What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 TX SF George King (Signed to Colorado)

For those talking redshirt, I'd be surprised if Tad came in this late on a kid to redshirt him. The staff saw something they liked and felt he could bring something they were lacking. Knowingly passing up on one of the talents we're in on in 2014 is a pretty strong indication that they expect an immediate contribution, IMO.

Lots of highlights where he would make the play on D and then score directly after. Definitely a good 2-way player. Solid stroke from 3 as well

Yeah. The explosiveness and court sense were very impressive. Offensively, he reminds me a lot of XJ. Better handle but may not have quite the shooting touch XJ does. They're a lot alike, though.

'13 TX SF George King (Verbal to Colorado)

For those talking redshirt, I'd be surprised if Tad came in this late on a kid to redshirt him. The staff saw something they liked and felt he could bring something they were lacking. Knowingly passing up on one of the talents we're in on in 2014 is a pretty strong indication that they expect an immediate contribution, IMO.

Very good point. If that's the case then it's tough to make an argument for any of the 2013 guys. Maybe Staltzer or Talton? Unlikely I know.

Could be, I'm sure Tad would like to RS some guys to further develop them but the size of the roster doesn't let that happen a lot. In this case King may be asked to take some of Dre's role and minutes. Of course we are talking a developing fr. vs a guy who was a special players but having a forward who can bang and still be mobile may free XJ up to do some other things.

Yeah. The explosiveness and court sense were very impressive. Offensively, he reminds me a lot of XJ. Better handle but may not have quite the shooting touch XJ does. They're a lot alike, though.
Yeah, or a more explosive Dustin Thomas. His offensive versatility is really impressive. It's hard to see how a kid playing on one of the best 4a teams in Texas, with that type of film, can go unnoticed so late in the process, but I'm glad he did!

The late-developer part of the equation must have played a huge role in King still being available to sign this late. His overall game is too good to have been overlooked otherwise. Tad is plucking gems out of San Antonio!

'13 TX SF George King (Verbal to Colorado)

Yeah, or a more explosive Dustin Thomas. His offensive versatility is really impressive. It's hard to see how a kid playing on one of the best 4a teams in Texas, with that type of film, can go unnoticed so late in the process, but I'm glad he did!

Newer high school and a late developer

There is some message board chatter that King didn't get his qualifying test score until late Nov/Dec after the early period was over. That doesn't seem right, though, because I think he took an OV in the fall to one of the mid-majors that had offered. Also, some of his big spring offers might have been full and asking him to do a prep year.

There is some message board chatter that King didn't get his qualifying test score until late Nov/Dec after the early period was over. That doesn't seem right, though, because I think he took an OV in the fall to one of the mid-majors that had offered. Also, some of his big spring offers might have been full and asking him to do a prep year.

Article in today BDC quotes him as saying his academics were poor until his senior season when he realized he had D1 potential and he buckled down and got straight A's. Also says that he would not have qualified at many schools, including CU, where he stood after his junior year.

Very good point. If that's the case then it's tough to make an argument for any of the 2013 guys. Maybe Staltzer or Talton? Unlikely I know.

Not as unlikely as you may think. Would be a smart move to put some space between serviceable point guards, of whom you can never have enough, just ask Roy Williams!. Bringing both Talton and Stalzer was a level of insurance in case Dinwiddie wasn't as capable as a full time point (last year he was behind Tomlinson and more of a combo, he's still a better combo than a true point). Wouldn't hurt at all to RS either as sophs, depending upon who comes on stronger this summer.

Someone's going to get redshirted/not play much. Just not enough minutes to go around with Fletcher, Hopkins, Jenkins and King

Newer high school and a late developer

Yeah, it still surprises me though. He should've had decent exposure, but I just don't think he was really showcased all that much in their system either. Regardless, I'm happy that was the case!

That was me on the test score, but I found it awhile ago and don't remember where it was. I'll see if I can find the article again.

While Tad didn't recruit the kid with redshirting in mind, a few other majors were recruiting him with Prep school in mind (what is known as a Post Grad year).

I'm sure Tad's position is we get these kids in here in June, and let it all work itself out. There's a lot of possibilities of who will play and not play. Defense and taking care of the ball will be key.

While Tad didn't recruit the kid with redshirting in mind, a few other majors were recruiting him with Prep school in mind (what is known as a Post Grad year).

I'm sure Tad's position is we get these kids in here in June, and let it all work itself out. There's a lot of possibilities of who will play and not play. Defense and taking care of the ball will be key.

This. Until these kids get to campus, there's no way of knowing who will be ready or who will be the next Damiene Cain. It will all sort itself out this fall.

It's now official. Thread title changed to "signed" now that the official site has written an article.

King had gone out of town for his sister's graduation or something... and the story is he left his unsigned letter in the car at the airport by accident. He said he'd be faxing it in today (Monday), but I was getting increasingly worried that something was up.

Glad to find out I was worried over nothing.

http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=207654660

"They believe in me and I believe in them,” King told Rivals.com on signing with the Buffaloes. "I've only been to Colorado a handful of times and it was my first time in Boulder," he said. "I knew I liked it as soon as I stepped foot in Boulder. It has a beautiful campus, really nice people.”

Boyle offers King on the same day Dre declares

http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=207655865
CU received a signed national letter-of-intent on Monday from George King, a 6-5
freshman from San Antonio (Brennan) who was offered a scholarship by Boyle on
the same Sunday (April 28) that Andre Roberson elected to declare himself
eligible for the NBA Draft. King fits Boyle’s scheme because he can play
multiple positions – “He can rebound, block shots, shoot and defend,” Boyle
said.]
I thought it interesting Boyle offered King the same day Dre declared for the draft. Obviously Boyle must have been pretty excited about King. He didn't need to sleep on it.

"King pronounced he will pointer a inhabitant minute of vigilant as shortly as Monday."

One of my favorite parts.

Wtf was that? :lol:

I'm betting that it got run through google translate a couple times before it was posted there. I've seen this stuff before with some of the Chinese guys who I used to work with. Brazen or otherwise though, I'm excited to welcome this kid into the fold!

B.G. Brooks' article on the Coaches Caravan
George’s father is 6-8, his mother 6-3. George has an 11-foot wingspan and wears a size 16 shoe. Yes, he could grow a bit more, but even if he doesn’t Boyle and his staff like everything about King at his current size.

Back