What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA PG Eli Stalzer (Signed to Colorado)

Good pickup, we need more guys like this, that will attack the basket. So glad Tomlinson is graduating.

Does this mean we are now important enough to get the obligatory 3* from rivals for offering?

Maybe.

Could also be that the scouting by ESPN and Scout was done prior to his senior year while the Rivals review is new.

Sounds like the Mater Dei coach is full of love for Tad. That is not a bad thing, is it?

I'm not a big basketball guy like most of you. But, it seems to me, that there are a lot of great programs who have a kid at PG who is not an NBA talent kind of guy but is a leader. You know the type. A kid who, after his basketball career, becomes very successful in "the real world."

Finally saw the video and honestly I'm more comfortable with this signing now than I was before. Does he scream "superstar"? No. But I think this is a safe scholarship. He's probably not going to be a star or All-PAC-12, but I think it's safe to say that he'll be a solid contributor for 3-4 years here in Boulder. The play that most impressed me was around the 1:45 mark when he got into the middle of a crowd and somehow came down with the rebound before taking off downcourt. Kid has a bit of toughness that you like to see.

I'd love to see him work on his handle and his outside shot, but I think this was a solid pick-up. Add in the fact that we now are getting a pipeline to Mater Dei (that can't be stated enough -- that's HUGE) and he has familiarity with XJ and I'm now happy with this signing.

Finally saw the video and honestly I'm more comfortable with this signing now than I was before. Does he scream "superstar"? No. But I think this is a safe scholarship. He's probably not going to be a star or All-PAC-12, but I think it's safe to say that he'll be a solid contributor for 3-4 years here in Boulder. The play that most impressed me was around the 1:45 mark when he got into the middle of a crowd and somehow came down with the rebound before taking off downcourt. Kid has a bit of toughness that you like to see.

I'd love to see him work on his handle and his outside shot, but I think this was a solid pick-up. Add in the fact that we now are getting a pipeline to Mater Dei (that can't be stated enough -- that's HUGE) and he has familiarity with XJ and I'm now happy with this signing.
Goose. If you're happy, I'm happy. :smile2:

Don't ever question in-roads into Mater Dei.
^This, Stanley Johnson is a sophomore and MD is one of the best HS basketball factories in the country. This is not a bad thing.

Assists are a ****ed up stat. If you need this explained, your previous opinion is already tainted. Try again.*

^And this, Assists are totally subjective, depending on who is keeping the stats he could have easily have averaged 6 assists a game.

Watching the first half of the Champ game he looks solid, has more offensive game than I thought, can put the ball on the floor, plays some tough D and really runs their offense.

Last edited:
Saw him in person tonight and I'm skeptical. I think this was a goodwill scholly more than anything else. Eli made a few nice plays on the defensive side of the ball. He's a grinder and a student of the game. You can just sense that. Offense is tough to watch. He took about five shots bricked them badly. Finished w 2 pts. Ok athlete. Not super explosive but will be good setting up offenses. Will drive and get penetration but didn't see him take it to the hole, even one play when he could have finished it. Passer to a fault some plays. I guess that's a good problem to have. Tomlinson comparisons are for the most part valid. He won't **** the bed by any stretch just a real limited upside IMO. I'm sure he'll represent us well though and I hope he proves some of my opinions wrong.

Saw him in person tonight and I'm skeptical. I think this was a goodwill scholly more than anything else. Eli made a few nice plays on the defensive side of the ball. He's a grinder and a student of the game. You can just sense that. Offense is tough to watch. He took about five shots bricked them badly. Finished w 2 pts. Ok athlete. Not super explosive but will be good setting up offenses. Will drive and get penetration but didn't see him take it to the hole, even one play when he could have finished it. Passer to a fault some plays. I guess that's a good problem to have. Tomlinson comparisons are for the most part valid. He won't **** the bed by any stretch just a real limited upside IMO. I'm sure he'll represent us well though and I hope he proves some of my opinions wrong.
Is anyone kind of worried that Tad still may have his mid major goggles on from UNC and WSU, and he's used to evaluating guys based on whether they could compete in a place like the Big Sky.. I know he brought in guys like XJ, Scott, and Gordon, although mid major coaches wouldnt turn those guys down either. I think he may be starting settle a little bit too low. Nothing against Stalzer or Talton, but spending scholarships that we will need when guys like Isaac Hamilton, Dakarai Allen, or Jaron Hopkins come into the picture on guys who will likely only contribute minimally over four or five years will not keep us as a consistent Pac 12 championship contender.

