What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 CO QB Aidan Atkinson (Verbal to Northwestern)

Maybe I missed it in the story. Grabbing someone’s butt can be sexual assault, so how about not calling all sexual assault “rape?” It diminishes the meaning.

Atkinson is facing sexual assault on a helpless victim, sexual assault overcoming will, sexual assault incapable of appraising conduct, attempted sexual assault, and five charges of unlawful sexual contact stemming from an incident on a party bus in September 2018./QUOTE]

Atkinson is facing sexual assault on a helpless victim, sexual assault overcoming will, sexual assault incapable of appraising conduct, attempted sexual assault, and five charges of unlawful sexual contact stemming from an incident on a party bus in September 2018.
No mention of rape, not that it couldn't have happened. My point stands.

Maybe I missed it in the story. Grabbing someone’s butt can be sexual assault, so how about not calling all sexual assault “rape?” It diminishes the meaning.
It doesn't look like just "Grabbing someone' butt"
The butt grabbing could fall under the sexual contact charges sexual assault and attempted sexual assault are much more than that.

Also it gets me very angry that someone would think that even an attempt to grab my daughter's butt or that of one of her friends or any other girl is in any way not a big deal.

I will state that a lot of terrible judgement happened around this entire incident. The kids didn't rent that bus, they had to have assistance from some parents. At least some of the other parents had to know what was going on with a bunch of kids on the bus. If I found out my kids participated in something like this, even if they weren't involved in a sexual crime I would be highly upset and they know it.

I would hope that if the bus were illegally rented, if there was alcohol on the bus, or any other related issues that the adults who made it happen would be charged with contributing to the delinquency or other appropriate charges.

None of that changes the fact that this young man is physically grown and at the time of the incident less than two years away from leaving home to go to a college campus.

There is simply no excuse, zero, for a person not to respect the personal boundaries of others. If it is not fully consensual, as in 100% and mutually communicated, then there is no excuse for it and even unwelcome grabbing is completely out of line.

It doesn't look like just "Grabbing someone' butt"

The butt grabbing could fall under the sexual contact charges sexual assault and attempted sexual assault are much more than that.

Also it gets me very angry that someone would think that even an attempt to grab my daughter's butt or that of one of her friends or any other girl is in any way not a big deal.

I will state that a lot of terrible judgement happened around this entire incident. The kids didn't rent that bus, they had to have assistance from some parents. At least some of the other parents had to know what was going on with a bunch of kids on the bus. If I found out my kids participated in something like this, even if they weren't involved in a sexual crime I would be highly upset and they know it.

I would hope that if the bus were illegally rented, if there was alcohol on the bus, or any other related issues that the adults who made it happen would be charged with contributing to the delinquency or other appropriate charges.

None of that changes the fact that this young man is physically grown and at the time of the incident less than two years away from leaving home to go to a college campus.

There is simply no excuse, zero, for a person not to respect the personal boundaries of others. If it is not fully consensual, as in 100% and mutually communicated, then there is no excuse for it and even unwelcome grabbing is completely out of line.
Apparently you missed my point. On the continuum of sex related crimes, butt grabbing is at one end, rape is at the other - even they aren't all the same. You don't know specifically what he's being accused of, right?

I have a daughter, too. And two of the women closest to me were raped, one brutally and one in Boulder, so don't lecture me, please. It's not all the same.

Apparently you missed my point. On the continuum of sex related crimes, butt grabbing is at one end, rape is at the other - even they aren't all the same. You don't know specifically what he's being accused of, right?

I have a daughter, too. And two of the women closest to me were raped, one brutally and one in Boulder, so don't lecture me, please. It's not all the same.
No they aren't the same, his charges are those that go along with a lot more that grabbing a butt. Sexual assault on a helpless victim, sexual assault overcoming will, etc. are the legal terms for rape. That is what they call it in court documents.

No this wasn't some minor incident. Now as I stated at the outset he is innocent until proven guilty.

Not interested in lecturing anyone but this conduct if true is not minor, it is not something we can accept in society.

Fair enough for you to point out a definitional argument. I will agree that these charges may not meet the legal definition of rape in this country. My intention is not to let a semantic argument diminish the seriousness of these accusations.

