What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TX RB Terrence Crowder (Signed to Colorado)

Maybe I had lower expectations. I thought that in the first full year of recruiting EB would start pulling in some more talent, some more size, and some more speed at the RB position but I never got my hopes up for a blue chip prospect, only because we have yet to play a single game. If we have a rushing attack that nets 2500yds+ on the season you can bet there will be Blue Chip RBs lining up to play in EB's offense.

I will only say that we have naught but to trust Embree's/EB's judgement of talent at this point. Grading them will come later.

Not going to say he should be getting a lot more attention from other schools, not going to say that he is a reach for us based on his other offers. He does have the size and athletic ability to be a quality RB, obviously EB who knows a little bit about the position thinks he can be a quality player, at the same time a lot of other schools who also have coaches who know at least a little about the position aren't quite as excited.

RB is a strange position, a lot of guys who look great as HS Sophs and Jr. level off and never do much in college and other guys who aren't noticed much when younger mature and break out as Srs then develop into quality college backs. Lets hope and assume that EB sees a lot of the latter in Crowder.

Point is not how many teams are after him now but how many teams will wish they had recruited him harder after his Sr. season in HS, that's the question that will matter in the end.

Star rating and BCS offer list are sometimes overated. All that matters and should matter is can the recruit play. Ronny Stewart was not highly recruited and he is having a very good career.

I was also really hoping for some major recruits at RB. Crowder Goodson and him are real sleeper types so that's 2 RB spots now with no blue chipper. Not what I expected :popcorn:.

Goodson is a 2011 class member. So Crowder is the only one for 2012. The more I watch his film the more I like him. He does not look like a sleeper to me. He looks like someone who other schools will regret not recruiring. A sleeper implies that he has more to give and was not showing much. Watching that film this kid is a bulldozer that is not afraid of contact and has some suttle moves to make people miss. It seems like you will like nothing less than 4 or 5 star kids(which would be great). CU is coming off the Hawk era and I think it will take at least this year for the stench of player misuse and horrible coaching to fade. I think CU will pull in some surprises but this class will not be a top 25 class. Top 40 I'd be happy with. Be patient the recruits will come. But all they know now in terms of CU football is losing. I have confidence in the new staff and what I believe will be a big turnaround starting this year. You will see the recruits take notice next year.

dudes. its June. SOme of you are talking like recruiting is already over for the year. Chill :lol:

dudes. its June. SOme of you are talking like recruiting is already over for the year. Chill :lol:

You're right, but I think we need a top 25-35 class this year if we want to challenge for PAC 12 title consistently. So far (and yes, it's only June) at this pace we won't be there.

You're right, but I think we need a top 25-35 class this year if we want to challenge for PAC 12 title consistently. So far (and yes, it's only June) at this pace we won't be there.

We need 25-28 players that are good students, that are good football players.

it's not like Crowder is some punk b****. Some people are sleeping on him. 247 has him rated as their #6 back in Texas and a great possibility he'll move up. They don't even have BJ Catalon ranked. Talent is really in the eye of the beholder. CU might land a guy who absolutely breaks out this year and because we were first, there the whole time, he might just stick it out with us.

You guys need to relax. The video is good. We're not going to hit *grand slams* right off the bat in recruiting. This isn't Bama, Florida, ND, Ohio State or Michigan. We're going to have to work a lot harder than they do.

We need to focus on improving our 85. It's hard to focus on the big picture in recruiting but if we're replacing C/D players with B players, even one at a time, we're getting better overall.

it's not like Crowder is some punk b****. Some people are sleeping on him. 247 has him rated as their #6 back in Texas and a great possibility he'll move up. They don't even have BJ Catalon ranked. Talent is really in the eye of the beholder. CU might land a guy who absolutely breaks out this year and because we were first, there the whole time, he might just stick it out with us.

You guys need to relax. The video is good. We're not going to hit *grand slams* right off the bat in recruiting. This isn't Bama, Florida, ND, Ohio State or Michigan. We're going to have to work a lot harder than they do.

We need to focus on improving our 85. It's hard to focus on the big picture in recruiting but if we're replacing C/D players with B players, even one at a time, we're getting better overall.
:nod:

Crowder doesn't have elite speed, but he looks to be one hell of an effective back. Also, he got uphill in a hurry in the plays I have seen, which is pretty good considering he was getting the ball going sideways in the shotgun.

Not to mention, good news may be coming soon.

Crowder doesn't have elite speed, but he looks to be one hell of an effective back. Also, he got uphill in a hurry in the plays I have seen, which is pretty good considering he was getting the ball going sideways in the shotgun.

You need to splain yourself, Lucy.

... if we're replacing C/D players with B players, even one at a time, we're getting better overall.

To this point, we have 2 senior tailbacks.

