What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TNFR NH SF Evan Smotrycz (Transferred to Maryland)

A good point someone made on the Rivals board is that Evan's game is much more similar to Dufault than Roberson. He's a big that can shoot. He won't be replacing Dre's shot blocking or rebounding.

A good point someone made on the Rivals board is that Evan's game is much more similar to Dufault than Roberson. He's a big that can shoot. He won't be replacing Dre's shot blocking or rebounding.

If I could get two more years of Dufault, I'd jump at it, 'Dre or no 'Dre. With the post prospects of our current forward corps, "Austin 2.0" would get to play the correct position.

By the time he visits, the scholarship issues should produce a final answer one way or the other.

Does the transfer visit system the same as it is for high-school recruits? Is this an official visit that we're paying for, or is this on Evan's dime?

I needed some good news right about now... and this definitely qualifies:

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS

Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz @_ev23 told CBSSports his final three are Maryland, Providence and Colorado. Will take officials to all 3.

Holy ****. Not going to lie, I had written him off already.

In Tad I Trust.

I wonder how the addition of the sixth recruit, Eli Stazner plays into this. Is Eli and Talton coming in on a scholarship for sure, or is Smotrycz going to pay his way for a year? Roster currently looks full. I couldn't imagine Smotrycz coming in without a scholly, but hey, if CU really is a basketball school now, maybe he'd make that sacrifice for a year. It doesn't sound like we'd get him based on available scholarships, but maybe Tad is a better salesman than I think.

Do you hear what I hear, some transferring???....

Last edited:
Great that we're still in the running. Said it before, but landing Smotrycz would be absolutely huge. A 6'9 235 sharpshooter is just invaluable. While he was averaging about 8 points and 5 rebounds per game for the season, he also only averaged 20 minutes per game. He was getting 25-30+ minutes per game from the start of the season until mid-January, and then Beilein tweaked the rotation and he started typically getting around 15 minutes per game. Smotrycz would be an excellent number 3 scorer for us. During December Smotrycz had a 5 game stretch of: 20pts 9reb, 16pts 8reb, 17pts 11reb, 20pts 10reb, 10pts 10reb. Yes please. While he generally fits the "Dufault" mode of forward, he's way more of a natural shooter, and while rebounding isn't by any means his main thing, the 7 or 8 rebounds per game he would give us would be a nice boost.

Certainly some tough competition, but we have a good chance. The main allure of Providence is that it's close to home (Smotrycz is from Massachusetts), but to be frank: they also suck. Maryland has the draw of playing in the ACC, but Turgeon's guards will also be chucking it up 95% of the time. Hopefully he makes the right choice, he would be a perfect fit for Tad's offense. The opportunity is there for a couple extremely special seasons culminating in deep runs in the Dance.

Also, as a sidenote while we're on the subject of transfers: Arizona landed point guard TJ McConnell, a transfer from Duquesne (just finished his sophomore season). Before you scoff and write him off because he's from Duquesne, this is actually a very solid pickup for the Wildcats. McConnell will undoubtedly get plenty of minutes for them after sitting out the upcoming season. This is a guy who does everything well. He averaged 11.5pts, 4.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game. That's pretty damn good for guy who's listed at 6'1. He even managed a triple double this season. You might be able to consider this a "glue" guy in that he's going to be good at managing the Arizona offense with all the 4* and 5* talent that Miller is bringing in, but I'm not sure that's the best description as he's a legitimate scoring threat in his own right.

Also, as a sidenote while we're on the subject of transfers: Arizona landed point guard TJ McConnell, a transfer from Duquesne (just finished his sophomore season). Before you scoff and write him off because he's from Duquesne, this is actually a very solid pickup for the Wildcats. McConnell will undoubtedly get plenty of minutes for them after sitting out the upcoming season. This is a guy who does everything well. He averaged 11.5pts, 4.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game. That's pretty damn good for guy who's listed at 6'1. He even managed a triple double this season. You might be able to consider this a "glue" guy in that he's going to be good at managing the Arizona offense with all the 4* and 5* talent that Miller is bringing in, but I'm not sure that's the best description as he's a legitimate scoring threat in his own right.

****. I missed that news. Great move for them.

****. I missed that news. Great move for them.

Goose, How many of the Zona guys are candidates for 1 and done to the NBA.

They have some really good recruits coming in, question is how long are they likely to be around.

Jarrett has a decent chance of being one & done and it wouldn't surprise me to see Tarczewski as well. That said, I think Tarczewski will torture CU & the PAC-12 for two years before going pro.

Jarrett has a decent chance of being one & done and it wouldn't surprise me to see Tarczewski as well. That said, I think Tarczewski will torture CU & the PAC-12 for two years before going pro.

Huh, I'd think Ashley would be the first to go.Shows what I know!

Huh, I'd think Ashley would be the first to go.Shows what I know!

Forgot about Ashley. Yeah, he's a possibility too. God they have a great class.

Honestly, I think Jarrett could be their best player next year, so he's the most likely one IMO.

Forgot about Ashley. Yeah, he's a possibility too. God they have a great class.

Honestly, I think Jarrett could be their best player next year, so he's the most likely one IMO.

Yeah, they're gonna be loaded inside.

General question here - do transfers have to commit in the same window as the general signing for recruits, 4/11-5/16? Is there a typical pattern, most early or most late? Seems that anxiously awaiting basketball offseason moves is a new pass-time for me.

General question here - do transfers have to commit in the same window as the general signing for recruits, 4/11-5/16? Is there a typical pattern, most early or most late? Seems that anxiously awaiting basketball offseason moves is a new pass-time for me.

Nope. They don't sign Letters of Intent. Transfers need to enroll and sign a scholarship agreement. That can be done any time.

That's the one that makes me most nervous. Turgeon has won all the battles against us (on the court and in recruiting).

I'd agree, Maryland would seem to make sense. East coast, ACC, decent basketball tradition, etc. But Tad's just on such a role right now, nothing would surprise me. Hopefully he gets out here next weekend, the weather should be just about perfect.

Back