What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TNFR OT Shane Callahan (Signed to Colorado)

i understand and agree to a point that cohesion and continuity is important on an o-line, but true talent; speed, strength, coordination and toughness, can overcome a lack of continuity. If these guys are better than they were or better than their predecessors then it will become obvious quickly.

A good coaching staff will also know where they are in terms of that continuity and plan accordingly.

Even though it was in a completely different program the practice time that Calahan got against that defense and the playing time he got will make it a lot easier for him to adjust and contribute. The decision on his eligibility is a huge one for us.

A good coaching staff will also know where they are in terms of that continuity and plan accordingly.

Even though it was in a completely different program the practice time that Calahan got against that defense and the playing time he got will make it a lot easier for him to adjust and contribute. The decision on his eligibility is a huge one for us.
Could not agree more with this statement. The LT is one of the most important players in all of football and happens to currently one of our biggest weaknesses. Callahan has the potential to convert a major weakness into a strength.

Could not agree more with this statement. The LT is one of the most important players in all of football and happens to currently one of our biggest weaknesses. Callahan has the potential to convert a major weakness into a strength.

With a guy who has a high probability of being a 3 year starter at the position for us.

That may be true, but Callahan's talent is heads and shoulders above those who are currently playing LT. So it would be an instant upgrade, no matter the cohesion.

Certainly not arguing the talent upgrade. I just don't see this as a reason to believe we'll be bowl eligible this year as some have said. Oline will have growing pains this year regardless.

those pains will be shorter and shallower if the guys are more talented. Small mistakes get magnified on the oline when the guys aren't fast/strong. Big mistakes can be overcome quickly with a more talented group.

That may be true, but Callahan's talent is heads and shoulders above those who are currently playing LT. So it would be an instant upgrade, no matter the cohesion.

With a guy who has a high probability of being a 3 year starter at the position for us.

Getting ahead of ourselves again I see. We don't know much at this point. Yes he was highly recruited.
Remember, the guy you are assuming he is head and shoulders above is Mustoe, who had offers from UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Utah and 4-5 other P5 offers. Not to mention an extra year of CFB and a full 18 months in Bernardi's system.

While I think we need more depth and Seasoned guys competing, and my expectation is that Callahan is likely an upgrade because we know that Mustoe has struggled to break thru, we in fact, know very little about this other than what Maximus would tell us and he's less than objective about "his guys".

I'm excited as hell to have him in the mix hopefully in a few weeks, but I'm not ready to name him an upgrade until he shows it on the field.

Last edited:
Getting ahead of ourselves again I see. We don't know much at this point. Yes he was highly recruited.
Remember, the guy you are assuming he is head and shoulders above is Mustoe, who had offers from UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Utah and 4-5 other P5 offers. Not to mention an extra year of CFB and a full 18 months in Bernardi's system.

While I think we need more depth and Seasoned guys competing, and my expectation is that Callahan is likely an upgrade because we know that Mustoe has struggled to break thru, we in fact, know very little about this other than what Maximus would tell us and he's less than objective about "his guys".

I'm excited as hell to have him in the mix hopefully in a few weeks, but I'm not ready to name him an upgrade until he shows it on the field.

I've probably been more optimistic about Mustoe than most here and you are correct in that he was a legit recruit. Unfortunately we have yet to see him play for us. What we have seen is him dealing with health problems that have gotten in the way of him building weight and strength.

If Mustoe can come in this fall and compete for the starting LT job I will be very happy, I'm just not counting on it yet. My hope for him is that he can finally come in healthy and get a chance to work on getting back to where he should be.

If he can even compete that will mean that if Calahan is eligible we have 3 guys competing for the tackle spots with Nembott, a depth situation we haven't seen for a long time.

I do give Calahan a more optimistic look based on the fact that he has been competing and even seen some playing time in a program that is way ahead of us in terms of talent.

Mustoe has been healthy for some time. He's fallen short so far of the promise that his recruit ranking suggested (so far).

I"m just suggesting that with any transfer, let's not assume he's "Head and Shoulders" above anyone based on these rankings. We know they sometimes mislead us.