No matter how well they've turned out, the recruiting rankings were what they were:

Rodney Stewart: Rivals 2*, Scout unrated, ESPN unrated
Brial Lockridge: Rivals 2*, Scout 2*, ESPN 2*

We had no seniors last year and have brought in 2 freshmen for the 2011 class:

Malcolm Creer: Rivals 3*, Scout 2*, ESPN unrated
D.D. Goodson: Rivals unrated (will give a 2*), Scout unrated, ESPN unrated

If TC is commits as expected, that gives us a start for 2012 with a guy who is currently unrated, but 247's Gerry Hamilton (one of the best sources for recruiting in Texas) has Crowder in his top 8 (final three) in Texas this year. This was 6 months ago and he wrote:
I would also say that there is a decent chance Terrence Crowder of Galena Park ends up higher when all is said and done.
http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Top-RBs-for-2012-9781

We're building depth and we're improving our team. I know it's hard to do, but why don't we wait for Crowder to get rated before using the rating system against him in our analysis.

I hope he proves me wrong, but he is just a "meh" recruit to me.

The expectations for this class and the 2013 should be high. Why are people already giving the coaching staff "outs" if they miss on top players? At some point, results have to matter and it should start with the giant class we are taking this year.

Completely agree. It's easy to underrate guys like Crowder, but with the system I believe the Buffs will be running, I'll take a guy who is always moving forward any day. You may not see a lot of 20+ runs from Crowder, but he'll consistently keep you in those 2nd and 6, or 3rd and 2 situations, and keep the chains moving.

I'd also agree I think we're going to be getting some good news soon, not only on Crowder, but a few others after the Elite Camp. Hopefully this next week or so will be the turning point to get some momentum going in this class.

The expectations for this class and the 2013 should be high. Why are people already giving the coaching staff "outs" if they miss on top players? At some point, results have to matter and it should start with the giant class we are taking this year.

I agree. But I like Crowder better than Catalon so it's hard for me to complain on this one.

I agree. But I like Crowder better than Catalon so it's hard for me to complain on this one.

Which is a perfectly valid opinion to have. I am not overly impressed with Crowder, but obviously the coaches see something different to be accepting a commitment from him this early.

I just find it weird to see more posts popping up lately with lowered expectations for this class. We need this class to be good, and not just in the eyes of Buffs fans either.

I like Crowder, but he's not way up there on my wish list. Davien Payne is way up there for power backs, along with that Ryan McDaniel kid.

I always prefer shorter power backs, so I like this kid more than Thompson or Smith who we offered around the same time. Although, my reservations on Smith have more to do with his off the field stuff; his on the field looks pretty damn good.

I'm glad the kid wants to commit, but I kind of wish the staff would hold off and see if we can't get in on McDaniel or even get an answer from Payne. I can't imagine we'd be taking two power backs this cycle for both of our RB spots. I really want a fast kid to pair with a big kid.

By the time the recruiting site are done evaluating him, i believe he will get a 3 star rating. Crowder looks good.

Last edited:

Like I said a top 40 class would be a nice start. I'm not giving the staff an out. A teenagers memory is not that long and CU is not a prime destination right now. I hope with the new staff that changes immediately. CU is a great place to get an education and has a top 25 "historically speaking" football program.
None of that matters to alot of these kids who remember last year and the year before. As far as the NC in 1990 that's when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. This is a rebuilding situation and I am suprised that some of the Allbuffs recruitng gurus are getting a little nervous(IMO) already. A good start would be making a bowl game with this schedule. I will be surprised if we do considering we have not even have one db to put on the outside. I'm looking for improvment on the field even if it does not translate into wins immediately. I believe in this staff but it will take more than one year.

I like Crowder, but he's not way up there on my wish list. Davien Payne is way up there for power backs, along with that Ryan McDaniel kid.

I always prefer shorter power backs, so I like this kid more than Thompson or Smith who we offered around the same time. Although, my reservations on Smith have more to do with his off the field stuff; his on the field looks pretty damn good.

I'm glad the kid wants to commit, but I kind of wish the staff would hold off and see if we can't get in on McDaniel or even get an answer from Payne. I can't imagine we'd be taking two power backs this cycle for both of our RB spots. I really want a fast kid to pair with a big kid.
Why not take two power backs. Tony Jones is only a RS fr. You also have DD Goodson who can be a third down type of back.

Like I said a top 40 class would be a nice start. I'm not giving the staff an out. A teenagers memory is not that long and CU is not a prime destination right now. I hope with the new staff that changes immediately. CU is a great place to get an education and has a top 25 "historically speaking" football program.
None of that matters to alot of these kids who remember last year and the year before. As far as the NC in 1990 that's when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. This is a rebuilding situation and I am suprised that some of the Allbuffs recruitng gurus are getting a little nervous(IMO) already. A good start would be making a bowl game with this schedule. I will be surprised if we do considering we have not even have one db to put on the outside. I'm looking for improvment on the field even if it does not translate into wins immediately. I believe in this staff but it will take more than one year.

I think it is fair to expect more than top 40. New coaching staffs always get a recruiting bump and we have a staff that was put together in part because of their recruiting prowess/connections. I think you will be surprised at what can happen when a couple elite prospects pull the trigger. Not saying it is going to be easy, but if we land a lot of the players want (early offers and legit interest), we are going to do quite well. If not, the Plan B/C/D players are going to enter the equation and we are right back to where started.

