What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 PA OLB Deaysean Rippy ('13 TNFR to Colorado)

When he came on his visit Embree wanted him to commit and stop taking visits to other schools so he could focus on his academics (Apparently taking a visit out to Boulder was not detrimental to his academics, just visits to other schools). God forbid Rippy wanted to go visit other schools so he could make an informed decision on what is to this point probably the biggest choice of his life. He then (reportedly) tried to commit to CU but Embree turned him down because he had visited other schools.

Too your second question my point is just that McCartney is a risk because he's a big reach but Embree was willing to take that risk because of his ties to the program. If we can take a risk on him I don't see why we can't take one on a blue chip player (and academic risk) like Rippy as well. Furthermore when determining who's "worthy" of a CU scholarship Embree uses the moral high ground with Rippy but then shows nepotism with another recruit, it's hypocritical.

I see your point of view, but you're missing some important facts. Apparently Rippy said things to the staff that concerned them, including asking if he would have to go to class at CU. I'm also guessing there is more to this story than we know.

I concur with sackman - Embree turned out to have made the right call on the Berglund situation. And I believe you are missing the fact that Embo is still trying to build his culture. A bad seed in what is really his first full class could **** that up pretty bad.

So, I don't think it's a question of whether Rippy would have qualified or not. It's a question of whether he was going to take more off the table than he put on it and, in the end, the coaches felt strongly that he was going to do just that. Nepotism doesn't have anything to do with it and if anyone deserves nepotism from the CU football program, it's Bill McCartney's family.

I wish Rippy well, but I have a feeling we might be looking at another Berglund/Willingham situation this time next year.

what's the point of taking his commitment when he isn't likely to qualify. that's dumb

Really, whether he qualifies or not isn't the issue. If he doesn't qualify, he's not taking up a spot or ruining our QPR, etc.

Embree is not too keen on bringing in guys who won't get the work done and won't elevate people games thru hard work and good attitude. He has said several times it's not the guys you fail to get, it's the guys you get that fail that bring down the program.

Really? He had every opportunity to be a Buff? Then why is it that when he called and said he wanted to be a buff Embree wouldn't take him? And why does there have to be a bargain in the first place? You can still take his comittment. If he doesn't qualify then so be it and if he does then that whole bargain that "he didn't live up too" was just pointless anyways.
What ****ing rock did u crawl out from under? It's really shocking that you would take this stance after u caught wind of it, utterly ****ing shocking.

I see your point of view, but you're missing some important facts. Apparently Rippy said things to the staff that concerned them, including asking if he would have to go to class at CU. I'm also guessing there is more to this story than we know.

I concur with sackman - Embree turned out to have made the right call on the Berglund situation. And I believe you are missing the fact that Embo is still trying to build his culture. A bad seed in what is really his first full class could **** that up pretty bad.

So, I don't think it's a question of whether Rippy would have qualified or not. It's a question of whether he was going to take more off the table than he put on it and, in the end, the coaches felt strongly that he was going to do just that. Nepotism doesn't have anything to do with it and if anyone deserves nepotism from the CU football program, it's Bill McCartney's family.

I wish Rippy well, but I have a feeling we might be looking at another Berglund/Willingham situation this time next year.

I get the whole concept of "building a culture" but you need talent too. Hearing that phase just makes me think of Josh McDaniels approach when he took over the Broncos. At the point this program is at we don't have the luxary of being picky and turning away talent like this. Remember Embree did offer Rippy a scholarship and was willing to take him so whatever his "problems" are they couldn't be that bad. Ya it looks like Embree was right about Berglund but what did we end up with instead, Dorman who I guarantee you never starts a game at CU, he's terrible but hey at least he's a good citizen, get my point? Maybe we take Rippy and he doesn't qualify or he does but then things don't work out when he's here. Who cares, it's not like it would have some huge detrimental effect on the program, it's a low risk high reward situation. Maybe he turns into a stud. Asiata was an academic risk and just left because of academics and it's not like the world is now ending because he didn't work out. P-Rich and Scotty Mcknight both had baggage when they came here, anyone regreting taking a chance on them?

