What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO DE Austin Berk (Signed to CSU)

So he would potentially be 4 to play 4? he's used his RS year already, then sitting out a season on his own... or would he be 3 to play 3?

So he would potentially be 4 to play 4? he's used his RS year already, then sitting out a season on his own... or would he be 3 to play 3?

Unless he is granted a medical exemption (likely if he is sitting out the whole year, he would be a 3 to play 3. The clock starts upon initial enrollment.

Nope.

CU was offering a greyshirt (maybe that changed, but that was the initial offer). CSU brought him in on time with a standard scholarship offer.

Berk ended up playing as a true freshman. He was one of the highlighted young players and considered a future star of the defense.

If he took this year off, it would be a redshirt year.

Then, in 2015 he would be a redshirt sophomore (3 to play 3).

Note: per the article, coaches at CSU were shocked he wanted to leave... i.e. they don't want him to leave. He's a D1 player. If he can get that hip right.

Rivals just published an article.

I want this kid to be a Buff. You don't find his kind of toughness very often.

Berk earned all-state honors after recording 62 tackles, 10-and-a-half sacks, two fumble recoveries and one interception on defense.

He was able to have success as a junior despite playing with a bad hip.

"I tore the labrum in my hip last April and I decided to play through it," Berk said. "I had surgery about four weeks ago. Right now I am just doing a lot of upper-body work. The doctor said I might be running again in April.
I am excited knowing that next year I should be able to come back healthy and have an even better season."

The article goes on to talk about his level of interest in the Buffs. Worth the read.

I went back in this thread to re-acquaint myself with him and his recruitment and came across this little gem. Looks like has had hip issues for some time.

Nope.

CU was offering a greyshirt (maybe that changed, but that was the initial offer). CSU brought him in on time with a standard scholarship offer.

Berk ended up playing as a true freshman. He was one of the highlighted young players and considered a future star of the defense.

If he took this year off, it would be a redshirt year.

Then, in 2015 he would be a redshirt sophomore (3 to play 3).

Ahh.. I didn't realize that he played his frosh year. Hope that he can get healthy.

I went back in this thread to re-acquaint myself with him and his recruitment and came across this little gem. Looks like has had hip issues for some time.

The Coloradan article says he's had the hip issue his entire life
He played in five games as a true freshman for the Rams in 2013 and recorded three tackles, but his season was cut short when he underwent surgery to repair his hip that would also prevent him from participating in spring drills. Berk said he was cleared to play after the first two weeks of spring practices, but immediately re-injured his hip, which has been irregularly shaped since birth.

Hmmm. Might be why CU was talking greyshirt. CSU played the trump card of early enrollment to block us. Not sure it ended up being the best thing for him.

I dunno. I mean, I like the kid and all. He seems to be a good kid, but hip injuries are nasty. It was a hip injury that killed Bo Jackson's career - both of them.

I dunno. I mean, I like the kid and all. He seems to be a good kid, but hip injuries are nasty. It was a hip injury that killed Bo Jackson's career - both of them.

He did get medical clearance this spring.

Ideal situation would be for him to walk on at CU in the fall, be a limited participant in practices if necessary, and then put him on scholarship in January if the signs are good.

I don't know if that's an option, but it would seem to make sense.

Ideal situation would be for him to walk on at CU in the fall, be a limited participant in practices if necessary, and then put him on scholarship in January if the signs are good.

For all we know, "Medical clearance" might have consisted of "the hip is fine, for now". If it's prone to injury, that's a problem.

I'm not really taking a side on this one way or the other. I am leery of using up a scholarship for a kid who may not be able to contribute on a consistent basis. Contributing means being able to practice as well as play in games.

As a walk-on, he would get the same level of medical care, correct? If so then it makes perfect sense to do so.

Not sure any team or staff is gonna risk a schollie on a player with an existing condition that has already required multiple surgeries.

As a walk-on, he would get the same level of medical care, correct? If so then it makes perfect sense to do so.

Not sure any team or staff is gonna risk a schollie on a player with an existing condition that has already required multiple surgeries.

This is how I am thinking. Get him access to our trainers and med staff as a preferred walk on. Then wait and see on a scholarship based on his recovery.

Except CSU, who is apparently surprised at the move. They have already invested in the kid and there was no indication that they were going to put him on a medical hardship scholarship.

No use speculating on injuries. Coaches and medical staff will figure that out.

Anything I'm posting on this subject is under the umbrella of "assuming that Berk is medically cleared".

Just a question for those in the know.

Are there limitations on the ability of the CU athletic program to make use of the expertise at the CU med school. I understand they would of course be billed for it, etc. but if he were to join the Buffs the level of expertise at the Med School could be a difference maker in his continued development and health.

Back