What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO PG Dominique Collier (Signed to Colorado)

Dom tore it up in the third quarter of the 5A championship game. He has the offensive moves and he's also a distributor. I can't wait to see him on this same floor later this year.

officially excited to see Dom wearing the black and gold. Got a few questions on him, but he's good.

His defense was really awesome and I think he fit his role with East this year. That team is really damn good and he let the game come to him. He had two points in the first half, but defensively he was solid and distributed well and when he needed to he turned it on. Dare I say he reminded me of a certain player that would've been awesome to have in 3/4 of Pac 12 play.

His defense was really awesome and I think he fit his role with East this year. That team is really damn good and he let the game come to him. He had two points in the first half, but defensively he was solid and distributed well and when he needed to he turned it on. Dare I say he reminded me of a certain player that would've been awesome to have in 3/4 of Pac 12 play.

You bring up some good points.

The difference in the game was the defense that the entire East team played and Dom was right in the middle of it all night. He also handled it very well when it was clear that FR had determined that they weren't going to let him beat them. Instead of getting frustrated he used their defensive attention on him to create opportunity for his teammates. When he did finally get his opportunities he didn't press and act like he had to make up for things, he played very much under control and with a lot of poise.

He can do some special things with the ball, just as importantly he can also do some special things when he doesn't have it.

My biggest concern with Dom is that a lot of his passes are just soft, lazy lobs. Those will get picked off all day long against better competition. If he works on that, and continues to improve his shot, he'll be fine. His handle should be the best on the team from day 1.

My biggest concern with Dom is that a lot of his passes are just soft, lazy lobs. Those will get picked off all day long against better competition. If he works on that, and continues to improve his shot, he'll be fine. His handle should be the best on the team from day 1.

At the same time though he's succeeded (to say the least) at a very high level of AAU ball for years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the same time though he's succeeded (to say the least) at a very high level of AAU ball for years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, he's a damn good player and should be a major contributor next year. He does need to clean up a few things in his game though, just like any freshman.

Looks like Collier has improved his strength. Nice high arc on his 3-point shot here from the championship game the other week.

[video=youtube;YzXNAxrzQmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzXNAxrzQmU[/video]

Looks like Collier has improved his strength. Nice high arc on his 3-point shot here from the championship game the other week.

[video=youtube;YzXNAxrzQmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzXNAxrzQmU[/video]

For those that haven't seen Dom play in person, he's going to be one of the top 3 point guards to every play at CU. Obviously I'm riding the DC train early, but he's got game.

For those that haven't seen Dom play in person, he's going to be one of the top 3 point guards to every play at CU. Obviously I'm riding the DC train early, but he's got game.

Chauncey Billups
Spencer Dinwiddie
Jay Humphries

That's a difficult Top 3 to crack.

Humphries was a PG.

He's also, by far, CU's all-time leader in assists and steals.

P.S. Well before my time, but Chuck Williams is also in the conversation for GOAT CU PG.

Humphries was a PG.

He's also, by far, CU's all-time leader in assists and steals.

P.S. Well before my time, but Chuck Williams is also in the conversation for GOAT CU PG.

Cant speak to Williams ...

I rank Humphries as the number 1 all-time point guard at CU ... based not only on skill and athleticism, but also taking into account his four year tenure and the impact that he had on the players around him. No disrespect intended to the other two. Chauncey is an obvious legend and Spenser is great. But Chauncey was here only two years and Spenser is not as good overall as Humphries in my opinion.
as Humphries

I hope that Collier is in their league. What a gift that would be for the program

Cant speak to Williams ...

I rank Humphries as the number 1 all-time point guard at CU ... based not only on skill and athleticism, but also taking into account his four year tenure and the impact that he had on the players around him. No disrespect intended to the other two. Chauncey is an obvious legend and Spenser is great. But Chauncey was here only two years and Spenser is not as good overall as Humphries in my opinion.
as Humphries

I hope that Collier is in their league. What a gift that would be for the program

Humphries is still my all-time favorite buff and is the player who made me bleed black 'n gold when I was a junior high-schooler. I probably missed about 5-10 of his career home games. Unfortunately, they never made the dance, there was little to no TV exposure, and maybe a few thousand die-hards made it to the Events Center to watch him play. He was coached by Tom Apke and succeeded at PG by Mike Reid (not Tad Boyle). No matter what he did, he had no chance to make a lasting impact on the program.

