What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2010 Recruiting Class - Does it stack up?

My biggest fear would be going 2-2 OOC and finishing 5-7. If we start out fast and have a Bowl season, great. If we start the season like last, I think we make a change mid-season as you suggest and salvage what we can.

A 5-7 season is a tricky beast. It would probably mean Hawk finishes the season, but we miss out on a bowl...again. And I would fear that it could be seen as enough of an improvement by the powers that be to justify keeping him another season.

Pretty much agree. I am willing to give Hawkins a full season to save his job, but that can only happen if we get off to a good start. I just hope there is a plan in place to make changes mid-season if we have another disastrous start.

Evaluating and projecting how a HS player will do at the next level is very inexact as everyone does knows. But teams increase their odds of success as they find the players they project to be good players. Teams like KU, ISU, Baylor, KSU have been recruiting classes filled with 2 & 3 star players for years - and they produce some good football players but the downfall is they usually don't have enough good football players to consistently compete at the upper levels of the conference. When you are recruiting at that level it is like working at played-out gold mine. You will find some nuggets from time to time but only enough to cover your overhead. The teams that are at the top of the conference recruit well year in and year out.

I do know that whenever CU has been really good it has been a direct result of good recruiting. In the 90s CU was going head to head with Texas, USC, NU and OU for recruits. That started falling off when the effects of the scandal hit. Now CU is reduced to recruiting at a level I have not seen before. I blame part of it on Hawkins approach to recruiting - it is unfocused. He is not forming any geographical recruiting base, they run all over the country but do not focus where they have the best chance.

People can always talk about some unrated player who starts as a freshman or how good Boise State does with low ranked recruits, but CU has to compete in the Big 12 and will they have the players in sufficient quantity to do that.

Getting by in the WAC/MAC/MWC (ect) with leftovers is one thing. Getting by in the Big12 is a completely different story. That probably has something to do with Hawkins having success at Boise as a HC, but ZERO success at CU as a HC.
Who is Hawkins?

We absolutely had to have another rb so im happy with the commit. The guy doesnt suck, he obviously has some talent. He looks like he could put on some weight too. Im not so much worried about him breaking the ankle as I am the dislocation. My brother did something similar to his foot and he has trouble with it to this day. The things players can come back from now was career ending 20 years ago, maybe even more recent than that, Im sure he will be fine.

Looking at raw numbers (speed, size, etc) this class looks to have plenty of potential. I'd love to see another good linebacker, DB, and DT, but I don't see this class to this point as disappointing.

My biggest fear would be going 2-2 OOC and finishing 5-7. If we start out fast and have a Bowl season, great. If we start the season like last, I think we make a change mid-season as you suggest and salvage what we can.

A 5-7 season is a tricky beast. It would probably mean Hawk finishes the season, but we miss out on a bowl...again. And I would fear that it could be seen as enough of an improvement by the powers that be to justify keeping him another season.

Right on the head with this comment.

We need to either have a complete turn-around where this team becomes a quality winner and starts on the path that Hawk was on at Boise or much more likely the team implodes to a point that the administration cannot justify keeping him for another year.

With the situation as unsteady as it is I am actually surprised at the quality of the class Hawk has put together. We have a couple of significant late bloomers who developed late enough in their high school careers to be missed by the "big names" until it was to late. I am very optimistic about Hirschman who looks like he could develop into the game changing QB we have lacked for many years. Uzo-Diribe and Jared Bell also fit this catagory. We have Tony Jones who is a big risk due to coming off a leg injury (as is Trea Jones) but who if healthy and without academic questions would have been on top of a lot of list. If we can get Hemschoot on board he is another who has the potential to turn into an all-conference guy. Munchie is anothe wild-card who could be significant for us if he sticks to the Buffs.

The most important thing with this class however for me is that this is clearly a transitional year class. If Hawk turns it around and stays or if he is replaced most of these kids will not be playing next year or even the next but they will be key in maintaining the program at a big XII level between some of the guys we are playing now and the key players in future classes.

