What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CO PF Dallas Walton (Signed to COLORADO)

7' 240 lbs... Ya think?

Was it the knee that kept other schools away? Seems incredible that a kid with those measurable a would slip through the cracks the way he did.

Didnt get to play really at all his junior year so that hurt. But 2 acl tears kept a lot of teams away I would imagine.

FWIW, they said he may not red shirt and could see some playing time, it's going to depend on who else is signed with the 2 open schollies. He has been working out everyday though attempting to add strength/weight but 225 is still accurate for his weight with a goal of 240.

Perhaps most important, the doctors told him his bum knee is actually in better shape than the other and it is all mental that he has to work through there.

Yeah. We shouldn't write off a 7-footer being able to give value as part of the rotation. Even if his offense is a work in progress, what he might bring as a rebounder and rim protector as well as a man defender against certain matchups could make a difference next season.

How's his bone structure?
1iG03O6.gif

Yeah. We shouldn't write off a 7-footer being able to give value as part of the rotation. Even if his offense is a work in progress, what he might bring as a rebounder and rim protector as well as a man defender against certain matchups could make a difference next season.

He has little experience going against players his size. I would hate to see him burn a year of eligibility for 5-10 mpg getting an education he could get by going against Wes & Tory.

Didnt get to play really at all his junior year so that hurt. But 2 acl tears kept a lot of teams away I would imagine.

Missed last part of Soph season and all of Jr. year plus all the associated AAU time. Schools just didn't have any film on him and nobody got to see him play. Also easy to get scared away by a big guy with multiple knee injuries.

Missed last part of Soph season and all of Jr. year plus all the associated AAU time. Schools just didn't have any film on him and nobody got to see him play. Also easy to get scared away by a big guy with multiple knee injuries.

Additionally, he great from 6'9" to 7'0" while injured. A 6'9" guy with 2 knee injuries isn't going to be on your recruiting board so I'd guess that he just wan't on the radar of most programs to see how his rehab was progressing. Good example of the types of opportunities that can open to you with in-state recruits that you'd otherwise miss. If Dallas Walton lived in Oregon there is no way that CU would have been aware and active in this recruitment.

Watched his highlights. If he can stay healthy, he is a steal. Great pick up

I watched his highlights and saw a guy who's a major project. Can only score over his left shoulder, doesn't move well without the ball, and isn't a great rebounder. Hopefully he keeps developing.

I watched his highlights and saw a guy who's a major project. Can only score over his left shoulder, doesn't move well without the ball, and isn't a great rebounder. Hopefully he keeps developing.

Agreed - think you, me and a handful of others are on this page, while many others are much higher on him. However, I think all the tools are there for the project to be successful. I think he moves better than you probably do, and I think his stroke has smooth form. I like him...but yeah, agreed, definitely a major project - worth taking though I only.

Agreed - think you, me and a handful of others are on this page, while many others are much higher on him. However, I think all the tools are there for the project to be successful. I think he moves better than you probably do, and I think his stroke has smooth form. I like him...but yeah, agreed, definitely a major project - worth taking though I only.

He's very athletic and highly coordinated going both ways. It is obvious though that he hasn't played much basketball in the past couple years and hasn't learned how to use his height.

I think though that he will learn and adjust very quickly. This isn't a big kid working at the edge of his athletic ability just to do basic basketball moves like a lot of big guys are.

Looks like he can do a bit more...

He looks like a solid athlete with a decent touch to me. There are hs 7'-0" players that have height and not much else. He has the athleticism to play at the college level. He doesn't look like Josh Scott, who spoiled us, but he could develop into that type of a player.

Looks like he can do a bit more...

That video of him screams redshirt. I hate to be Debbie Downer but I'm just tempering expectations. I'm rooting for the kid but I think it'll be a massive coaching success if he ever averages 10 and 5. And no, he isn't VERY athletic as some have said. He's a marginal athlete coming off of two major knee surgeries. You want to see an athletic 7 footer? Take a look at Thon Maker.

That video of him screams redshirt. I hate to be Debbie Downer but I'm just tempering expectations. I'm rooting for the kid but I think it'll be a massive coaching success if he ever averages 10 and 5. And no, he isn't VERY athletic as some have said. He's a marginal athlete coming off of two major knee surgeries. You want to see an athletic 7 footer? Take a look at Thon Maker.

Dude...

You're comparing him to a kid a year older who also will be a top 10 pick this year if his cases holds up. We don't need Walton to be an all American, nor do I think people expect him to be. The biggest difference he can make is on the defensive end blocking shots and getting rebounds. Especially early in his career. The game is changing but there have been plenty of far less althethic 7 footers with less basketball skills that have gotten substantial minutes for big programs

A seven footer in the lane changes how teams play offense against you. I doubt we will be asking him for Jelly type production. The offense doesn't go through him. If he can get a few rebounds, block or alter a few shots, and keep defenses honest around the rim, he will be doing what is expected of him.

