What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OT Joey O'Connor (Signed to Ohio State)

Guys - take it to another thread, im deleting your posts. We've had to clean the RECRUIT's thread up all day
I don't have many boundaries, but this is one of them. No more Pxxx St. comments. There's five other threads for that. Let's focus on getting Joey here!

I would guess either way O'Connor will stay a solid PSU commit.

That said at the minimum there will be a major turnover in the coaching staff. My impression is that the school is going to clean house, all or almost all of the carryover staff will be gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA allows current players to transfer without penalty and considering the publicity and complete change in staff a lot of players may take up the opportunity. If this happens they may also lose a lot of players who would be their depth guys who may see themselves as stuck behind another player in the same class or younger.

They likely will lose a significant part of this years class and a lot of the guys they have been working for future classes who have established relationships with current coaches. Others will be turned off by the negative press.

Even if Tini is correct, and he very well may be, the bigger question is whether or not CU can even generate any interest. I seem to recall comments made that he was pretty solid in terms of wanting to leave the state to play his college ball.

Even if Tini is correct, and he very well may be, the bigger question is whether or not CU can even generate any interest. I seem to recall comments made that he was pretty solid in terms of wanting to leave the state to play his college ball.

Yep. I think it is really doubtful.

Yeah I just can't see him staying in state, sucks but nothing we can do except keep pushing him.

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag

Guys - take it to another thread, im deleting your posts. We've had to clean the RECRUIT's thread up all day

I don't have many boundaries, but this is one of them. No more Pxxx St. comments. There's five other threads for that. Let's focus on getting Joey here!

Bumping this post of dio's as a reminder, and seconding BP's comment from earlier. I cleaned up the "Pxxx State" post from earlier, and any more will be deleted.

This is a recruit thread. Let's keep the discussion about O'Connor. The only comments about Penn State that belong here are those that relate to O'Connor's recruitment, and they are subject to the same standards as any other recruit thread.

The only comments about Penn State that belong here are those that relate to O'Connor's recruitment, and they are subject to the same standards as any other recruit thread.

Yep. We can certainly discuss whether the PSU scandal might cause Joey to open up his recruiting and give us an opportunity here. But this isn't the place to debate the scandal itself or make jokes about it or rip on someone if he decided to commit there.

I think it will be interesting to follow Joey on this one. He absolutely loved Penn State. It's an impressive place that's had a ton of success. His coach had connections there and Joey seemed to feel it was a great fit for him. I feel terrible for him and others in his situation (or beyond it and on the current team).

I've got to believe that Joey is considering all the reasons he fell in love with Penn State and whether it's enough of the same place it was before the scandal broke for him to still want to go there. If it's not, I hope he puts CU at the top of his list (bias acknowledged). If I knew him and could advise him, I'd tell him to at least take a couple official visits to other places. Look at the in-state option and the #2 out-of-state option. Either he would end up reinforcing his decision or changing his mind. Considering the situation, I don't think any reasonable person would fault him for going back on his word if that's what he decided to do.

fwiw, I'm a PSU grad and they've been my #2 team even though I'm a Boulder guy and diehard Buff fan so I also have some bias toward PSU. In cases like this with such a big decision, I just think it's important to take a step back. If my dream job had been to work for a company, I had accepted a job offer and then something like this scandal broke there, I would personally choose to look at my other options.

They had an interview from him he said it was a decision he had to make. Definitely De-committed poach poach poach!

I wouldn't get my hopes up here. There has been zero indication that Joey has any interest in staying in-state for college.

It would be sweet if we can land Kozan and Oconnor. I don't know why but everytime i watch film those two look like the best in the state, the OT/OG from Mullen flores also looks good. Thurston and Calahan don't look all that great on tape, but i guess they are being projected to get better. Kozan and O connor are both natural benders, good leverage and power generated while blocking. We need to deploy EB to help seal the deal.

It would be sweet if we can land Kozan and Oconnor. I don't know why but everytime i watch film those two look like the best in the state, the OT/OG from Mullen flores also looks good. Thurston and Calahan don't look all that great on tape, but i guess they are being projected to get better. Kozan and O connor are both natural benders, good leverage and power generated while blocking. We need to deploy EB to help seal the deal.

One of the largest law firms in Philadelphia is named Cozen and O'Connor......

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_19311242

Windsor High School offensive lineman Joey O'Connor told Scout.com on Thursday he has de-committed from Penn State and has re-opened his recruitment.O'Connor said the ongoing scandal at Penn State and the firing of head coach Joe Paterno ultimately led him to decide the school is not for him. He is a four-star prospect and is rated the 12th best guard in the country by Scout.com.
O'Connor holds a scholarship offer from Colorado and says he is considering the Buffs. However, he has favored leaving the state for college throughout recruiting and continues to lean that way at this point.

I can see a kid wanting to experience other places. But a lot of folks I've heard argue that the long term benefits for Colorado kids continuing their football careers in state should be considered. I can see both sides of the coin. A star kid in Texas can still stay in state but still "get away." A star kid in Colorado, sorry rammies, only has one choice.

Because of our 7 or 8 year slide, fewer in state kids are "growing up CU fans." The culture, with so much information access, is WAY different than when I was a kid. A Colorado kid is almost as likely to grow up a USC fan as he is a CU fan. Embree MUST change that.

I hope this kid considers the great opportunity he has here as well as the benefits.

I think Tennessee has the best shot here. I believe Joey's older sister goes there. Softball player or something.

Wasn't the reason why we hired embree is because he was known as a good recruiter? Its time for Embree to start showing that.

Wasn't the reason why we hired embree is because he was known as a good recruiter? Its time for Embree to start showing that.

There's nothing he can do if the recruit has his mind set on going to his dream school, which was PSU.

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag

I do not think anyone will disagree with you general statement. O'Connor's recruitment is not really a good barometer of success though.

Back