What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Steven Montez (Signed to COLORADO)

Welcome! Glad to see us get a high upside guy to get our QB situation squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally don't watch film on a kid until he commits. But I like Montez. Quick delivery, Nice touch and moves well. Apsay, from what I recall of his film, probably had a touch quicker release and was pretty damned accurate, so I like the last two QB pick ups. Good job by the staff IMO.

Nice, glad we landed a guy with upside. El Paso got a bad rep when I lived down there about not having much talent. I don't know if that's changed, I don't follow Texas football as much as I used to. There is talent there, they have so many freaking schools, it's spread out through districts. Like this guy, he'll be a good one.

great pick up. This guy looks to have the tools and I expect that he and Aspay will get some time to develop behind Sefo in the depth chart.

Welcome young Buff!!!

When I look at what this staff did with Fales, I have supreme confidence in their ability to ID and develop under the radar players.

Awesome to have another commit. Welcome young man to the Buffs. It will be great to see you in black and gold.

Welcome young Buff!!!

When I look at what this staff did with Fales, I have supreme confidence in their ability to ID and develop under the radar players.

I really have to agree with myself...er...BC90Rules :lol:

Alfred Montez is Del Valle's QB coach. Steven has a younger brother, I hear he's pretty good already (eighth grade this fall).

According to Rivals he hasn't been evaluated in person in over a year

Actually, I'll got out on a limb and state they've never done a proper evaluation of him. The rivals guy said it's been over a year and he just remembered him being tall. He didn't say he visited his High School, etc. I'd be surprised if they've evaluated him EVER.

Come on 'tini, according to snow you're not allowed to offer reasons for him being under the radar on his recruitment page.
:lol: so true (though he may have been telling me stop before it became one of those pissing matches)

Actually, I'll got out on a limb and state they've never done a proper evaluation of him. The rivals guy said it's been over a year and he just remembered him being tall. He didn't say he visited his High School, etc. I'd be surprised if they've evaluated him EVER.

I can certainly see that as being very possible. Hopefully the guys value Adam's input and bump him up.

Interview with Steven Montez's high school coach Jesse Perales if you have a subscription. Story ... Perales was teammates and roommates with Alfred Montez at Western New Mexico. They're still "best of friends."

Montez went to a Rivals camp last summer in Phoenix, but it sounds like he didn't get much attention. He also camped at Elite 11 this summer and fared well, but his coach said nobody knew who he was. I know people are probably tired of the "CU recruited an under-the-radar gem" schtick, but it seems true in this case. We'll see.

I am not at all concerned how Rivals rates him. It does not matter.

it matters in terms of program perception. Recruiting a 4* QB might help bring in a highly rated WR or TE that we would have a hard time landing. Otherwise, it's irrelevant.

it matters in terms of program perception. Recruiting a 4* QB might help bring in a highly rated WR or TE that we would have a hard time landing. Otherwise, it's irrelevant.

Yep. He is not going to be a 4* or a high 3* so who really cares.

My guess 5.6, maybe 5.7rr. Although it will come down to Howell who insisted Rodriguez was a 5.4rr.

From phone

Back