I personally think Callahan will be awesome, but again, I want to see it and until then he ain't head and shoulders above anything we already got.

Mustoe has been healthy for some time. He's fallen short so far of the promise that his recruit ranking suggested (so far).

I"m just suggesting that with any transfer, let's not assume he's "Head and Shoulders" above anyone based on these rankings. We know they sometimes mislead us.

I personally think Callahan will be awesome, but again, I want to see it and until then he ain't head and shoulders above anything we already got.

Incorrect! Mustoe broke his lower leg and was limited all spring in the amount and type of lifting and training he could do. HCMM said in general his OL guys needed greater leg strength; yet Mustoe wasn't "healthy" enough to do even basic leg and core strength training which as you know, involves lifting huge amounts of iron.

Incorrect! Mustoe broke his lower leg and was limited all spring in the amount and type of lifting and training he could do. HCMM said in general his OL guys needed greater leg strength; yet Mustoe wasn't "healthy" enough to do even basic leg and core strength training which as you know, involves lifting huge amounts of iron.

I was referring more to the 2 years he had on campus without us getting a whisper that he was pushing anyone, including Nembot - before the broken leg last September.

He broke the leg on Oct 19 vs. Charleston Southern. The spring game was May 3rd, so about 6.5 months later.

For comparison, Daniel Munyer broke his fibula on March 21 and started all 12 games, starting with CSU on Sept 1, less than 5.5 months later.

I'm not suggesting we compare healing times or anything else. Hopefully Mustoe will be more ready this fall and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's been in a situation to earn early PT and he hasn't been able to do that - but I wouldn't write him off.

To my original point, we have no idea where Callahan is in terms of how he will compete.

I was referring more to the 2 years he had on campus without us getting a whisper that he was pushing anyone, including Nembot - before the broken leg last September.

He broke the leg on Oct 19 vs. Charleston Southern. The spring game was May 3rd, so about 6.5 months later.

For comparison, Daniel Munyer broke his fibula on March 21 and started all 12 games, starting with CSU on Sept 1, less than 5.5 months later.

I'm not suggesting we compare healing times or anything else. Hopefully Mustoe will be more ready this fall and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's been in a situation to earn early PT and he hasn't been able to do that - but I wouldn't write him off.

To my original point, we have no idea where Callahan is in terms of how he will compete.

Mustoe also had a health issue his first year on campus. They never disclosed exactly what it was and if probably isn't our business but what did come out indicated that it kept him from building and maintaining weight. Coming into last year he was lighter than he had been expected to be at that stage of his career.

I hope that he can put all the health issues behind him and eventually perform to the expectations people had for him coming out of HS but with what we do/ and don't know at this point I would expect Callahan to be well ahead of him at this point.

I'm very confident if Callahan is eligible, he will be the starter in game 1. I don't have any doubt, actually. Mustoe would have to of made a full turn around.

I know we are in the dark about the NCAA ruling, but is Callahan eligible to participate in fall camp prior to their decision?

I know we are in the dark about the NCAA ruling, but is Callahan eligible to participate in fall camp prior to their decision?

I think so, eligibility for SC would relate to whether he could play or if he would have to RS this year.

Sure. A transfer who is ineligible to play is still able to do everything else like practice. No different than a freshman who redshirts.

Mustoe also had a health issue his first year on campus. They never disclosed exactly what it was and if probably isn't our business but what did come out indicated that it kept him from building and maintaining weight. Coming into last year he was lighter than he had been expected to be at that stage of his career.

I hope that he can put all the health issues behind him and eventually perform to the expectations people had for him coming out of HS but with what we do/ and don't know at this point I would expect Callahan to be well ahead of him at this point.

He was still light in the spring. I honestly don't know if he will ever meet our expectations and now we are putting expectations on Shane Callahan before he's done anything.

:drunk::thumbsup2::rock3::dance4::dance2::dance::rock::five::bounce::cheers::slayer::thumbsup::nod:

Finally, a reason to lay out the emoticons en masse.

That could be a huge difference this fall. So nice to see one of these finally go our way!

It is clear that the NCAA is a fair and just organization looking out for the best interest of the student athlete.

Back