What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CA C Riley Battin (Verbal to Utah)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247sports

V0013001533--766632.JPG

Oak Park HS (Oak Park, CA)

AAU: Earl Watson Elite

Twitter: https://twitter.com/battin_riley

Ht: 6'9"
Wt: 235

Rivals rating: 3*; unranked C
Scout rating: 3*; unranked C
ESPN rating: 4*-82 grade; #16 C
247s rating: 3*-89 grade; #10 C (#135 overall)

Reported Offers: COLORADO, American, Bucknell, Cal Poly, Davidson, Georgia Tech, Grand Canyon, Loyola Marymount, Northwestern, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose State, UCSB, Utah, Utah State, Vanderbilt, Wichita State, Yale

Bill Grier and Evan Battey following.

At this point, he’s developed especially good relationships with a handful of coaches.

“I have a really good relationship with Bob McKillup from Davidson, Coach K (Larry Krystkowiak) from Utah, I talk to coach (Tad) Boyle a lot, coach (Bryce) Drew from Vanderbilt and coach (Chris) Collins from Northwestern,” Battin said.

Today from Scout's Josh Gershon

3 level scorer with vision. I like how Grier has seemingly emphasized skill & versatility in recruiting bigs. Sure, they're a lot easier to find now than 5 years ago but, I'm not convinced that Tad would've had much interest in Siewert or Battin.

Still, a rim-protecting big is an absolute must-have this cycle. I like DW a lot but its a risky proposition for him to be our only rim-protector.

3 level scorer with vision. I like how Grier has seemingly emphasized skill & versatility in recruiting bigs. Sure, they're a lot easier to find now than 5 years ago but, I'm not convinced that Tad would've had much interest in Siewert or Battin.

Still, a rim-protecting big is an absolute must-have this cycle. I like DW a lot but its a risky proposition for him to be our only rim-protector.

I like this kid a lot too. The other big we seem to be pursuing and still in the game for, Conditt, is taller and may be the rim protector you want. But I'd take Battin everyday as the priority recruit. The competition seems like it could be better, but still, the fluidity to his offensive game is clear. This kid has skill - love to see him as a Buff. Impressive offensive tape.

http://endlessmotor.net/2016/07/12/getting-to-know-riley-battin/

I like this kid a lot too. The other big we seem to be pursuing and still in the game for, Conditt, is taller and may be the rim protector you want. But I'd take Battin everyday as the priority recruit. The competition seems like it could be better, but still, the fluidity to his offensive game is clear. This kid has skill - love to see him as a Buff. Impressive offensive tape.

http://endlessmotor.net/2016/07/12/getting-to-know-riley-battin/
Yeah. I was pretty impressed with his footwork on that deep repertoire of moves & counter moves. Very skilled in the post. Harder and harder to find these days.

Yeah. I was pretty impressed with his footwork on that deep repertoire of moves & counter moves. Very skilled in the post. Harder and harder to find these days.

Yeah - agree, his footwork was very impressive. But just everything about him on offense was impressive - shot (form and getting it out) were decent, handles for a big were decent, some passes were impressive, etc. I guess the only knock on the highlight reel, which really isn't one but trying to find something to complain about, is that he doesn't have a lot of bounce. The lack of defensive highlights make me think there aren't a lot to show, but he did put up some impressive rebounding numbers. He is a thick kid too, so I'm inclined to think he's not afraid of mixing it up inside. I definitely hope Tad gets this kid over Conditt (not that I think Conditt sucks). Good find man.

He plays against lower level competition in HS. He is a very good HS player, but I do not see Major D1 level success for him. I wish him the best yet hope Tad looks elsewhere.

Agree to disagree I guess. Yes, the level of competition does seem subpar, but I think many of his skills translate at higher levels. It's not like he's just using his size to lazily overpower guys. He can shoot (shot gets out decently...it's not slow), he is coordinated, he has decent size, nice footwork, etc. I hope Tad stays on this kid and lands him.

I will put in another way... If he were to enroll at Taft HS, 20 miles away in the San Fernando Valley, he would be coming off the bench. 13ppg at a lower level division school vs. lower level competition is not impressive and his defense is sub par. I have no dog in the race here and I don't wish a negative career for any player. I simply want what is best for CU and this young man has not shown, to date, the skill set to be a PAC12 player who can make an impact.

