What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 WA QB Sefo Liufau (Signed to Colorado)

Sefo is a big-time pick up for the 'Buffs!

He's legit, and will be a solid addition to Embree's rebuild.

Can't wait to see him play for the B&G!

:rock3:

Mtn ..... did you hack CVille's account ?

Wow. Holy ****. I just looked back at the post I made last night. That seriously gave Mtn a run for his money.

Anyway, just to add on to the Sefo convo: Everyone remembers Washington getting Cyler Miles last cycle, but they also brought in Jeff Lindquist (4*), so they're probably not going to be completely panicked about landing a QB this 2013 cycle.

3* #51 QB on Scout.

Seems really low given the Rivals and 247Sports rankings.

A little strange considering Rivals, 247 and ESPN. Hopefully this wasn't the reactionary "Oh, he committed to Colorado, so he must be a mid-range 3*" routine.

A little strange considering Rivals, 247 and ESPN. Hopefully this wasn't the reactionary "Oh, he committed to Colorado, so he must be a mid-range 3*" routine.

It sounds like that was just an initial grade from Scout. I'd expect to see a big move up at some point. Huffman is supposed to be pretty high on him.

He's considered a high 3* on Scout who is being watched as a guy who could very well move up with a strong camp showing and senior year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/breaking-down-liufau-1104094

Man I'm getting excited the more I hear about Sefo. Sounds like a great kid to have in the program. Had he gone out to every camp out there, you bet he'd be getting major D1 offers.

Great job by Embo and staff for recognizing talent and jumping on it! Had we waited for his offer list to grow to 10 or more, we would have had a tough time.

No position is more important to a team than QB and CU appears to be handling it much better than I had hoped they would.

Sefo is a great talent who (even with a 4 star rating) is considered "under the radar". Well he may very well be blowing up the radar in a couple years here at Colorado.

Welcome!

bleacherreport.com under recruiting updates,It,s not a bad article it's just the headline that gets me a bit.

I can actually see him not getting many more offers unless he goes to some more national camps and such. UW might eventually offer along with WSU, but all 4 Cali schools already have QBs. Oregon and Arizona aren't going to offer (he doesn't fit there). Even Boise already has their QB this cycle. I can see him ending up just getting offers from Oregon State and Arizona State outside of any possible in state offers.

Either way, offers aren't a good judge in this case imo. Like BB said earlier in the thread, the coaches thought this kid was one of the best on their board. They offered early and got a commit. That's all that really matters.

The offers shouldn't be a concern at all at this point. As nik mentioned, we really outrecruited some of our conference competition by identifying and prioritizing a kid who was under the radar early on. Had the staff waited at all, I'm pretty sure we'd be in a dogfight with 4 or 5 other Pac-12 schools, potentially including a couple of conference heavyweights.

Like Clay Norgard and Tyler Henington, he might check out from the recruiting process and focus on his seniour year. No need to talk to coaches that call and court offers.

Don't even start.:smile2:

Anyway, no offers in April is not that concerning, but that outlook changes 2-3 months down the road.

I'm surprised to hear that BB. The kid attended the U.S. Army National Combine - one of the top attended showcases for talent that there is for college coaches. And seemingly did well. He plays for a pretty high profile program in HS. His team went something like 12-1 last year, no? This kid didn't just fall off the turnip truck. He was visible enough to get rated by Rivals before he had any offers.

Going thru the Rivals database, the other 4 star kids all have 8 or more offers with the exception of one kid with 4 mid-major offers.

In fact, in looking at the 3-star rated QBs at 5.6 and above they almost all have 3 offers, mostly 3 or more BCS offers.

I don't see it as likely that he is under the radar, given his Rivals ranking and all those coaches at the US Army. More likely, there's something CU & the Rivals Analyst sees that others don't see at this point. In my years of following this, that is VERY unusual, April or not. Do kids emerge late and get big offers? Sure. But it's pretty rare for a kid ranked by Rivals in the top 15 in his position to be in that situation. Something is up here besides lack of exposure.

With that said, I love this kid's film and I'm not disparaging the offer/commitment. I just don't think we can pass this off as "normal". It's unusual.

I'm surprised to hear that BB. The kid attended the U.S. Army National Combine - one of the top attended showcases for talent that there is for college coaches. And seemingly did well. He plays for a pretty high profile program in HS. His team went something like 12-1 last year, no? This kid didn't just fall off the turnip truck. He was visible enough to get rated by Rivals before he had any offers.

Going thru the Rivals database, the other 4 star kids all have 8 or more offers with the exception of one kid with 4 mid-major offers.

In fact, in looking at the 3-star rated QBs at 5.6 and above they almost all have 3 offers, mostly 3 or more BCS offers.

I don't see it as likely that he is under the radar, given his Rivals ranking and all those coaches at the US Army. More likely, there's something CU & the Rivals Analyst sees that others don't see at this point. In my years of following this, that is VERY unusual, April or not. Do kids emerge late and get big offers? Sure. But it's pretty rare for a kid ranked by Rivals in the top 15 in his position to be in that situation. Something is up here besides lack of exposure.

With that said, I love this kid's film and I'm not disparaging the offer/commitment. I just don't think we can pass this off as "normal". It's unusual.

I agree that it is an odd situation, it just does not overly concern me. Scherer has been pretty stingy with QB offers when he has actually had time to evaluate them (15 offers combined in the 2012 and 2013 classes). So the coaches like him quite a bit, which is enough for me in April.

The more concerning issues would start to arise in the summer/fall when guys we offered just as early or earlier than Liufau commit elsewhere. One thing that will interesting to follow in this class is how many battles we win against PAC-12 teams. Liufau might eventually fall into category, but guys off the top of my head that clearly fall into this category:

-Dane Crane
-Sean Harlow
-Cameron Hunt
-Terrell Newby (not entirely sure on the situation here)
-Alex Redmond
-Xavier Shepherd
-Derek Babiash
-Dashon Hunt
-Connor O'Brien
-Kenneth Clark

Some of these players need to ultimately sign with us or we have moved down the list to other prospects, which is not good. Plus we will likely be playing against them in the coming years.

Offers are self reported, no? It's entirely possible that he has gotten lots of interest, and maybe even some offers that he's just not reporting.

Offers are self reported, no? It's entirely possible that he has gotten lots of interest, and maybe even some offers that he's just not reporting.

I'm betting that this is the case. Most likely he decided on being a Buff and may have just told other schools don't bother. The ones that have indicated that they would offer he has either flat out rejected or simply hasn't bothered to report.

Different situation but last year Norgard's profile showed few other offers. He could have had plenty if he had opened up to other schools but he wasn't interested.

Back