'19 TNFR QB Tate Martell (Committed to Miami)

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Recruiting Central' started by Bread, Jan 10, 2019.

1. brettden

brettden Well-Known Member

I agree. I just can't rationalize how a guy with aspirations to start for a P5 college team, let alone a nfl team, wouldn't compete for a spot that is right in front of him. It literally would have no impact on his ability to transfer. He is not eligible to play in 2019 regardless of when he transfers. Mayfield went to TT, and only left after he didn't get a scholarship after winning the starting spot and playing well. Davis Webb stayed at TT, even after losing his starting job to Mahomes, then went the grad transfer route.

Don't get me wrong I am all for adding as much talent as possible. But I also think there is something to be said for guys who are willing to compete for what they want. If Martell comes here are we going to promise him that he is opening day starter in 2020? That is nonsense. Stay at OSU, fight for what you want. If you lose find another option. Not winning any competition that you don't engage in. If he does end up at CU I hope he makes me eat my words.

2. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

He was apparently a real ass in a program that I think was called QB1. Bad report card all across the interwebz.

3. Bread

Bread I like the mask Club Member

He's literally just listed in the transfer portal. All it means is that teams can contact him about coming to play for them. He may very well stay through the spring and try and compete for the starting job. But why not open yourself up to communication to see what might be the best fit for you? Unless you really think it's wrong for a kid to try and find somewhere he might like to be in case he doesn't get the starting job? You're making assumptions that he won't compete. He may compete or he might transfer right away, but you can't just automatically assume he's not going to compete because he wants to communicate with other teams.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM
  4. Bread

Bread I like the mask Club Member

It's a Netflix series, highly recommend if you have the time. First season was him, Jake Fromm and Trayvon Bowers and was really interesting to watch.

5. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Netflix picked it up but it was originally only available online on something called Go90. I saw it too - the contrast in maturity between Fromm and Martell was striking, but no question Martell is talented and he was a 17 year old so...

Bread likes this.
  6. TSchekler

TSchekler Club Member Club Member

Love AllBuffs saying “no thanks” to a borderline 5* QB because of some weak narrative that he’s not a good locker room guy. Thought we were all about BBF, hawg?

7. brettden

brettden Well-Known Member

Fair point bc I have no idea how the transfer portal works or how long it takes to complete the process once the wheels begin. Seems like Fields did it in about 2 weeks. And am I really the only one who thinks there are some real red flags with this kid being capable of running a P5 team? He essentially tweeted "Fields don't come here bc I am here" then put his name in the transfer portal a week after Fields transferred to OSU. Everyone (for the most part) on this board, and every board, is speculating. So I don't see the need to avoid being pragmatic (ok maybe cynical too) about what facts we do have. Fact - he was a big time hs recruit. Fact - he has had two seasons with OSU. Fact - he did not win the job either year (basically no chance he would have considering the competition, but he did have that chance twice). Fact - he sent a semi obscure tweet that most uninterested parties have interpreted to mean "Fields don't come here" Fact - Fields transferred to OSU. Fact - Martell is at least exploring the idea of moving on.

My assumption - he won't ever live up to his ranking as the #2 rated dual threat QB. If he comes to CU I will be behind him all the way, but in the meantime I will be highly skeptical that he will ever perform to his perceived potential.

SBP likes this.
  8. Tatanka™

Tatanka™ Club Member Club Member

That was the second best rundown of facts ever!

9. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

10. bigbuff44

bigbuff44 Well-Known Member

The feeling is it is down to WVU and Miami. That the word traveling around here in WV.

11. hawg1

hawg1 Well-Known Member

I don’t blame him at all for considering transfer. His behavior re: Fields and Haskins is highly questionable and should make one pause. I’d have to dig deeply into motivations, leadership, team-orientation before he would play on my team. Pass at this point.

12. Buffsrock85

Buffsrock85 Mantrum Expert

Or he’s just a normal person who thought they were next in line for a promotion and the boss hired some hot shot straight out of college to come take his job. He’s pissed, I don’t blame him. He did what they asked and was committed to them and they decided they wanted someone else.

13. JOEinDenver

JOEinDenver Buy1Nourish2 Club Member

How many National Championships has your team won?

brockbuff likes this.
  14. JOEinDenver

Ohio State liked him, and they have eight! I’d take him.

CULifer and brockbuff like this.
  15. Not Sure

Not Sure Club Member Club Member

My God. Of COURSE CU would take him if he wanted to come here.

Tractor, Bread and Buffnik like this.
  16. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

It's not clear to me how much they liked him in the end actually....

68buffs and Sykobuff like this.
  17. JOEinDenver

You’re talking about splitting hairs with elite QB’s. How many of those are on the current Roster?

brockbuff and DrunkRalphie like this.
  18. buffaholic

Let's not pretend that every 5 star QB is a success. All I'm saying is they may not have loved him all that much for any number if reasons. Plenty of head cases have preceded him, but also guys who were just widely overrated. We just have no idea.

19. JOEinDenver

Did our backup QB look like this?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM
  20. JOEinDenver

Wait... Our starter didn't look like this!

21. AllStarBuffs

AllStarBuffs Well-Known Member

Tate is definitely transferring. His twitter a few days ago had the headline of "Quarterback at....." He Gone

It was amusing to see him calling out Fields on twitter prior to Fields announcing his intent to transfer to Ohio State, then once it was official, Tate decides to transfer out

22. buff_fanatic

buff_fanatic Member

23. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

24. buffaholic

Actually, Montez' highlight tapes look unbelievable. It's the other 97%..... And how would we know what our backup looks like?

Martell clearly has an abundance of talent or he wouldn't have ever been at The Ohio State in the first place. Doesn't mean he's the #2 QB in his class (behind Fields, who OSU clearly preferred). When his brain is factored in, there's at least a smidgeon of risk. We will see, in the long run....

ZandiBuff likes this.
  25. SBP

SBP Club Member Club Member

Kid has a lot of Brick Berglund in him. I’ll be surprised if he has a successful college career.

Dorn09 likes this.
  26. hawg1

hawg1 Well-Known Member

The narrative is not weak. There are multiple occasions where his team vs self orientation should be questioned. Lockerrooms are sacred. He’s not coming to CO.

27. hawg1

hawg1 Well-Known Member

His behavior is ”normal”?

28. Buffsrock85

Buffsrock85 Mantrum Expert

Is it not normal? You ever seen someone quit their job over something like that? I have, a lot. It’s not some crazy reaction.

29. JOEinDenver

It’s the reaction of someone who expects to be number one. I would be worried if he didn’t react that way. Tate is a winner.

30. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

He'd be welcome here for sure but winners aren't afraid of competition right?

SBP likes this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.