My point, on the other hand, also stands. We enable a culture of sexual predation when we excuse offenses like this as "mistakes". Every time we let a Brock Turner off over a concern for his future, or chalk his actions up to alcohol and the mistakes of youth, we unleash the next wave of attacks onto our children.

And, if he was merely groping young women against their will (or while they were inebriated), I myself tend to put that a lot further along the continuum toward rape than I do toward a "butt grab".

For many of the reasons that have already been pointed out, this isn't quite adding up, and I'll be curious to hear what the story is here...but maybe it will never come to light.

Remember innocent until proven guilty but yes it does sound bad.

Glad he isn't a CU commit because if he was certain members of the media would be all over it.

Wouldn't be surprising if Northwestern pulled their offer to him immediately.
Doesn't matter. He's cooked. USA Today picked it up and evidently ESPN is about to as well. NU will likely pull away. Too much smoke.

Doesn't matter. He's cooked. USA Today picked it up and evidently ESPN is about to as well. NU will likely pull away. Too much smoke.

From what I've heard, this is deserved. I would bet he doesn't have a landing spot following this.

He was 17 at the time, at least a couple of the victims were drunk ('helpless', 'incapable of appraising') and it does sound like some adolescent 'grab-ass'. I have a 17 yo daughter, and I hope nothing like that happens to her, but I'd hate to see his life ruined - if it was not more serious than it seems. In most jurisdictions he'd likely be considered for a deferred sentence - but would have to register for awhile and do treatment

"The alleged incident involved one male and multiple females aboard a party bus on Sept. 15, 2018, the release said. The three charges of sexual assault are specified as sexual assault on a helpless victim, sexual assault overcoming will and sexual assault incapable of appraising conduct".

He was 17 at the time, at least a couple of the victims were drunk ('helpless', 'incapable of appraising') and it does sound like some adolescent 'grab-ass'. I have a 17 yo daughter, and I hope nothing like that happens to her, but I'd hate to see his life ruined - if it was not more serious than it seems. In most jurisdictions he'd likely be considered for a deferred sentence - but would have to register for awhile and do treatment

"The alleged incident involved one male and multiple females aboard a party bus on Sept. 15, 2018, the release said. The three charges of sexual assault are specified as sexual assault on a helpless victim, sexual assault overcoming will and sexual assault incapable of appraising conduct".

Dude.

We’ve all seen that, initially, multiple charges are filed in these cases then sorted out later. That’s why we should wait.

He is innocent until proven guilty. But let's be clear here, he's not being charged with grab ass or boys will be boys. Period. He's been arrested on charges of knowingly inflicting sexual intrusion or sexual penetration (1) on a physically helpless victim: (2) against the victim's will; (3) with knowledge that the victim was incapable of appraising the conduct. These are all felony charges. Here's what constitutes sexual intrusion and penetration:

(5) “Sexual intrusion” means any intrusion, however slight, by any object or any part of a person's body, except the mouth, tongue, or penis, into the genital or anal opening of another person's body if that sexual intrusion can reasonably be construed as being for the purposes of sexual arousal, gratification, or abuse.

(6) “Sexual penetration” means sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, analingus, or anal intercourse.  Emission need not be proved as an element of any sexual penetration.  Any penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the crime.

He was also charged with lesser offenses that do not require proof of penetration or intrusion, but the fact of the matter is that the police determined there was probable cause to arrest him for rape (under whatever definition you want to use).

He is innocent until proven guilty. But let's be clear here, he's not being charged with grab ass or boys will be boys. Period. He's been arrested on charges of knowingly inflicting sexual intrusion or sexual penetration (1) on a physically helpless victim: (2) against the victim's will; (3) with knowledge that the victim was incapable of appraising the conduct. These are all felony charges. Here's what constitutes sexual intrusion and penetration:

He was also charged with lesser offenses that do not require proof of penetration or intrusion, but the fact of the matter is that the police determined there was probable cause to arrest him for rape (under whatever definition you want to use).

This is correct, if the press is accurately reporting the charges, he's being accused of more than groping (sexual contact). It sounds serious, which makes it odd that they took so long to prosecute.

Back