I get the whole concept of "building a culture" but you need talent too. Hearing that phase just makes me think of Josh McDaniels approach when he took over the Broncos. At the point this program is at we don't have the luxary of being picky and turning away talent like this. Remember Embree did offer Rippy a scholarship and was willing to take him so whatever his "problems" are they couldn't be that bad. Ya it looks like Embree was right about Berglund but what did we end up with instead, Dorman who I guarantee you never starts a game at CU, he's terrible but hey at least he's a good citizen, get my point? Maybe we take Rippy and he doesn't qualify or he does but then things don't work out when he's here. Who cares, it's not like it would have some huge detrimental effect on the program, it's a low risk high reward situation. Maybe he turns into a stud. Asiata was an academic risk and just left because of academics and it's not like the world is now ending because he didn't work out. P-Rich and Scotty Mcknight both had baggage when they came here, anyone regreting taking a chance on them?

Ever heard of a little thing called APR? Take too many academic risks that aren't willing to put in the work to make it work out and you rack up penalties. Thankfully the coaches understand these things, even if you don't...

Simple point -- the coaches told him what he needed to do, and he didn't do it. Once in the program and in school, would he follow instructions from the coaches, et al?

Ever heard of a little thing called APR? Take too many academic risks that aren't willing to put in the work to make it work out and you rack up penalties. Thankfully the coaches understand these things, even if you don't...

I have heard of it and took that into account. Not a huge concern too me, again reward outweighs the risk. And APR suffers anytime a player leaves the program, everyone is a risk. Maybe theres a kid who did fine in HS but then struggles in college, maybe they get homesick and leave, maybe they expose themselves in the girls bathroom and get kicked out. Every player we sign has the potential to hurt out APR, not just Rippy. And we've taken other academic risks in this class as well. Should we just stop adding scholarship players all together because they could hurt our APR?

I have heard of it and took that into account. Not a huge concern too me, again reward outweighs the risk. And APR suffers anytime a player leaves the program, everyone is a risk. Maybe theres a kid who did fine in HS but then struggles in college, maybe they get homesick and leave, maybe they expose themselves in the girls bathroom and get kicked out. Every player we sign has the potential to hurt out APR, not just Rippy. And we've taken other academic risks in this class as well. Should we just stop adding scholarship players all together because they could hurt our APR?
Nope not at all but I dont think this was all about APR.

Sorry, not buying. Having a kid that gets a roster spot, but for whatever reason can't develop as a starter - who is still working his ass off day in and day out at practice has a light and day difference on the program than a guy who can get it done on the field without giving it his all. If he projects an attitude that getting by is good enough, and that he deserves prima dona status over others, that attitude will spread. Disaster for a program that is still learning what effort is required to compete and win at a BCS level. The talent is coming, it may take time before we have a culturally sound program, where JE knows that his upperclassmen will prevent young players from coming in with the attitude that they are above doing the basics. Until that time though, you get the most talented guys that are willing to commit to getting the basics done - or at least smart enough to act like it in the recruiting process. I would think five minutes into a recruits first conversation with JE it would be pretty obvious that fulfilling the obligations to play are essential. Looking at the Yuri situation, I don't think Embree is running guys out just for looking at options.

Yep, every kid is the same risk. The kid that has academic problems but would rather dick around than work on improving his academic record is no more risk than anybody else. The kid who gets a direct request from the coaching staff and ignores it is no more of a risk than the kid who graduates early, enrolls early, and has his life together. Nope, no difference at all. If only the coaching staff were as wise as you...

Multiple times last year Embree complained about the lack of talent on the team but then he goes and does this, what a hypocrite. Same with all of you.

Multiple times last year Embree complained about the lack of talent on the team but then he goes and does this, what a hypocrite. Same with all of you.

You are definitely consistent in your belief that CU should take the most talented guys we can get regardless of personality, motivation, academic standing, criminal record or attitude.

You're not a hypocrite.

But neither am I, JRK7. Saying "all of you" is bull**** and you know it. I have consistently said that job #1 for Embree is to change the culture of the football program. I haven't been alone in this. Embree has also put huge emphasis on this. You may not agree, but you also seem to have selective memory on all the times this has been brought up and emphasized. People are not being hypocrites.

douche-bag.jpg

You may not agree, but you also seem to have selective memory on all the times this has been brought up and emphasized.

That's because a relatively objective reality is not what JRK is about. He has an agenda - to bash Embree - and is disturbingly disposed to pursuing it. Anyone who disagrees, therefore, becomes part of the collective "they" who are ... [insert choice of invective here]. Dude exists to be an asshole - it's his identity - and he's pretty good at it.

