What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 TNFR QB Tate Martell (Committed to Miami)

It’s the reaction of someone who expects to be number one. I would be worried if he didn’t react that way. Tate is a winner.

Me too and I think he’s a competitor but he felt disrespected.

He'd be welcome here for sure but winners aren't afraid of competition right?

Yes, but I feel like he’s pissed off that they took Fields transfer because he committed to them and stayed committed and has put in the work to be #1. Now he’s got this other guy to compete with him which is basically saying “we don’t think we’re good enough at QB.” I totally understand why he’s mad, would I give up? Maybe not. Maybe it isn’t the best “look” but his goal clearly is to play and be the starter so he wants to go somewhere where he can do that.

Me too and I think he’s a competitor but he felt disrespected.

Yes, but I feel like he’s pissed off that they took Fields transfer because he committed to them and stayed committed and has put in the work to be #1. Now he’s got this other guy to compete with him which is basically saying “we don’t think we’re good enough at QB.” I totally understand why he’s mad, would I give up? Maybe not. Maybe it isn’t the best “look” but his goal clearly is to play and be the starter so he wants to go somewhere where he can do that.

More power to him but I'd rather see him fight and prove he's the better QB. He has every right to move on but his twitter comments kind of made it look worse after deciding to transfer. Anyway, he's got the talent for sure.

More power to him but I'd rather see him fight and prove he's the better QB. He has every right to move on but his twitter comments kind of made it look worse after deciding to transfer. Anyway, he's got the talent for sure.

I agree that he should have stayed. But I don’t fault him for saying “**** this” and walking away. I don’t think it’s an unusual reaction for someone to do that in life. Plus, we don’t know what they told him in recruiting plus Meyer retiring, probably a lot of stuff we don’t even see.

I agree that he should have stayed. But I don’t fault him for saying “**** this” and walking away. I don’t think it’s an unusual reaction for someone to do that in life. Plus, we don’t know what they told him in recruiting plus Meyer retiring, probably a lot of stuff we don’t even see.

Fair point.

I don't know why so many people expect players, especially quarterbacks to stay and fight for the starting job. If you're a QB with professional aspirations, then you need as much tape and as much game time as possible. If they bring in someone via transfer, you gotta believe that other player was offered some playing time. Why would you stay and battle it out when you could go to another school who would love to have you AND one where you can sort of pick based on the personnel that'd be around you and the scheme you'd be playing in?

If I was Tate, I'd transfer too.

I was kind of miffed when Davis Webb decided not to come to CU and to go to Cal instead, but he got to be the unquestioned starter and he got picked in the 3rd round. It's hard to argue with his decision.

I don't know why so many people expect players, especially quarterbacks to stay and fight for the starting job. If you're a QB with professional aspirations, then you need as much tape and as much game time as possible. If they bring in someone via transfer, you gotta believe that other player was offered some playing time. Why would you stay and battle it out when you could go to another school who would love to have you AND one where you can sort of pick based on the personnel that'd be around you and the scheme you'd be playing in?

If I was Tate, I'd transfer too.

I was kind of miffed when Davis Webb decided not to come to CU and to go to Cal instead, but he got to be the unquestioned starter and he got picked in the 3rd round. It's hard to argue with his decision.
Agreed. Fields left UGA because he didn't want to be the backup again in 2019, so there's no chance he was going to transfer somewhere he wasn't given at least some assurances that it was his job in 2019. Martell saw the writing on the wall and did the same thing Fields did. This is a stupid argument. Doesn't look like he's going to give CU a look, but he would have been a game changer for 2020.

Agreed. Fields left UGA because he didn't want to be the backup again in 2019, so there's no chance he was going to transfer somewhere he wasn't given at least some assurances that it was his job in 2019. Martell saw the writing on the wall and did the same thing Fields did. This is a stupid argument. Doesn't look like he's going to give CU a look, but he would have been a game changer for 2020.
Wet blanket!

Shrout has shown he can play and could/should have been QB1 for an SEC program. Martell has shown he is QB3 on multiple P5 teams
I'm happy with CU's QB situation.

I've always believed in Martell, too.

It's not like he has been sitting behind scrubs.

He's leaving Miami because D'Eriq King decided to return for 2021.

He left Ohio State because after backing up Dwayne Haskins as a RS Frosh and playing well in limited chances, tOSU was able to bring in Justin Fields.

If there's a knock, it's been that Martell has been too impatient to play. I bet he finds a spot where he will start next season and be damn good.

He left Ohio State because after backing up Dwayne Haskins as. RS Frosh and playing well in limited chances, tOSU was able to bring in Justin Fields.

If there's a knock, it's been that Martell has been too impatient to play. I bet he finds a spot where he will start next season and be damn good.
Maybe. I know Fields and King were/are elite players, but he was moved to WR in Miami during his first season after losing the QB battle, which was before King transferred. Both teams he was at went outside the program to bring in better players.

I think you’re probably right but I’m not sure he’s a starting QB for a tier 1 or even tier 2 program. As Duff mentioned, I could totally see him going UNLV and tearing up the Mountain West.

He left Ohio State because after backing up Dwayne Haskins as a RS Frosh and playing well in limited chances, tOSU was able to bring in Justin Fields.

It seems like some top QB prospects prioritize playing time and development over championship aspirations, and it seems like that used to be more common. What if he'd come to CU in 2018 and beaten out Montez for the job? He'd have had Viska, Tony Brown, and KD Nixon all to throw to. A decent line. McMillan running... and we'd be a more attractive place for recruits during his career. We'd be higher up on a lot of guys lists if we had a top QB recruit.

This is all just daydreaming, but I always imagine someone coming to a smaller/lesser school as betting on themselves, while also putting themselves in a better position to succeed.

Last edited:

I'll take that bet.

Back