What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA ATH Donovan Lee (Signed to COLORADO)

Umm that wasn't me...it was probably Mtn. I wanted the coaches to get the ball in DD's hands more all season because he made plays, I see the same for Lee

There are speed guys and there are speed guys. When I heard about their plans for DD I was excited and fully in favor and he did some decent things. Unfortunately more often he was a non-factor. Even with his speed he didn't make things happen as often as I would have liked out of the position, not saying he didn't do anything, just didn't do enough.

As I think back on the season one of the things I didn't see out of him was giving Sefo an easy target. I saw a few plays where he was "open" but with his lack of height a ball thrown over the defender was also thrown over him, his window was very small. Other plays he didn't find the gaps and present a target.

There a guys who play "bigger" than they are and guys who play "smaller." To my eye DD plays small.

I haven't given up on him and I don't have a clue why they didn't give him more chances to return KOs when it became obvious that Severson wasn't likely to give us anything special or even consistently good.

It would be great if Lee were a few inches taller but on the other hand if he were we would likely be at the end of a long line of schools after his services.

In his highlight tape (and it's important to remember that it's highlights) Lee shows much more ability to change directions while running than DD and way more than Severson. He has a lot of quickness and agility to go with his speed. It's hard to tell because it is HS but he also does look like he plays bigger than his size.

There are speed guys and there are speed guys. When I heard about their plans for DD I was excited and fully in favor and he did some decent things. Unfortunately more often he was a non-factor. Even with his speed he didn't make things happen as often as I would have liked out of the position, not saying he didn't do anything, just didn't do enough.

As I think back on the season one of the things I didn't see out of him was giving Sefo an easy target. I saw a few plays where he was "open" but with his lack of height a ball thrown over the defender was also thrown over him, his window was very small. Other plays he didn't find the gaps and present a target.

There a guys who play "bigger" than they are and guys who play "smaller." To my eye DD plays small.

I haven't given up on him and I don't have a clue why they didn't give him more chances to return KOs when it became obvious that Severson wasn't likely to give us anything special or even consistently good.

It would be great if Lee were a few inches taller but on the other hand if he were we would likely be at the end of a long line of schools after his services.

In his highlight tape (and it's important to remember that it's highlights) Lee shows much more ability to change directions while running than DD and way more than Severson. He has a lot of quickness and agility to go with his speed. It's hard to tell because it is HS but he also does look like he plays bigger than his size.
tl;dr

Is this going to lead to another discussion like in chat the other week?

tl;dr

Is this going to lead to another discussion like in chat the other week?

Prefer at this point that we focus on Lee.

Couple of interesting issues come with him. One is does he play offense or defense. We know that a guy playing both ways makes a great story but as much as we'd like to think differently this isn't Champ Bailey or Deon Sanders who famously saw some offensive plays while starting on defense. Going the other way is even rarer.

We need playmakers on offense. At the same time our defense isn't exactly the 85 Bears. Crowley seems to be the guy who gets to cover, and get burned by our opponents big play recievers. Can he be our corner who takes away the deep ball consistently.

Either way I am hoping that we see him fairly early on returning KOs. Severson gave it his all but I got tired of seeing the equivelent of a touchback every KO as he ran the ball up to the 20 and found a defender to run into.

Highlights against Serra

[video=youtube;TFJmyozxfV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFJmyozxfV4[/video]

Note: The first defensive play they show of Lee, Jackson is Adoree Jackson who ran a 4.44 at The Opening. The talent at Serra is unreal to, check out their 2014 class alone...

5* Adoree' Jackson
4* Dwight Williams
4* Olajuwan Tucker - USC
3* Jordon Lasley - UCLA
3* Jalen Greene - Boise State
3* Glen Ihenacho - Oregon

Their 2015 class already has two 5*'s on defense....:wow:

I've seen 2 or 3 of Chaminade's games this fall. Donovan is just a fun player to watch. He makes plays in every phase of the game and just keeps on going. He took some hard hits in that Serra game, but that didn't slow him down. Return game, blocking kicks, offense, defense, he was everywhere in the games I watched. Not always stuff that ends up on highlight reels, but solid football.

His size is obviously the reason he doesn't have offers from our peers, but it is what it is. I think he'll overcome that disadvantage because he's such a tough player.

Absolutely crushing it in the state championship game. Scored on a rushing TD and then came back with a pick-six on defense. Kid can ball.

[video=youtube;U_I3GJ7jac4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_I3GJ7jac4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Ytz_hIctaDI]http://youtu.be/Ytz_hIctaDI[/video]

Video posted on last page...

It looks like he almost scored a long TD on a reception too

Donovan you have a bright future opportunity before you. Go make it happen. Wanna see you in Black and Gold!

Last edited:
Back