As for Deaysean, best of luck. Seems to me this is how the recruiting game can play out. If he really had wanted to attend CU I assume he would have done, or at least tried to do, what the coaches were asking of him. He'll be ok. Plenty of offers from other places so he'll have ample chance to try and prove Embree & Co. wrong.

It's a shame to see things work out the way they seem to have with Rippy. Would have liked to see his skill on the field and keep the pipeline to that area open. I am not ready to throw the staff to the wolves though and if in their estimation he is not a good fit with the program I'm fine with that.

I think the coaching staff have demonstrated an ability to judge talent that is far superior to the previous regime and good things will happen in time. A couple of years from now it will be "Rippy who?"

I take issue with you JRk on the Mac's grandson as well. I think he could turn out to be one of the best moves of this recruiting season. The culture of late has been to ignore and be ignored by former players kids. The Hagan kid is one of the more recent to come to mind. Embree's kid and the Fauria kid would be others. My perception is, that it is a serious black eye on the program when former players kids won't even give us a sniff. I think the ole alma mater is one of the first places they should want to come. It's good for tradition. It's good in raising the overall level of credibility in the eyes of other recruits. And in the case of those who went on to be successful pro players and businessmen it helps bring donations back home when their kids are loved and respected like they were when they played here. Getting Norgard here was huge and getting Derek McCartney on board is a very good thing as well. Awarding him a scholarship was not nepotism. It is pure class and respect, and you can never go wrong with showing these qualities in a football program.

That's because a relatively objective reality is not what JRK is about. He has an agenda - to bash Embree - and is disturbingly disposed to pursuing it. Anyone who disagrees, therefore, becomes part of the collective "they" who are ... [insert choice of invective here]. Dude exists to be an asshole - it's his identity - and he's pretty good at it.

As for Deaysean, best of luck. Seems to me this is how the recruiting game can play out. If he really had wanted to attend CU I assume he would have done, or at least tried to do, what the coaches were asking of him. He'll be ok. Plenty of offers from other places so he'll have ample chance to try and prove Embree & Co. wrong.

Hence Darth's apt and simple characterization of troll.

My perception is, that it is a serious black eye on the program when former players kids won't even give us a sniff. I think the ole alma mater is one of the first places they should want to come. It's good for tradition. It's good in raising the overall level of credibility in the eyes of other recruits. And in the case of those who went on to be successful pro players and businessmen it helps bring donations back home when their kids are loved and respected like they were when they played here. Getting Norgard here was huge and getting Derek McCartney on board is a very good thing as well. Awarding him a scholarship was not nepotism. It is pure class and respect, and you can never go wrong with showing these qualities in a football program.

+1

So its grade issues then?

How many times have we seen highly-rated recruits fizzle and flop? My personal opinion: they got by on sheer athletic ability growing up and never learned how to take instruction or developed a work ethic. I love that Embo puts a couple hurdles in front of recruits during the courtship, just to see what kind of character they have. The majority of the players in the NFL were 3 stars or less coming out of high school. According to this article:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Recruiting-breakdown-of-2011s-top-draft-picks.html

...only half of the players drafted into the NFL this past year in the first three rounds were 4 or 5-star high school prospects. Obviously, it goes down even further in the later rounds. I've said it before in other posts and I'll say it again here, stars look primarily at the raw athletic ability of the recruit with only nominal evaluation of technique (and that evaluation is often flawed and amateurish anyway). The only position on the field where raw athletic ability is more important that work ethic is cornerback because you put the kid on an island and leave him there. Everywhere else (to a varying degree) you coach the kid up, put him in a world-class weight and nutrition program and you build the player from raw material. Obviously, it helps if that raw material is as physically gifted as possible. But all the talent in the world means squat if the kid doesn't know how to develop it.

Good luck to Deaysean, but it takes a special kind of person to don the Black and Gold. That's what we mean when we say "Buffalo Up!"

can't take everyone.

You obviously have to take great talent .... but not at the expense of the culture you are trying to build. I call it the T.O. effect. Sure T.O. would work and produce but he was a cancer in the locker room. How many Super Bowls did his teams win? 0. You cannot take anyone who might be destructive of the culture. Especially when you are a system guy like Embree. BTW, Saban is a system guy too. (apologies for the stream-of-consciousness thing I have going on here)

Back