What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO WR Sam Martin (Verbal to Miami, Ohio)

Didn't get a chance to catch Fairview tonight, but talked to my buddy who covered it. He says Anders Hill is listed at 6-4, 215 pounds, but will need to put on some weight to make it D1. 20-29, 269 yards and four touchdowns. He'll have a huge year with all the receivers the Knights have.

Just not sure an offer suddenly makes more sense now than it did six months ago.

I'd rather that Coach Mac offers both Hill and Martin a preferred walk on position with the incentive of earning a scholarship through hard work and consistent play. I think they would make great additions to our team.

Pwo but it seems like we pissed him off. And to Duff... going like 0-10 on our WR recruits makes everyone desperate

Just not sure an offer suddenly makes more sense now than it did six months ago.

I'm getting influenced a bit by basketball, where it has become questionable that we went with Eli Stalzer while letting Wyoming snag Riley Grabau out of Boulder High.

That's why I'm warming to it. If we're not in on elite athletes, then I favor the local guy.

I know I'm just some guy behind a keyboard, but he looks pretty good to me. 4.5 40 at that size? Dang.

Is it racist to suspect that if Martin had a little more melanin in his skin that he'd have a better offer list? :-\

I have watched Sam and Anders in person, and in my opinion I believe that they are both worth offers. I especially like Anders.

I know I'm just some guy behind a keyboard, but he looks pretty good to me. 4.5 40 at that size? Dang.

Is it racist to suspect that if Martin had a little more melanin in his skin that he'd have a better offer list? :-\

You never know the full story but unless something very strange is happening here this is the kind of kid I would hope to see as a PWO, not a scholly for a team the has way to many needs to be taking chances on kids who other schools aren't willing to.

The fact that he doesn't have the other offers is big. Somtimes a kid will go without other offers for certain reasons. One is if he has made it clear that he is set on and only interested in one school, not the case here. Another is if the kid is choosing to freeze out the services and not report, this is possible but there is no indication that is the case. The third is if a kid is coming off an injury or plays someplace that gets overlooked by schools and their coaches, again we know that this isn't the case, he has played all year and Boulder isn't exactly some backwater, he has been seen.

You can criticize just about every coach for the kids in their backyards that they have missed but it's pretty rare that they all miss. Sam may very well be one of the kids who proves the coaches wrong. He is a big kid who looks good in the highlights. At the same time when he doesn't have offers from any of the area D1 schools then you do have to wonder.

I'd love to have him walk-on and prove the coaches wrong.

I would like to see him go contribute for NDSU if he isnt getting any looks from Colorado, CSU, or Wyoming. They need a big red zone threat.

I'm with BigBuffs. They both look to me like they could contribute to this team.

Of course, I thought the kid that walked on this year from Rifle was going to be all PAC 12 as a freshman so...

He's talking about Ryan Moeller, who could end up being a player for us.

The walk on from 2013 I'm most excited about, though, is Robert Orban from Regis. I think he's going to be a very good TE for us down the line.

FWIW 129 yards and a TD vs Valor and Marcus Wilson, Eric Lee, and Brian Dawkins Jr

Watched the game and was very impressed with this kid. We should be offering him a scholly IMO.

Funny, I was at the game and it changed my perception of him in the other direction. When you see him next to McCaffery, you start to see the difference between a nice player and a really good player. He is good, no doubt about that, but we need to aim higher. Seeing the two of them on the same field moved him from a sure thing to more of a fall back plan for me.

No doubt McCaffery would have been a huge get. I'm sure MM gave it his best to get him, but Christian was a Stanford lock from day one as far as I could tell. I believe that we should generally be aiming higher, but given where we are at (especially at the WR position) I think Martin is a worth an offer. Also, keep in mind that Martin was matched up in that game mostly with Eric Lee who is a top CO recruit for the class of 2015.

For those who were there, it seemed like the game got out of hand pretty early and Valor really stifled Fairview's offense. Was this a case of a kid putting up "meaningless stats" on the wrong side of a blowout loss, or did Martin rack up his numbers while the game was still competitive?

Watched the game and was very impressed with this kid. We should be offering him a scholly IMO.

Funny, I was at the game and it changed my perception of him in the other direction. When you see him next to McCaffery, you start to see the difference between a nice player and a really good player. He is good, no doubt about that, but we need to aim higher. Seeing the two of them on the same field moved him from a sure thing to more of a fall back plan for me.

This is a tough one for me. I've known Sam as an opposing coach since about 6th grade and he is a hell of an athlete.
There is no question that he is fast, and has great hands, and is just a phenomenal athlete.
Does he have the explosiveness that we lack? I'd say no. But he's quick, like Spruce is quick.
I think he's polished and would be ready to compete at CU. He had a boat load of catches.

I see a lot of Eric Decker in him. Is Decker as explosive as a lot of WR's not competing at his level? All he does is get open, and get to where Peyton expects him to be. And catch the ball.

Tough call. I'd be fine either way. He's not as explosive as Kenny Bell was. But a better blocker already.

For those who were there, it seemed like the game got out of hand pretty early and Valor really stifled Fairview's offense. this was a case of a kid putting up "meaningless stats" on the wrong side of a blowout loss, or did Martin rack up his numbers while the game was still competitive?
but, like Holic, I could go either way on this kid. Looks like a gym rat, seems like a good kid, in state recruit (have to start somewhere), does seem to block well and get open. Was not really his fault - Their OL could not keep the Fairview QB off his back - that poor kid (QB) had a terrible game due to Valor's defense.

Would not be a wasted scholarship IMO...

I really like this kid. Some kids are fast and still drop balls when they are wide open. He is tall enough, catches the ball really well even with someone in his face, and makes those nice little moves that don't look like much, but gets him out of a tackle and down the field another 5, 10, or more yards. A possession receiver? Maybe......but I can see a lot of Deckers style in Sam. I hope we offer.

I really like this kid. Some kids are fast and still drop balls when they are wide open. He is tall enough, catches the ball really well even with someone in his face, and makes those nice little moves that don't look like much, but gets him out of a tackle and down the field another 5, 10, or more yards. A possession receiver? Maybe......but I can see a lot of Deckers style in Sam. I hope we offer.

We have a lot of possession receivers on the roster. CU has got to start recruiting game changers. After saying that won't mind if he agrees to walk on and earn a scholarship with his play on the field.

Last edited:

I disagree. McCaffery in definitely in a league of his own but I thought Martin played well against a team of Mercenaries. There is no reason Valor should even be playing in that game or in a public school league. That being said if Martin adds 10 to 15 lbs. he may be just what the Buffs need.

Reactions: aik
Back