What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO WR Sam Martin (Verbal to Miami, Ohio)

It looks like he has to slow down for the sake of the qb. which is good, because that means with a bigger armed qb, he can keep in stride for deep balls. hopefully he can develop that skill here.

The squad can survive one year without recruiting a WR, we have good balance in numbers spread across the different classes, only 1 senior. Wouldn't mind if we take one WR also. But I have my concerns about the level of competition in the video posted above. Still too early in the evaluation process to get commitments at WR when we have limited scholarships available.

All things considered, this is the most bigbang post ever.....

Reminds me of Eddie McCafferty. :sorry:

Who the hell is Eddie McCafferty?

Would love to see this kid in Boulder. In-state recruit, top level competition, and a possession type receiver is valuable in almost any offense. One who can also stretch the field is even more valuable.

All things considered, this is the most bigbang post ever.....

Who the hell is Eddie McCafferty?

Would love to see this kid in Boulder. In-state recruit, top level competition, and a possession type receiver is valuable in almost any offense. One who can also stretch the field is even more valuable.

I violate the rules of the recruiting thread and I cannot even get the name right for my joke. I'm sorry.

I do really think this kids could bring what we need though. I like what i see in the video and I think he would work great in MikeMac's offense.

'14 CO WR Sam Martin

He doesn't look that special to me. His whole film is just go routes. To early to offer.

Re: '14 CO WR Sam Martin

He doesn't look that special to me. His whole film is just go routes. To early to offer.

However, it's not too early to learn the difference between to, too, and two.

I like getting legacy players who really want to attend and are deserving of an offer. His size and speed seem to fit the bill, and I'd be fine with us offering.

Consider what you put into a highlight reel, though. Martin caught like 75 passes last season. Our coaches are reviewing game film, not highlights.

'14 CO WR Sam Martin

Consider what you put into a highlight reel, though. Martin caught like 75 passes last season. Our coaches are reviewing game film, not highlights.

Fair enough. 75 catches is a lot for high school ball, so I guess he has solid hands. I like his film don't get me wrong, but if he really wants to be a buff, we can hold out for a while.

Fair enough. 75 catches is a lot for high school ball, so I guess he has solid hands. I like his film don't get me wrong, but if he really wants to be a buff, we can hold out for a while.

Why? Are we going to have to borrow money to make the offer and you want to avoid paying interest for a while?

My son (a Junior near Boulder) knows Sam and grew up playing hoops with him. Sam is a stud athlete. Not sure he has enough speed to be D1 (not sure either way). Definitely a very good athlete, good hands, and good at everything he does. Will be interesting what happens.

I'm sure he will camp at CU and they will know one way or the other, without question.

I could see MacIntyre taking more of a reach on a prospect like Martin in this class... just to prove he is serious about in-state recruiting... especially with a Buff legacy and Boulder product

Offer him. Put Colorado kids on notice that we are serious about home state talent. We need that talent to look at CU first.

Re: '14 CO WR Sam Martin

My son (a Junior near Boulder) knows Sam and grew up playing hoops with him. Sam is a stud athlete. Not sure he has enough speed to be D1 (not sure either way). Definitely a very good athlete, good hands, and good at everything he does. Will be interesting what happens.

I'm sure he will camp at CU and they will know one way or the other, without question.

So the 4.5 speed might not be legit? Has he done any camps?

Fairview is NOT a pass happy team. While I'm certain this fellow bemoans the fact that he is not attending The Boulder High School, if he can catch 75 balls at Fairview, he's accomplished something nonetheless.

Fairview is NOT a pass happy team. While I'm certain this fellow bemoans the fact that he is not attending The Boulder High School, if he can catch 75 balls at Fairview, he's accomplished something nonetheless.

"not attending The Boulder High School"? I guess that means he doesn't have to puke every morning after looking up at Minnie and Jake!

