What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 PA OLB Deaysean Rippy ('13 TNFR to Colorado)

In my book Embree just lost all of the goodwill he had built up from getting Crawley and Wright. You have a blue chip player call to commit to your program and you turn him down because he didn't accept some silly ultimatum? It just seems like a power play by Embree. We can’t afford to turn away this kind of talent and if Embree is interested in longevity in his CU head coaching career then he better get more talent in here. If Rippy doesn't qualify then so be it, if we can take a risk on huge reach like Derek McCartney simply because his grandfather is one of Embree’s buddies then we sure as hell can take a risk on blue chip recruit like Rippy. I guess nepotism was able to find its way through Embree’s rigid and high moral standards. Embree didn’t even have to put in any work, all he had to do was accept the damn commitment. The devil on my shoulder is hoping that Rippy goes to Arizona and dominates every time we play them for the next four years. Maybe I’m just expecting too much to assume that Embree would make a logical decision here, after all we are talking about a coach who decided to have a player fair catch a punt inside our own 20 yard line with 10 seconds until halftime.

A coach should never worry about if a player is willing to do the work neccessary to get admitted and/or stay eligible. A coach should sit by and watch as a kid takes recruiting visits and stays in contact with multiple other schools. A coach should put talent ahead of everything else involved in running a program.

I'm beyond glad that you are not the coach of my team.

Rippy had every opportunity to be a Buff. Embree wanted him and gave him the opportunity, all he had to do was take care of his end of the bargain.

He didn't take care of his end and Embree doesn't play those games. Sad because I would have loved to see Deaysean in Black and Gold but this wasn't a "silly ultimatum" it was taking care of business. All the talent in the world doesn't help you if it isn't on the field because of off field issues. It is also hard to coach a team to it's fullest when you have players who aren't willing to make the commitment needed to do their part.

And yes I replied to the troll but unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't others who believe exactly this crap, some of who work in our local media.

In my book Embree just lost all of the goodwill he had built up from getting Crawley and Wright. You have a blue chip player call to commit to your program and you turn him down because he didn't accept some silly ultimatum? It just seems like a power play by Embree. We can’t afford to turn away this kind of talent and if Embree is interested in longevity in his CU head coaching career then he better get more talent in here. If Rippy doesn't qualify then so be it, if we can take a risk on huge reach like Derek McCartney simply because his grandfather is one of Embree’s buddies then we sure as hell can take a risk on blue chip recruit like Rippy. I guess nepotism was able to find its way through Embree’s rigid and high moral standards. Embree didn’t even have to put in any work, all he had to do was accept the damn commitment. The devil on my shoulder is hoping that Rippy goes to Arizona and dominates every time we play them for the next four years. Maybe I’m just expecting too much to assume that Embree would make a logical decision here, after all we are talking about a coach who decided to have a player fair catch a punt inside our own 20 yard line with 10 seconds until halftime.

what is this silly ultimatum that u speak of?

And I don't understand how perceived nepotism for other recruits have anything to do with Rippy. Two totally different issues.

I did have the sense to stop reading one sentence in, and will now remedy my non-ignoring of this instantiation of the jrk phenomenon.

And jrk is back to his pathetic old form. I wish I could say you've been missed.

Rippy had every opportunity to be a Buff. Embree wanted him and gave him the opportunity, all he had to do was take care of his end of the bargain.

Really? He had every opportunity to be a Buff? Then why is it that when he called and said he wanted to be a buff Embree wouldn't take him? And why does there have to be a bargain in the first place? You can still take his comittment. If he doesn't qualify then so be it and if he does then that whole bargain that "he didn't live up too" was just pointless anyways.

Really? He had every opportunity to be a Buff? Then why is it that when he called and said he wanted to be a buff Embree wouldn't take him? And why does there have to be a bargain in the first place? You can still take his comittment. If he doesn't qualify then so be it and if he does then that whole bargain that "he didn't live up too" was just pointless anyways.
Read the thread twatwaffle.

what's the point of taking his commitment when he isn't likely to qualify. that's dumb

Dusche!

what is this silly ultimatum that u speak of?

