What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 TNFR QB Jalen Hurts (Committed to Oklahoma)

The boring Alabama offense that we see every year is a direct reflection of Saban's formula to build a team that can win reliably without any risk. Bring in superior talent on the Oline and at RB, get a company man at QB and then just methodically dominate. In the rare event there is parity in competition, then address with meticulous planning and preparation.

Jalen is the company man. He only threw one interception all year and he is a reliable extra running back that the D has to account for. Good chance he starts.

He knew he didn't have a choice last night, but I don't think Saban's inner control freak can tolerate Tua long term. Tua wants to sling it and that is going to give Saban a heart attack; its not how he wants to run his team. Tua should transfer.

If Jalen transfers he should timewarp to CU in 1990, or go to Georgia Tech.

He's a phenomenal athlete but a **** QB. If he wants to have a career at the next level, he'd be wise to use this as a wake up call and either stay with Alabama and switch positions, or switch positions and transfer. Either way, Nick Saban saying, "We knew we were going to have to pass to win in the 2nd half, so we decided to make the change" should tell him all he needs to know about his prospects of playing QB going forward.
I think if you get benched at Alabama, or don't start consistently in the first 2 years, you either a) better transfer or b) consign yourself to a future of whatever an AL degree will do for you. Most of these Top 100 kids don't understand this. And then they are in their parents' basements or wondering why they didn't sign with UCF, Miss St, SC, or Kentucky. Very Nuts.

Guy is a phenomenal athlete but a lousy passer. Has to be able to figure out that he won't be the starting QB at Bama next year unless Tau gets hurt and then maybe not depending on who else Saban recruits.

He may transfer but I would bet a cup of coffee on Saban showing him Terrell Pryor and convincing him that he can be a college QB someplace else or a future NFL WR at Bama and that the second is going to mean he wins a lot of games then gets paid.

Saban will convince him to go to WR in part by saying "you will still be our wildcat QB, here's the package." and showing him enough to convince him that he can still consider himself a part-time QB. He won't actually discuss that Tau is a good enough athlete that they don't need a wildcat QB but Saban could sell Yugo's in Beverly Hills.

Guy is a phenomenal athlete but a lousy passer. Has to be able to figure out that he won't be the starting QB at Bama next year unless Tau gets hurt and then maybe not depending on who else Saban recruits.

He may transfer but I would bet a cup of coffee on Saban showing him Terrell Pryor and convincing him that he can be a college QB someplace else or a future NFL WR at Bama and that the second is going to mean he wins a lot of games then gets paid.

Saban will convince him to go to WR in part by saying "you will still be our wildcat QB, here's the package." and showing him enough to convince him that he can still consider himself a part-time QB. He won't actually discuss that Tau is a good enough athlete that they don't need a wildcat QB but Saban could sell Yugo's in Beverly Hills.

It's interesting to me that Nick never goes after big arm pure passers in recruiting. His plan is winning with Defense and the running game.

Saban is more than willing to air it out at times. There is a reason top WRs flock there year after year.

Quote of the year so far: Yugos in B Hills. But neither Hurts nor Tau will ever get within 20
miles of an NFL training camp IMO. The AL program just isn't set up that way as to the QB position. That's one of the main beauties of the system. It's brilliant.

He's an Alabama instinctive undersized gritty hyper-confident gamer. A perfect fit for AL.

BTW Duff, please don't gakk me too much on the subject of Tide QBs. About a year ago I was imploring the Broncos to try and get A.J. McCarron from the Bengals.

I assume you did not watch him much at Bama then, if you think Saban never goes after "big arm passers in recruiting" and that he content to win with the running game and defense.

Saban has shown the ability to adapt to the modern game of Spread offense and he has won big with multiple offensive coordinators running it. I don’t understand why this narrative that he doesn’t like/want to win throwing the ball is a thing.

I assume you did not watch him much at Bama then, if you think Saban never goes after "big arm passers in recruiting" and that he content to win with the running game and defense.

Wasn’t Alabama all in on Fromm and then he decommitted and went to Georgia instead? There’s your perfect example right there.

Saban is more than willing to air it out at times. There is a reason top WRs flock there year after year.

Saban ran the 91st best passing offense this year. It seems to him passing is what you do every now and then to keep teams from loading the box.

Saban has shown the ability to adapt to the modern game of Spread offense and he has won big with multiple offensive coordinators running it. I don’t understand why this narrative that he doesn’t like/want to win throwing the ball is a thing.
Because we collectively have the memory of half of one goldfish; I'm talking about the cracker not the animal.

Saban ran the 91st best passing offense this year. It seems to him passing is what you do every now and then to keep teams from loading the box.

He's not Mike Leach, but the passing game for him is more than just keeping the defense honest. If you at his 2012-2014 teams, those teams were down right explosive in the passing game (Top 20 in YPA and TDs all three seasons).

He's not Mike Leach, but the passing game for him is more than just keeping the defense honest. If you at his 2012-2014 teams, those teams were down right explosive in the passing game (Top 20 in YPA and TDs all three seasons).
82 passing offense in 2016
64 passing offense in 2015
29 passing offense in 2014
41 passing offense in 2013
74 passing offense in 2012
69 passing offense in 2011

YPA comes from the fact they only take low risk throws.

82 passing offense in 2016
64 passing offense in 2015
29 passing offense in 2014
41 passing offense in 2013
74 passing offense in 2012
69 passing offense in 2011

YPA comes from the fact they only take low risk throws.

Not going to change your mind, but Amari Cooper and Deandrew White were both explosive players. It was a pretty wide open passing offense.

Not going to change your mind, but Amari Cooper and Deandrew White were both explosive players. It was a pretty wide open passing offense.

Could be one of those situations where the statistics also don't tell the whole story.

Most years Saban's offense has been able to be explosive passing when it needs to (like in the second half Monday night.)

Even with that explosive potential they will always emphasize the run. Bigger issue is that much of the schedule Bama is usually dominating by halftime. Doesn't do much for your stats when you are ahead by 3 or more TDs and essentially running out the clock with back-ups in the game.

They have been a ball control offense at times under Saban and they have also been willing to spread it out and pass more. The offense in 2014 was quite different from the offense in 2017, almost as if Saban plays to his team's strengths.
I've always thought of Bama as ball control offense through its commitment to the run game with an emphasis on making explosive plays out of the passing game. Who they've had at QB has determined just how much of that explosive passing they've gotten. Not much with Hurts under center. A lot before that.

They have been a ball control offense at times under Saban and they have also been willing to spread it out and pass more. The offense in 2014 was quite different from the offense in 2017, almost as if Saban plays to his team's strengths.

you are referring to the Kiffin experiment?

Back