What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 JC DT Janaz Jordan (SIGNED to COLORADO)

I love that we are getting some dogs for the DL, height and size. Jordan projects at NT/0/1 tech but could slide around on the DL on early downs. Flashes good athletic ability from his video, strong hands, and ability to get off blocks. Still inconsistent putting these all together along with his feet and reading the keys, causing OL to get the jump on him occasionally which is why he's flying under the radar. The upside is clearly there to jump and help us early as a JC with good coaching. We are seeking to improve the size and depth on the DL which is a great thing.

this guy looks like a grown ass man. he's going to take up some space upfront. welcome!

Yes! Three 0 techniques in one day. Allsome. This is the position we've always struggled with seems like forever.

This new staff comes in, snap fingers, voila instant depth.

Welcome Janaz.

S&C guys will have to transform him from a big tub of goo to a mountain of muscle. He will be a project.

What’s better? Taking an already big guy and sculpting him down or a smaller guy and building him up? It appears MT prefers the former.

What’s better? Taking an already big guy and sculpting him down or a smaller guy and building him up? It appears MT prefers the former.
Bigger is better...

"The more inertia that an object has, the more mass that it has. A more massive object has a greater tendency to resist changes in its state of motion."
upload_2018-12-21_10-3-43.jpeg

Naturally big guys are naturally stronger in that "country strong*" way that doesn't always show up in the weight room numbers. You've got to be strong just to do basic movements throughout the day we don't even think about (like standing up) when you've been carrying around 50-100 lbs more than someone else.

"Country strong" is what we used to call the kids we played with who grew up on a farm or ranch tossing hay bales or whatnot all day long. They didn't usually have great weight room numbers but their functional strength was really high and were a bitch to deal with. I think Wells is a guy who came in like that for us last year. Same concept applies, I think, with guys who come in over 300 lbs.

Additionally, it's simply harder to move a more massive guy and it's more tiring to try to do it 50+ times over the course of a game. I think that's the big difference with the best programs like Georgia. A CU team built like we've been might make some plays and jump up on them early. But they're very confident that over the course of a game they will wear us down with their massive lines and bigger backs. By the 4th quarter, their 2-3 yard runs turn into 5-6 yard runs. Opponent's effective runs start getting blown up in the backfield.

Best example of “Country strong” was Nolan Ryan. He beat the Hell out of Robin Ventura, who thought he was taking on an old man.

080217_ventura_CF_med.gif

Naturally big guys are naturally stronger in that "country strong*" way that doesn't always show up in the weight room numbers. You've got to be strong just to do basic movements throughout the day we don't even think about (like standing up) when you've been carrying around 50-100 lbs more than someone else.

"Country strong" is what we used to call the kids we played with who grew up on a farm or ranch tossing hay bales or whatnot all day long. They didn't usually have great weight room numbers but their functional strength was really high and were a bitch to deal with. I think Wells is a guy who came in like that for us last year. Same concept applies, I think, with guys who come in over 300 lbs.

Additionally, it's simply harder to move a more massive guy and it's more tiring to try to do it 50+ times over the course of a game. I think that's the big difference with the best programs like Georgia. A CU team built like we've been might make some plays and jump up on them early. But they're very confident that over the course of a game they will wear us down with their massive lines and bigger backs. By the 4th quarter, their 2-3 yard runs turn into 5-6 yard runs. Opponent's effective runs start getting blown up in the backfield.

Whenever I think of “country strong,” I think of a dude I signed out on a car deal who was a Kansas farmer. He was easily 6’5” to 6’6” and weighed 315 to 325 lbs. He was not fat. No human being had ever shaken my hand so hard with so little effort. He was just naturally strong with massive hands. At that same store, numerous Broncos and Avs players bought vehicles from us. Big guys. His handshake was the firmest by a wide margin.

Back