Why not take two power backs. Tony Jones is only a RS fr. You also have DD Goodson who can be a third down type of back.

Ideally, I would like to see us upgrade the speed across the board. We have a lot of quick RBs, but I think a true home run threat would make a huge difference.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with it, I just really want to see us get a fast guy who can break off some 80 yard runs or catch a swing pass and score a TD.

I'm also not loving the DD Goodson pickup. I'm just not seeing Rodgers brothers in him. Then again, I suck at talent evaluation so.. :thumbsup:

Which is a perfectly valid opinion to have. I am not overly impressed with Crowder, but obviously the coaches see something different to be accepting a commitment from him this early.

I just find it weird to see more posts popping up lately with lowered expectations for this class. We need this class to be good, and not just in the eyes of Buffs fans either.

247 seems to like him a lot. His film looks great and AZ reported that he ran a 4.4 hand timed 40 last month. This is going to be a zone blocking scheme, one cut and go. The guy runs downhill, hits the hole in a hurry, decisively cuts, and the best part about his game? He has bulk and lean. When he gets near contact, he pads are always lower, and moving forward. That projects well for his ability to pick up critical 1st downs and TD's on the goal-line something we've sucked at for a few years. His bulk keeps him moving forward and makes him tough to bring down. That will be a great natural fit for this running scheme.

I like him. At the end of the day, he's going to be one talented back out of five or six competing for our starting gig vs. the depth issues we see today where we have walk-on Jacoby Ford automatically ascending to the 3rd string position. We are better with Crowder's commitment not only on the field of play, but it's another in-road we've secured in Texas. The future of this program depends on solidify ourselves in Socal again, and making our way back into Texas. I'm proud of the effort & vision Embree/EB and staff are putting forward. They aren't just talking about it, they're backing it up with commitments. First Catalon, now Crowder.

247 seems to like him a lot. His film looks great and AZ reported that he ran a 4.4 hand timed 40 last month. This is going to be a zone blocking scheme, one cut and go. The guy runs downhill, hits the hole in a hurry, decisively cuts, and the best part about his game? He has bulk and lean. When he gets near contact, he pads are always lower, and moving forward. That projects well for his ability to pick up critical 1st downs and TD's on the goal-line something we've sucked at for a few years. His bulk keeps him moving forward and makes him tough to bring down. That will be a great natural fit for this running scheme.

I like him. At the end of the day, he's going to be one talented back out of five or six competing for our starting gig vs. the depth issues we see today where we have walk-on Jacoby Ford automatically ascending to the 3rd string position. We are better with Crowder's commitment not only on the field of play, but it's another in-road we've secured in Texas. The future of this program depends on solidify ourselves in Socal again, and making our way back into Texas. I'm proud of the effort & vision Embree/EB and staff are putting forward. They aren't just talking about it, they're backing it up with commitments. First Catalon, now Crowder.

Hey, my opinion is certainly not the end-all, be-all. I hope he proves me wrong, I just look at his film and think solid football player. Not the worst indictment of a player's talent. Posters can look at the same highlight videos and come with dramatically different opinions, but I am going to trust the coaches on this one since it is June (would be different in January).

I agree about the efforts in Houston.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with it, I just really want to see us get a fast guy who can break off some 80 yard runs or catch a swing pass and score a TD.

I'm also not loving the DD Goodson pickup. I'm just not seeing Rodgers brothers in him. Then again, I suck at talent evaluation so.. :thumbsup:

You have to role-play I think. EB just came from Minnesota. There he had his traditional work horse backs that he favors in starter Adrian Peterson and alternate in Chester Taylor (2009). Then they drafted Percy Harvin who added a dynamic presence to the offense which EB hadn't really used before, a WR who could catch passes in the slot, stretch the field on deep routes and also could motion or move into the backfield and tote the rock. I think it's changed the way he plans to call and conduct his offenses and i've seen a heavier volume than normal with us in on guys like DD Goodson, and more recently Robert Lewis from East Gate. They are recruiting these dual playmaker HB/WR's probably at the clip of once or twice per cycle from the looks of it.

I think it is fair to expect more than top 40. New coaching staffs always get a recruiting bump and we have a staff that was put together in part because of their recruiting prowess/connections. I think you will be surprised at what can happen when a couple elite prospects pull the trigger. Not saying it is going to be easy, but if we land a lot of the players want (early offers and legit interest), we are going to do quite well. If not, the Plan B/C/D players are going to enter the equation and we are right back to where started.

Ideally, I would like to see us upgrade the speed across the board. We have a lot of quick RBs, but I think a true home run threat would make a huge difference.

understood

Just all depends on the product we put on the field this fall, even if it doesn't result in wins.

Rivals is also reporting a commitment coming on Monday.

In an e-mail to BuffStampede.com, Crowder confirmed rumors that he plans to make his college decision on Monday morning. He is expected to commit to Colorado.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1230699

I'll wait until one of the big sites lists him as committed before changing his status on AB, but it sounds like we can mark it.

Welcome to the Buffs, Terrence!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Back