Welcome D Dub!!!

I see Walton in those highlights playing on a gimpy leg. It looks like he jumps well though. Put about 35 pounds on Walton and he'll be tough to score on.

News flash for you: Outside of the blue chippers, most bigs with his size are projects, even without the injury history Walton has. Going over this thread nobody is really saying he is going to be a big contributor overnight. A redshirt is likely.

Additionally, he great from 6'9" to 7'0" while injured. A 6'9" guy with 2 knee injuries isn't going to be on your recruiting board so I'd guess that he just wan't on the radar of most programs to see how his rehab was progressing. Good example of the types of opportunities that can open to you with in-state recruits that you'd otherwise miss. If Dallas Walton lived in Oregon there is no way that CU would have been aware and active in this recruitment.

Redshirt, get him in the weight room and training table, and let's see how he does. Hopefully he can put on weight quicker than Mills could.

Again, I actually agree with your ultimate point, but as others have stated, Walton has a lot of tools to build upon. He is not starting from scratch. Your comparison to Thon Maker reminds me of a debate I had in another thread about Deron Davis. I think Davis is very athletic, and the other guy countered with Harry Giles. We need to have more realistic expectations when depreciating the talent of our players. Walton has talent...but yes, I do think he's going to be a project like you. However, if he lives to be a taller Miles Plumlee instead of Thon Maker (projecting Thon to become really good), I'll be happy.

Thanks for informing us on what an athletic 7 footer looks like. No one here has ever watched the NBA before. Please, educate us more.

You're judging his athleticism while also acknowledging that he's coming off 2 knee surgeries. It's clear to everyone but you that he isn't 100% fit in those videos.

Thanks for informing us on what an athletic 7 footer looks like. No one here has ever watched the NBA before. Please, educate us more.

You're judging his athleticism while also acknowledging that he's coming off 2 knee surgeries. It's clear to everyone but you that he isn't 100% fit in those videos.

I'm judging his athletic ceiling precisely because he's had 2 major knee surgeries. You also can't claim he's "very athletic" when there are clear examples of what that standard is. Again, I hope he continues to recover and develop. I just think we have to have reasonable expectations. A redshirt seems like a no-brainer and we'll see where he's at in two years. In the meantime, we need to find another big for immediate depth.

You're comparing him to a kid a year older who also will be a top 10 pick this year if his cases holds up. We don't need Walton to be an all American, nor do I think people expect him to be. The biggest difference he can make is on the defensive end blocking shots and getting rebounds. Especially early in his career. The game is changing but there have been plenty of far less althethic 7 footers with less basketball skills that have gotten substantial minutes for big programs

Fair point and I think those are reasonable expectations.

I'm judging his athletic ceiling precisely because he's had 2 major knee surgeries. You also can't claim he's "very athletic" when there are clear examples of what that standard is. Again, I hope he continues to recover and develop. I just think we have to have reasonable expectations. A redshirt seems like a no-brainer and we'll see where he's at in two years. In the meantime, we need to find another big for immediate depth.

I never said he's "very athletic" so you need to find another straw man. Also, athleticism is a very relative term. Some don't even think Thon is "very athletic." A lot of NBA scouts don't seem him as being a lottery pick.

You don't know what the standard is because you used Thon as the standard & the people who get paid to do this see him as an average athlete. You used a bad example for a bad argument that is completely unrealistic to any topic regarding DW.

CU is still in the NCAA and not the NBA, right?

Because I'm looking for a C who has the athleticism to deal with a Thomas Welsh, a Nikola Jovanovic, a Josh Sharma while being able to stay with a Jordan Bell, a Malik Dime. Not sure what others consider adequate athleticism for a CU Buff center.

Methinks Jonathan Givony will be out of a job in a couple years.

Draftexpress is great, and all that Givony is doing is reporting what other scouts have told him.

However, I am surprised that it looks like more than a few scouts are so critical of Maker. I think he is a great athlete for a 7 footer, and I would definitely take him in the first round 20+. I do agree that talk of him as top 10 didn't seem founded, but I think Maker is solid and has lots of potential. Of course, this is going off of highlight reels as opposed to watching him live in practice. Very surprising to read personally. I take Draftexpress at their word.

Yeah I don't know what the hell Givony is talking about with regards to Maker's athleticism. There aren't a lot of 7-footers who can run, jump, and dribble like that guy can. And for every one TDX quote questioning his athleticism, I can find five stating just the opposite.

Back