What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 TX RB Darrin Smith

WasianCU

Club Member
Club Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

5494508_8efb38088e6846e68c5c49477c5988f4.jpg

Frisco Lone Star HS (Frisco, TX)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DarrinDjSmith4

Ht: 5'9"
Wt: 185
40: 4.46 (non-verified, hudl)

247s rating: 3* - 83 grade; #15 APB
ESPN rating: unrated RB
Rivals rating: 3* - 5.7rr; #6 APB

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8538 / #11 APB / #928 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Air Force, Arkansas State, Connecticut, FAU, Florida, Hawaii, LA-Monroe, Miami (OH), Nebraska, New Mexico, New Mexico State, San Diego State, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Toledo, Tulane, TCU, Virginia Tech, FCS

Last edited by a moderator:
Lonestar is one of 11 high schools here in Frisco, but they are by far the best every year. I was at one of those games at the Ford Center when he went off. I figured he looked like many offers were headed his way.

Wish he was 3 inches taller and 20lbs heavier. Continues our seeming lack of desire to even pursue bigger backs.

Do major football programs allow players to major in engineering? That's only a partially serious question.
Back in 87-88, a freshman OL lived in Buckingham/Kittridge with me. I asked him about that. He said the first semester, there was a bit of pressure to change majors, but when he came back with a 3.0+, they never brought it up again and didn't ask him to attend study halls - basically just left him completely alone on the class front. He thought it was pretty funny.

Different regime, obviously, but there is one example.

Oh, and, yes, cool story bro'.

Back in 87-88, a freshman OL lived in Buckingham/Kittridge with me. I asked him about that. He said the first semester, there was a bit of pressure to change majors, but when he came back with a 3.0+, they never brought it up again and didn't ask him to attend study halls - basically just left him completely alone on the class front. He thought it was pretty funny.

Fully supported McCartney pulling a dual major and then pursuing medical school while here. As you described, I think the coaches are rightly concerned at first but then are supportive while turning their attention to real concerns as soon as a player shows he can handle the college work in a difficult major.

Offered by Florida.
Florida's got kind of an un-Florida coaching staff. Ron English is recruiting CA like crazy as the Safeties coach. Likewise, RB Coach Greg Knox is more of a TX recruiter. At the end of the day, though, Florida is going to give preference to in-state and the immediate footprint because that's their program DNA.

CU definitely didn't have problems with it under Barnett. Mossoni and Strickland were engineering majors. Eberhart (granted he was a kicker, but still) was also an engineering major. Rhodes Scholar Jim Hansen was an engineer while playing under Mac.

Florida's got kind of an un-Florida coaching staff. Ron English is recruiting CA like crazy as the Safeties coach. Likewise, RB Coach Greg Knox is more of a TX recruiter. At the end of the day, though, Florida is going to give preference to in-state and the immediate footprint because that's their program DNA.

And depending on the Engineering program, Florida has some top notch degrees you can earn. They are a very good engineering school

I worked and raised 2 kids while taking engineering. I know that isn’t football, but.....

Fully supported McCartney pulling a dual major and then pursuing medical school while here. As you described, I think the coaches are rightly concerned at first but then are supportive while turning their attention to real concerns as soon as a player shows he can handle the college work in a difficult major.
MM has zero problems with it. Guys who can handle it, can handle it.

Study Hall is a requirement for all freshmen at most places now.
CU has an individualized plan which is a bit more unique, but includes study hall minimums for every freshman. I don't know if that's a NCAA rule or not.
Every athletic program I've been in contact with regarding incoming freshman have mandatory frosh study halls.

Back