And I don't understand how perceived nepotism for other recruits have anything to do with Rippy. Two totally different issues.

When he came on his visit Embree wanted him to commit and stop taking visits to other schools so he could focus on his academics (Apparently taking a visit out to Boulder was not detrimental to his academics, just visits to other schools). God forbid Rippy wanted to go visit other schools so he could make an informed decision on what is to this point probably the biggest choice of his life. He then (reportedly) tried to commit to CU but Embree turned him down because he had visited other schools.

Too your second question my point is just that McCartney is a risk because he's a big reach but Embree was willing to take that risk because of his ties to the program. If we can take a risk on him I don't see why we can't take one on a blue chip player (and academic risk) like Rippy as well. Furthermore when determining who's "worthy" of a CU scholarship Embree uses the moral high ground with Rippy but then shows nepotism with another recruit, it's hypocritical.

Last year, when we let Berglund go, I was pretty upset. I felt like we made a big mistake and that we shouldn't be telling blue chip QB recruits that we aren't interested. I have since come to the conclusion that it was the right thing to do, although it was probably not the popular thing to do at the time. I, too, wanted Rippy here. He was the guy I probably wanted more than anybody else. However, I'm going to defer to Embree on this deal. He earned that slack with the Berglund situation, IMO.

When he came on his visit Embree wanted him to commit and stop taking visits to other schools so he could focus on his academics (Apparently taking a visit out to Boulder was not detrimental to his academics, just visits to other schools). God forbid Rippy wanted to go visit other schools so he could make an informed decision on what is to this point probably the biggest choice of his life. He then (reportedly) tried to commit to CU but Embree turned him down because he had visited other schools.

Too your second question my point is just that McCartney is a risk because he's a big reach but Embree was willing to take that risk because of his ties to the program. If we can take a risk on him I don't see why we can't take one on a blue chip player (and academic risk) like Rippy as well. Furthermore when determining who's "worthy" of a CU scholarship Embree uses the moral high ground with Rippy but then shows nepotism with another recruit, it's hypocritical.
Stop talking. Embree's recruiting track record to this point in time should have your full respect. If Embree didn't want Rippy in the end, you have to conclude that it's for the better.

I think you should tell embree you're no longer a buff fan, that'll teach him.

Last year, when we let Berglund go, I was pretty upset. I felt like we made a big mistake and that we shouldn't be telling blue chip QB recruits that we aren't interested. I have since come to the conclusion that it was the right thing to do, although it was probably not the popular thing to do at the time. I, too, wanted Rippy here. He was the guy I probably wanted more than anybody else. However, I'm going to defer to Embree on this deal. He earned that slack with the Berglund situation, IMO.

Embree may be wrong on this one. Rippy may get qualified in time and become a star for somebody.

Problem is that being wrong on something like this is to big a risk. To start with CU needs a major overhaul on the roster and can't afford to waste schollies.

At the same time bringing in a guy and then having him fail is worse publicitywise than not bringing him in and having him fail elsewhere or just not get in. Embree is also in a situaiton where he still has to prove to the administration that when he ask for a little help with admisions that the kids are going to do well and not embarass anyone.

I agree with you that the Berglund situation shows that Embrees instincts aren't completely off. Even if he turns out wrong on this one it is still a call he has to make and I will support him until he shows that he doesn't have the judgement.

what's the point of taking his commitment when he isn't likely to qualify. that's dumb

We don't know that he won't qualify. At least three other schools are willing to take him and he was allowed to come to CU for a visit (visits must be pre-approved by CU admissions to ensure we aren't wasting money on players who have no chance of getting in) so his grades couldn't be that bad and regardless he's worth the risk. If Embree just decided to stop pursuing and instead focus his energy on trying to get other players I could understand that, but when he calls you to commit and you turn him down I just don't get that.

AZ had the scoop on this. It wasn't just visits. They called to follow up on various weekends and was town jumping to visit chicks in different area codes as well. Every minute he's away from home is a minute he could have been focuses on grades... And he wasn't so we moved on. Get Jacobs and its an irrelevant point.

Back