not see his numbers? He clearly was not the floor general and was not distributing the ball or else he would have had more than 3 assists per game. If this kid was the floor general, combined with the 4 or 5 D1 players on that team, he would have had way more assists than he did. Come on now.

Did you see Nate's numbers for a conference champion / NCAA tourney team?

Was he a floor general with his 3.0 assists per game and 5.5 points per game?

I'd say he was.

Assists are a ****ed up stat. If you need this explained, your previous opinion is already tainted. Try again.*

*btw, I don't like this signing, just so you know i am not coming from a defensive position for the kid

I am drinking some Kool Aid here trying to spin this as a great get because I myself was a little stunned to see we got another verbal in this class and wasn't sure why. Looking deeper I understand he's got history with our most highly regarded hoops signee from the state of California in program history (Was there a bigger coup when we got Jay Humphries? Higgins?), and the duo will start in the state championship game tomorrow. If Tad and his staff have scouted them together and seen them compete at the highest levels of prep competition in the country and decided the pair were something special then I give them benefit of the doubt. I'm not sold on Eli being the difference maker in us finishing higher in the PAC or going further in the tournament, but I'm not up in arms over the offer, calling it a waste of a scholarship or going to any other negative extreme that many of you may be thinking about this. Patience...

Nik, i'd agree that nate was a floor general, in that he was the ball handler and he was our best player at speeding up the game when needed, but also slowing down when needed. But, nate was not the person that made everyone else better on the floor, nor was he distributing to the better players. He would often run the motion and then stand on a wing waiting for the kickback. When thinking of a true pg, i think of those guards that create the offense and then dish to the better players... aka steve nash, or Kendall marshall. Not nate tomlinson.

What is the probability that the Talton and Stalzer scholarships are only one year kind of deals like with Chen, where these guys will have to walk on or transfer after next year?

What is the probability that the Talton and Stalzer scholarships are only one year kind of deals like with Chen, where these guys will have to walk on or transfer after next year?

I'd guess that chance is around zero.

Then Chen deal was unique because he was a transfer from another school who was never offered by CU out of HS.

Back