What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TNFR NH SF Evan Smotrycz (Transferred to Maryland)

Good that we made his final cut. I see it as a win/win for CU. Sounds like he'd be a good kid to add, but if he goes elsewhere we would have another scholarship to offer for the 2013 class (assuming Sharpe, Mills transfer like many expect and/or Roberson declares for the 2013 NBA Draft.

It'd be kinda cool to get a transfer that could play right away (someone that just graduated), as I think another key player in the rotation would help CU a lot

Not like we have a spot for him anyways.

Goodman at CBS still has Mills & Sharpe on the transfer list. Until I hear something from the school officially, I'm refusing to get excited, but I think it's a possibility.

The way basketball is going right now, I'm finding myself unable to worry much about not getting a guy like Evan. If he'd picked the Buffs, I would have celebrated. He's a good player who would have been a valuable player for 2 years. But I fully expect Tad to get someone else instead for the 2013 class who will be a valuable contributor for 4 years (less than that if he's good enough to jump early for the NBA).

still a loss, imo. Best way to characterize it is as a non-crippling loss. Smots would have been very very good for us.

still a loss, imo. Best way to characterize it is as a non-crippling loss. Smots would have been very very good for us.

This is where I am. Plus, he would have provided some necessary frontcourt depth for us once Dre leaves next year.

The way basketball is going right now, I'm finding myself unable to worry much about not getting a guy like Evan. If he'd picked the Buffs, I would have celebrated. He's a good player who would have been a valuable player for 2 years. But I fully expect Tad to get someone else instead for the 2013 class who will be a valuable contributor for 4 years (less than that if he's good enough to jump early for the NBA).

Completely agree with all of this.

A couple of years ago this would have been looked at as a make or break decision for the program, now it is a decision that just needs to be overcome with another player taking the spot. He would have provided immediate help but as Nick points out that help would have been short term.

Show's how far Tad has come in building the program that this kid was considering us and that we don't go into a panic when he decides against us.

This is where I am. Plus, he would have provided some necessary frontcourt depth for us once Dre leaves next year.

Frontcourt depth, sure, but he's not a similar player to 'Dre. It would've been an imperfect replacement. Between SHT, Scott, Gordon, and XJ, frontcourt should be fine in 2 years. Coach Boyle likes the guard heavy, faster lineups anyways.

Frontcourt depth, sure, but he's not a similar player to 'Dre. It would've been an imperfect replacement. Between SHT, Scott, Gordon, and XJ, frontcourt should be fine in 2 years. Coach Boyle likes the guard heavy, faster lineups anyways.

It would have been a replacement for Austin... delayed by 2 seasons.

It would have been a replacement for Austin... delayed by 2 seasons.
Agreed, but also an Austin allowed to play in the proper position. Considering he reportedly didn't like being played "out of position" I'm surprised he picked Maryland. Everything I've read has them playing him at the 4, where I thought he vastly preferred the 3.

Agreed, but also an Austin allowed to play in the proper position. Considering he reportedly didn't like being played "out of position" I'm surprised he picked Maryland. Everything I've read has them playing him at the 4, where I thought he vastly preferred the 3.

He would have played the 4 at CU. No significant difference between Turgeon's system and Boyle's. Johnson & Jenkins will be playing the 3.

Would have liked him to come to CU, but we could have used someone who could play next year as well (recent graduate).

Overall, I could see it as a positive as we'll have a chance to have a bigger 2013 class this way. Good get for maryland I guess but I don't think it will be a game changer for their team or anything like that.

Sucks we didnt get him but there is another transfer out east Id love to see at CU, Michael Gbinije from Duke. I think he'll stay out east though. Cville probably knows his game pretty well, he didnt play much in the Duke games I saw. He was only a freshman this year too.

Sucks we didnt get him but there is another transfer out east Id love to see at CU, Michael Gbinije from Duke. I think he'll stay out east though. Cville probably knows his game pretty well, he didnt play much in the Duke games I saw. He was only a freshman this year too.

I know of him because he's from Virginia, played at Benedictine H.S. in Richmond. He was a quality 4* recruit in the 2011 class. Quality 6'6 small forward but definitely pretty lanky. He'll be a good pickup for somebody.

Anyway, would have been nice to land Smotrycz but it's not a huge loss, either. The main issue here is I'm getting ****ing tired of Turgeon always beating out Boyle. That needs to stop. We need to play Maryland again sometime soon and beat those ****ers.

I fully expect Tad to get someone else instead for the 2013 class who will be a valuable contributor for 4 years (less than that if he's good enough to jump early for the NBA).

I hear you but keep in mind we took three less then stelar looking players this last cycle. And while Boyle has added some very good players he's yet to show the ability to win big-boy recruting battles. Scott and Gordon were both in-state players who at least when they committed had no other offers, for some reason most of the schools recruting Xaiver Johnson had stopped going after him prior to us landing him, we beat out Penn State for Roberson, UNLV and Oregon for Dinwiddie, Alabama for Adams, Oregon State and Boston College for Cain, and Booker, Stalzer, Mills, Talton, and Jenkins had no other notable offers. Also, every player who visited CU this last cycle and also visited another school (6 of them) ended up not chosing CU. I'd rather have the proven ability of a transfer then risk whether or not we can land a quality player and even if we do whether such a player would pan out.

I hear you but keep in mind we took three less then stelar looking players this last cycle. And while Boyle has added some very good players he's yet to show the ability to win big-boy recruting battles. Scott and Gordon were both in-state players who at least when they committed had no other offers, for some reason most of the schools recruting Xaiver Johnson had stopped going after him prior to us landing him, we beat out Penn State for Roberson, UNLV and Oregon for Dinwiddie, Alabama for Adams, Oregon State and Boston College for Cain, and Booker, Stalzer, Mills, Talton, and Jenkins had no other notable offers. Also, every player who visited CU this last cycle and also visited another school (6 of them) ended up not chosing CU. I'd rather have the proven ability of a transfer then risk whether or not we can land a quality player and even if we do whether such a player would pan out.

While I can't disagree with most of this, keep in mind the eye for talent the staff showed, with the stock of Scott, Johnson, Jenkins and Gordon all rising after they committed. And we were recruiting against some big schools last year, despite not having an established resume of success. Add in the fact that, agree with the signing or not, Stalzer was brought in for a very specific role and to make inroads with a national powerhouse, and it's impossible to consider last year anything but a huge success. I think the faith in Tad's ability to identify and land talent is justified.

Back