What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO PG Josh Perkins (Verbal to Gonzaga)

I'm probably in the minority here, but I hope he picks UCLA. The battles would have epic hype. I'd love to get our UCLA games on the same level as our Zona games.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I hope he picks UCLA. The battles would have epic hype. I'd love to get our UCLA games on the same level as our Zona games.

I completely agree. I would love to see Perkins and Dom battle it out every year.

Third that! I want every team in the Pac 12 as strong as possible except Oregon (mercenary coach).

UCLA is a big-time bball school in a big-time bball conference. Gonzaga hasn't produced in stud PG NBA players ever, and UCLA has produced a ton.

4 years ago, would you have rooted for him to go to NU or OU in lieu of the Buffs? **** no! You clearly don't take these Pac12 rivalries seriously enough in the long term (and me neither - I need to get there).

4 years ago, would you have rooted for him to go to NU or OU in lieu of the Buffs? **** no! You clearly don't take these Pac12 rivalries seriously enough in the long term (and me neither - I need to get there).

This is the type of thing that could establish the rivalry. CO kid leaves state to go to Cali prep and then signs with UCLA. Meanwhile, the POY in the state he'd been chasing his whole prep career signs with CU. Same conference. Starting PGs. ESPN game of the week material and the Keg would be rocking. UCLA rivalry would be born.

4 years ago, CU wasn't in the same position as they are now. With CU looking to be a tournament team every year, it's in our best interest if the conference as a whole is strong. A strong conference could be the difference between CU making the NCAA's or the NIT on a down year. It could be the difference between CU getting a top 5-6 seed and a 8 seed when CU has a very good year.

We need a very good conference, and hopefully CU to be in the top 2-3, to have better chances of long tournament runs.

Geez, just 5 or 6 years ago, if we Buff fans were talking about long tournament runs it would have been referring to winning the first game of an early season tourney. My, how times have changed.....

Not feeling the "win one for the conference" here. Hope he's a Zag.

You can make the strong conference argument all day, but the fact of the matter is California schools being down is in our interest when it comes to recruiting.

This is the type of thing that could establish the rivalry. CO kid leaves state to go to Cali prep and then signs with UCLA. Meanwhile, the POY in the state he'd been chasing his whole prep career signs with CU. Same conference. Starting PGs. ESPN game of the week material and the Keg would be rocking. UCLA rivalry would be born.

4 years ago, CU wasn't in the same position as they are now. With CU looking to be a tournament team every year, it's in our best interest if the conference as a whole is strong. A strong conference could be the difference between CU making the NCAA's or the NIT on a down year. It could be the difference between CU getting a top 5-6 seed and a 8 seed when CU has a very good year.

We need a very good conference, and hopefully CU to be in the top 2-3, to have better chances of long tournament runs.
I hear you guys, I just have a hard time rooting for my competition to get better. Particularly a team like UCLA with many built in advantages over us (history, local recruiting, etc.).

Not feeling the "win one for the conference" here. Hope he's a Zag.

You can make the strong conference argument all day, but the fact of the matter is California schools being down is in our interest when it comes to recruiting.

I agree with this. Tad seems to understand scheduling to the point I'm really not too worried about SOS going forward. At this point, I think it's in our best interest for the California schools to struggle for the next couple of years while we really establish ourselves as a conference power. The stars are aligning for that and I'd like to see it continue. If we could get to the Sweet 16 even once the next two years, with a round of 32 appearance in the other, I think we'd have the reputation out west to compete with anyone on the recruiting trail.

I agree with this. Tad seems to understand scheduling to the point I'm really not too worried about SOS going forward. At this point, I think it's in our best interest for the California schools to struggle for the next couple of years while we really establish ourselves as a conference power. The stars are aligning for that and I'd like to see it continue. If we could get to the Sweet 16 even once the next two years, with a round of 32 appearance in the other, I think we'd have the reputation out west to compete with anyone on the recruiting trail.

Yup, SOS is fine given our clear OOC strategy. As you mention, it's these next few years especially (we're still very much establishing ourselves) that it's in our interest for California schools to underachieve and have their issues. SC inconsistent (and downright bad at times. We'll see how the big step up in coaching turns out. Worked for us, but we're the lucky ones. Enfield is making an even bigger leap to an unfamiliar region. We'll wait and see), Stanford struggling. UCLA being nowhere near their potential. Montgomery's time at Cal is numbered. It's a good situation for us right now. Maybe UCLA gets an initial Alford bump in the results column, but I'll be pretty surprised if Alford ends up being the long term "answer" UCLA has so long been searching for. Hell, maybe it would even be a good thing for Stanford to sneak into the Dance this year just to keep Dawkins around. Dawkins isn't taking Furd anywhere and isn't a threat, the longer he stays around the better. I'm not saying I want the Pac to be a two bid league, but we've got opportunities in California right now and I want conditions favorable to expand CU hoops even more.

Last edited:
Yup, SOS is fine given our clear OOC strategy. As you mention, it's these next few years especially (we're still very much establishing ourselves) that it's in our interest for California schools to underachieve and have their issues. SC inconsistent (and downright bad at times. We'll see how the big step up in coaching turns out. Worked for us, but we're the lucky ones. Enfield is making an even bigger leap to an unfamiliar region. We'll wait and see), Stanford struggling. UCLA being nowhere near their potential. Montgomery's time at Cal is numbered. It's a good situation for us right now. Maybe UCLA gets an initial Alford bump in the results column, but I'll be pretty surprised if Alford ends up being the long term "answer" UCLA has so long been searching for. Hell, maybe it would even be a good thing for Stanford to sneak into the Dance this year just to keep Dawkins around. Dawkins isn't taking Furd anywhere and isn't a threat, the longer he stays around the better. I'm not saying I want the Pac to be a two bid league, but we've got opportunities in California right now and I want conditions favorable to expand CU hoops even more.

Alford = Leopard won't change his spots anytime soon; a tease, but not the answer, Alford is consistently over-rated because he's a legend in his own mind. Think Indiana doesn't thank their lucky star every day when considering what might have been?

'furd = Hope they don't trade Dawkins for Amaker, who has shown he can recruit excellent players to a strong academic environment and win.

Da Bears = Monty is good, but old school and can only last for so long, shows signs of aging right now.

Enfield shows his recrutiing prowess through his wife, who fits in LA. But he's a rich kid who could get bored easily by high pressure college BB.

Romar at UW remains a serious Cali recruting threat, but his type of player seems at variance from Tad's type; less academic, more " 2 and done-ish".

The impact from the new B-ball player development guy Kearney will be interesting to watch: more easternish national recruiting?

Back