Actually, just about all Fairview does is throw. Coach Mac has totally tailored the offense around Sam and Anders Hill. They actually use a bunch of swing passes, flares and screens as their run game. I don't know how fast Sam is but he is the fastest kid on the field in just about every game I've seen.

So the 4.5 speed might not be legit? Has he done any camps?

Just to be clear, he might be fast enough. Hard to tell against Colorado kids. And an 40 time posted is suspect until we see it in print from a camp or another event that is using electronic timing.

I think Sam has everything else to be successful, if he has the speed/moves to play WR at a D1 level. Very hard to tell given there is rarely a D1 defensive back to measure oneself against.

Sam will have a chance to camp I'm sure and that's where he will be thoroughly evaluated.

I could see MacIntyre taking more of a reach on a prospect like Martin in this class... just to prove he is serious about in-state recruiting... especially with a Buff legacy and Boulder product

I don't get these types of comments. We need to get the best kids we can get, whether from Timbuktu or otherwise. I'll give the local kid the tiebreaker, but you can't offer kids because they are from Colorado, if our goal is to get better.

I don't get these types of comments. We need to get the best kids we can get, whether from Timbuktu or otherwise. I'll give the local kid the tiebreaker, but you can't offer kids because they are from Colorado, if our goal is to get better.

Just my $0.02 here. The quickest way to rebuild recruiting will be to re-establish a foothold in-state. In a game of resources, you've got the best chance at getting early commitments from in-state kids, and with the current state of the program, our best shot at locking down 4* talent is probably in-state as well. I think slider's point is that you might offer a couple of kids earlier than normal to lock them up in an effort to rebuild the reputation in-state. That's reasonable, in my opinion, as long as it's limited and doesn't become a long-term strategy.

Just my $0.02 here. The quickest way to rebuild recruiting will be to re-establish a foothold in-state. In a game of resources, you've got the best chance at getting early commitments from in-state kids, and with the current state of the program, our best shot at locking down 4* talent is probably in-state as well. I think slider's point is that you might offer a couple of kids earlier than normal to lock them up in an effort to rebuild the reputation in-state. That's reasonable, in my opinion, as long as it's limited and doesn't become a long-term strategy.

One would think you have a better chance at getting commits from instate kids, but that hasn't been the case. It's not the case in Arizona or Washington either. These states have a lot in common including that most of the kids are transplants (or their parents are) and they are just generally "mobile". See the world!

Combine that fact with the fact that few kids are D1 here, and it's not the answer. The answer is to sign every deserving kid you can from Colorado and anywhere else. If you got 22 scholarships, fill them with the best 22 guys. If you start taking a Colorado kid over a better Texas kid, you will not help the program in the short term or long run. Use that as a tie-breaker!

Likely camping with us this weekend. With really low scholarship numbers (possibly only one WR), not sure we end iup offering.

He should easily be able to get scholly offers from D2, FCS, and even some lower level BCS level schools like MWCs. That said if he wants to play in a major conference and the numbers don't work out would he be interested in a PWO opportunity. It is hard to turn down a paid education, even if it is at a lower level but he lives close enough to school that he wouldn't have to live in the dorms and could continue to live at home cutting the cost by a bunch.

Fairview won state 7v7 yesterday and will travel back east for nationals. Beat Legacy.

No offer from CU

Martin is going off in Fairview's opener against Poudre. Eight catches, 118 yards and two scores with 7 left in the first half.

My son who knows him pretty well tells me Sam has a 36" vertical. However, I still think he's more of a PWO candidate for a big 5 conference. We'll see. Been wrong many times before and I've never actually seen Sam play in person, just those films. I've seen him play other sports and I don't recall that Vert.

Fairview is going to be pretty good on offense this year. Expect the QB to start getting some D1 interest - do you think Kyle?

Just back from the Fairview game. They won 58-7. Martin had nice moves and speed when he caught the ball in the open and also had two very nice precision catches for touchdown.

Back