Nik - regarding Pangos, anybody can attend that camp if you pay the $. Only the high level players play against each other, even at those camps. Dinos and staff divide players by skill set and if you are a B or C level player, your highlights will come from playing against other B or C level players in that camp. It can be kind of misleading to see video highlights from those camps if you do not know where the player is seated and the competition he is playing against. It could very well be against other players who's parents have dollars to send them there. Most of the top players are comped and the privileged kids play at a lower level in the camp.

I will put in another way... If he were to enroll at Taft HS, 20 miles away in the San Fernando Valley, he would be coming off the bench. 13ppg at a lower level division school vs. lower level competition is not impressive and his defense is sub par. I have no dog in the race here and I don't wish a negative career for any player. I simply want what is best for CU and this young man has not shown, to date, the skill set to be a PAC12 player who can make an impact.

Nik - regarding Pangos, anybody can attend that camp if you pay the $. Only the high level players play against each other, even at those camps. Dinos and staff divide players by skill set and if you are a B or C level player, your highlights will come from playing against other B or C level players in that camp. It can be kind of misleading to see video highlights from those camps if you do not know where the player is seated and the competition he is playing against. It could very well be against other players who's parents have dollars to send them there. Most of the top players are comped and the privileged kids play at a lower level in the camp.
He'd start for Taft, no doubt. He'd be their best front court player next season.

Uhmmm, No. Antwan January is a Major D1 prospect and top PF/C returning in the City Section. He is 6' 10 and will be a junior.

I'll trust Gregg Marshall and his staff's assessment. Krystowiak has been no slouch at talent evaluation either. Wichita St, Vanderbilt, Utah, plus several strong mid major offers sounds good to me.

NIce info on Pangos.

I disagree though with you on him being a benchwarmer on Taft. The 13 ppg is what he was doing on AAU circuit I believe. He put up great numbers in his HS league.

Aside from his lack of competition though, what do you find in his game that sucks? I think he lacks explosion as an athlete, and wish he could jump higher. I'm not sure how strong he is and how his defense is because the lack of highlights showing that, but do you not think he has a lot of tools?

I can agree with you that I wish Tad and Co were landing some better prospects that were more highly coveted, but I like this kid. I think for us, we take him.

It's too early in the cycle to get attached. If Siewert and/or Battey look good then it's going to be hard to sign anyone who sees himself as a stretch 4 like Battin.

NIce info on Pangos.

I disagree though with you on him being a benchwarmer on Taft. The 13 ppg is what he was doing on AAU circuit I believe. He put up great numbers in his HS league.

Aside from his lack of competition though, what do you find in his game that sucks? I think he lacks explosion as an athlete, and wish he could jump higher. I'm not sure how strong he is and how his defense is because the lack of highlights showing that, but do you not think he has a lot of tools?

I can agree with you that I wish Tad and Co were landing some better prospects that were more highly coveted, but I like this kid. I think for us, we take him.
While I'd love to see more Top 25 or Top 50 level players commit to CU, where I think this program needs to establish itself is filling out the roster with Top 100 or Top 150 guys. Good recruiting evaluations of players on that 3*/4* edge can build a team that competes for titles and Dances every year.

He put up great numbers in his HS league. Aside from his lack of competition though, what do you find in his game that sucks? I think he lacks explosion as an athlete, and wish he could jump higher. I'm not sure how strong he is and how his defense is because the lack of highlights showing that, but do you not think he has a lot of tools?

I have seen many players over the years who dominate in suburbs but do not possess the talent (be it lack of development, minimal play against high caliber players or have been over-hyped at a lower level) to succeed at Major D1 programs. I certainly do not think he sucks and by his offers, a few colleges believe he can have an impact at the next level or is at least worth a flyer. I think that is what he would be at CU. Tad has not been able to land a quality C since signing Josh. My comments are more based on wanting to see a big/ger signing by Tad. The roster will only have one true post player when the class of 2018 arrives on campus, I am not convinced Battin will make a difference at this level. Then again, who knew D. White would explode the way he did, outside of Tad?

Utah is moving to 1b on my basketball hate list.

Football in the PAC-12 - I can't stand UCLA. When it comes to bball, I'm learning to dislike Utah more and more too. Tall Coach K is a really good one though....not sure why I hate them except for how they beat us and are close by.

Back