Chauncey got the Buffs to the dance and beat Indiana. He got butts in the seats and got people interested in CU hoops. He was coached by Ricardo Patton and succeeded by Marlon Hughes at PG. End of story.

Spencer got CU to three NCAA tourneys, got the Buffs in the national conversation and probably helped recruit much of the next wave of Buffs with his play and personality. His was coached by Tad Boyle and will be succeeded at the point by Dominique Collier.

Things are looking a lot brighter than the dark days that followed Humphries and Billups. Here's hoping Dom is the right guy at the right time to actually keep some momentum going. I think he is.

I love what Spencer has done for us and he is both a good kid and a talented player. Would have been interesting to see what this team could have done if he had stayed healthy. I'm thinking at least a sixth seed and a decent shot at the sweet 16.

Jay Humphries was also a great player and Buff. It would be interesting to see what he could do with the talent this current team has.

That all said, Chauncey was a step above either one of them. Scoob is correct in mentioning what he managed to accomplish in spite of the coach and the talent around him. Put Chauncey on this current team and I don't know what their upper limit would be but sweet 16 would be the minimum and probably dissapointing. There is a reason why he was drafted in the top 5 players picked, it took him a while to get the swing of things but you are talking about a guy who is going to end up in the HOF.

I don't remember Chucky as a Buff but do remember him as a pro. Very good player but I would have no question about putting him behind Chauncey and Jay.

Humphries is still my all-time favorite buff and is the player who made me bleed black 'n gold when I was a junior high-schooler. I probably missed about 5-10 of his career home games. Unfortunately, they never made the dance, there was little to no TV exposure, and maybe a few thousand die-hards made it to the Events Center to watch him play. He was coached by Tom Apke and succeeded at PG by Mike Reid (not Tad Boyle). No matter what he did, he had no chance to make a lasting impact on the program.

Chauncey got the Buffs to the dance and beat Indiana. He got butts in the seats and got people interested in CU hoops. He was coached by Ricardo Patton and succeeded by Marlon Hughes at PG. End of story.

Spencer got CU to three NCAA tourneys, got the Buffs in the national conversation and probably helped recruit much of the next wave of Buffs with his play and personality. His was coached by Tad Boyle and will be succeeded at the point by Dominique Collier.

Things are looking a lot brighter than the dark days that followed Humphries and Billups. Here's hoping Dom is the right guy at the right time to actually keep some momentum going. I think he is.

Nice post ... you know your stuff.
Apke took over after the prior coach left ... sorry I am an old guy and my memory is not that great, but one of your guys will likely remember his name. Anyway, Humphries came to CU along with another high school teammate as a consolation prize ... another guy on their hisgh team was taken by Larry Brown at UCLA and he steered these two guys to Colorado because he was a friend of the CU coach at the time. As I recall, the second best guy there while Humphries was playing was the guy who came with him ... about a six seven skinny forward who played in the post a lot. They never had much to work with, but they did beat Duke at CU when Duke's team was starting mostly freshman (those guys went on to an NCAA championship a couple of years later).

Nice post ... you know your stuff.
Apke took over after the prior coach left ... sorry I am an old guy and my memory is not that great, but one of your guys will likely remember his name. Anyway, Humphries came to CU along with another high school teammate as a consolation prize ... another guy on their hisgh team was taken by Larry Brown at UCLA and he steered these two guys to Colorado because he was a friend of the CU coach at the time. As I recall, the second best guy there while Humphries was playing was the guy who came with him ... about a six seven skinny forward who played in the post a lot. They never had much to work with, but they did beat Duke at CU when Duke's team was starting mostly freshman (those guys went on to an NCAA championship a couple of years later).

Bill Blair was the coach and Vince Kelley (kind of a poor man's Roberson) was the forward he came with from Inglewood HS. I was at that Duke game and got the media guide. I kept it for a long time since it seemed that they were going to be great. It was coach Ks second or third year, I think.

Back