What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 CA OG Paul Matavao-Poialii (Signed to Baylor)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

8828496.jpg

Jefferson HS (Daly City, CA)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/poly_boi50

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 330
40:

247s rating: 3*- 87 grade; #39 OG
ESPN rating: 3*- 72 grade; #98 OG
Rivals rating: 3*- 5.5rr; unranked OG

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8469 / #61 OG / #1203 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Baylor, Fresno State, Hawaii, Kansas, Oregon State, FCS

Last edited:
New offer or newly discovered? Seems odd we'd be making offers for OL prior to a positiipcoach being on board. If new, I'd take that to mean we have an OL coach who just can't be announced.

I didn't watch all 7 minutes, but those highlights are great. He makes a few people probably contemplate giving up the sport. Also, not bad DT work and runs a wildcat!

Obviously over powers smaller kids, but looks strong at point of attack.
Run blocking looks good, foot work needs some help in pass blocking.

He looks like a grown man playing against children with every clip being him literally throwing a kid to the ground in both run blocking and pass pro. Looks pretty athletic and mobile for his size... What's the deal with his offer list? As a 2019 recruit, I feel like he is immediately at the top of the board as a guy who could actually come in and be a player from day one.

New offer or newly discovered? Seems odd we'd be making offers for OL prior to a positiipcoach being on board. If new, I'd take that to mean we have an OL coach who just can't be announced.
He'd been followed by Corey Hall for a while and also Roper (who was in his geography). Not sure why it took so long. Maybe he didn't fit what Adams was looking for but he does fit what the new system needs.

He looks like a grown man playing against children with every clip being him literally throwing a kid to the ground in both run blocking and pass pro. Looks pretty athletic and mobile for his size... What's the deal with his offer list? As a 2019 recruit, I feel like he is immediately at the top of the board as a guy who could actually come in and be a player from day one.
I hope and believe HCMT will put the best players on the field...regardless of seniority or tenure. MMac's strategy was to depend on seniors to build a culture etc. It worked in 2016 and works for rebuilds, but is a stupid philosophy for big time P5 football. I'd love to see this kid mauling the Trees and the Quackers next year.

Obviously he's got a lot of work to do with technique, but that hand punch is ridiculous.
Yep. I'm more than ok with finding 6'4" 330 lb OLs I'd be afraid to fight and then put them into an elite S&C program while teaching technique.

Much better than finding 250 lb TEs who are too slow to play the position in college and hoping you can put the weight on, teach them the trench mentality, and blow them up to 300 lbs. You take that approach and every now and then you'll hit a grand slam with a Nate Solder, but usually you'll just have a soft OL that can't get a push.

Yep. I'm more than ok with finding 6'4" 330 lb OLs I'd be afraid to fight and then put them into an elite S&C program while teaching technique.

Much better than finding 250 lb TEs who are too slow to play the position in college and hoping you can put the weight on, teach them the trench mentality, and blow them up to 300 lbs. You take that approach and every now and then you'll hit a grand slam with a Nate Solder, but usually you'll just have a soft OL that can't get a push.
This is funny because I've stood next to Brett Tonz before, and I can honestly say I think I'd take him.

Not physically, because this dude is huge and Bakh was small coming in, but this situation reminds me of the David Bakhtiari situation where we discovered him late; and coincidentally he was also a Northern Cali kid. Hopefully it unfolds the same way.

dude has some physical maturity for his age. could be an early help.

a convo awhile back with some old usc/socal coaches about the trends in ol size--- "the only guys i want to see any jiggly belly fat on are o-linemen." that's kinda old school, but big is not bad if they have the feet.

Back