Is anyone kind of worried that Tad still may have his mid major goggles on from UNC and WSU, and he's used to evaluating guys based on whether they could compete in a place like the Big Sky.. I know he brought in guys like XJ, Scott, and Gordon, although mid major coaches wouldnt turn those guys down either. I think he may be starting settle a little bit too low. Nothing against Stalzer or Talton, but spending scholarships that we will need when guys like Isaac Hamilton, Dakarai Allen, or Jaron Hopkins come into the picture on guys who will likely only contribute minimally over four or five years will not keep us as a consistent Pac 12 championship contender.

Uh no.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Tad is smarter than this

Nope. He also played at Kansas and coached at Oregon.

He's building a program with guys for his system while establishing recruiting pipelines.

What is the probability that the Talton and Stalzer scholarships are only one year kind of deals like with Chen, where these guys will have to walk on or transfer after next year?

I've been thinking about this, and wonder if that's the case with Stalzer (I know it's not with Talton). I mean, we're late in the spring signing period, and the kid had no notable offers or visits that I'm aware of. I'm sure he was receiving walk-on offers, but if Tad comes in, offers a scholarship for the first year, with the opportunity to earn his renewal, it would seem to be fair from both sides. Stalzer's guaranteed to get 25% of his education paid for and continue his basketball career in the Pac-12, while CU gets an opportunity to evaluate him with the open scholly this year, while keeping the spot open next year, if needed.

Anyway, I'm probably over-thinking it, but it would make some sense.

One year scholly idea ala chen is silly. Put that idea to bed.

Like I said, I'm probably over-thinking it. But it would seem to be a win-win if you have the scholarship available. Just a way to differentiate yourself from other walk-on offers.

it is pretty obvious why Eli is signed, he is a Heslip doppelganger. Next time we play Baylor Eli is going to guard Heslip and he is going to be so mind-****ed he won't be able to focus. Have you ever played basketball against yourself?

Heslip-hits-nine-3s-Baylor-buries-Colorado-OG15NVPG-x-large.jpg

lipick-lipiai27mdboys.jpg

I liked his youtube video of him attacking the basket and getting rebounds...that looks like a Boyle type of player. Isn't the PG like the QB of the team? If so, given Mater Dei's championship team, that can't be a bad thing.

Plus someone said that Mater Dei produced quite some good football players...never a bad thing to have the word COLORADO going through that school.

How about....Boyle likes Stalzer...Boyle offers Stalzer....Stalzer accepts....it is that easy....Boyle knows what he is doing

Maybe Coach A was trying to convince Boyle not to go after him because it went against his recruiting philosophy.

I reaaallly hate it when the sites keep the video behind the pay wall. YOUTUBE that ****e!

I reaaallly hate it when the sites keep the video behind the pay wall. YOUTUBE that ****e!

It's only 50 seconds and basically shows that he's got good touch on his jumper and he uses his body well in traffic to draw contact & finish.

It's only 50 seconds and basically shows that he's got good touch on his jumper and he uses his body well in traffic to draw contact & finish.
I just rewatched his other highlights... dude has moves around the rim and has way more athleticism than Nate... His offensive ability may be worse at the 3pt line, but I think too many people have been satisfied to say "the next nate" and move on without realizing Mr. Stalzer has some abilities and skills Nate didn't have.

Back