A lot of the guys we have may never be all-conference players but it looks like we have a bunch who will be able to play at the big XII level and at least be contributers. I don't see lot of guys who are just bodies to fill up a uniform. Realistically a number of these guys are academic or health risk and may never see the field in a B&G uniform. You always have some who just don't develop and spend time as non-contributors, this happens even with 4* and 5* guys sometimes and at all schools to one degree or another. I don't see any guys who jump out as not belonging at this level even with the lack of star power in the class.

what else can you say? so pathetic, but let's be real that's what we've become. what really makes me sick is we didn't get 1 of the top 10 players in colorado. nebraska is ahead of us by simply having better leadership, coaching. they were dead in the water and they've brought it back, not all the way back but they took 2 of the top col. prospects from colorado. and jones going to a & m?didn't we beat them this year? sad

"The most damaging was Mister Jones -- elite player from the state, committed to CU, and he decommits for another conference team," Huffman said. "In years past, Colorado turned those kinds of kids, Bryce Givens, Nick Kasa, or landed them outright, Jon Major, but now they`re losing them, to relatively mediocre schools like Texas A&M. So they have to scramble to fill their classes and go after guys who have mid-major offers."

agree with the sentiment here, but while not what they were in the 90's....ATM is consistently a top 25 type recruiting program. this is a weird statement from Brandon Huffman, west region Scout.com recruiting guy. losing Jones to New Mexico might be a "relatively mediocre" school. no specific offense to UNM, just an example. ATM has recruited 5 star backs out of Texas better than UT in the last 5 years with M. Goodson, Christine Michael, and Cyrus Gray. that ATM is loaded at RB seems like a more accurate stance to take (although it doesn't fit with the article's slant).

Last edited:
Here is Scout's view on the Buff's recruiting class...

"While the Cornhuskers do not boast a flashy class on paper, don't be fooled. Bo Pelini is building his roster with blue-collar, quality football players who fit the culture of his program, and this year's class embodies that. Missouri has recruited in a similar fashion when you look at where it has concentrated: quarterback and offensive playmakers. However, things are looking bleak in Boulder, Colo. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4845025

You know, our class is not up to the standard we would all like. And a string of classes like this would be devestating. But We do have a load of three star guys and, really those are what make up the meat of most classes. No matter how many four and five star guys you have in a class, it is the success or failure of the three star guys that, in the end, either elevate or lower a team's results. So, for this year, we need to hope that the kids we are getting or kind of sleepers. John Regal used to say that only a third of the five star guys ever ended up really being something. The fours and fives are no brainers as far as evaluating recruits go. Where coaches make their money, so to speak, is how they evaluate the less sought after kids. So, I say, don't get all caught up into it this year.

The most important thing for the success of this program is that Hawkins turns it around next year and turns the heads of recruits. If that does not happen, which most of you expect, then CU's ability to bring in a top notch replacement. Its a crap shoot all the way around.

A sure sign a football program is in trouble is when the flagship university cannot recruit the best in-state prospects.

A sure sign a football program is in trouble is when the flagship university cannot recruit the best in-state prospects.
To Hawkin's credit, until this year, he's been as good as any recent coach in signing the top guys. Frankly, this year is a bit of a down year for Colorado as far as recruits go. Hinder was never coming here because of his family ties. Spond? Well, I'm not sure how good he is. We'll see. But one off year for CU with in state recruiting is not exactly a pattern, is it?

You know, our class is not up to the standard we would all like. And a string of classes like this would be devestating. But We do have a load of three star guys and, really those are what make up the meat of most classes. No matter how many four and five star guys you have in a class, it is the success or failure of the three star guys that, in the end, either elevate or lower a team's results. So, for this year, we need to hope that the kids we are getting or kind of sleepers. John Regal used to say that only a third of the five star guys ever ended up really being something. The fours and fives are no brainers as far as evaluating recruits go. Where coaches make their money, so to speak, is how they evaluate the less sought after kids. So, I say, don't get all caught up into it this year.

The most important thing for the success of this program is that Hawkins turns it around next year and turns the heads of recruits. If that does not happen, which most of you expect, then CU's ability to bring in a top notch replacement. Its a crap shoot all the way around.

I agree with you. We have perhaps the next five (or more) years riding on the success of next year. If we can turn this ship around, perhaps we are back on track. If Hawkins fails, then we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

It is major crap shoot. The odds are stacked against us, but I sure as hell hope that Hawkins can roll some lucky dice

I think selecting a new coach is as much as a crap shoot as recruiting itself is. There are a very few coaches in college football that have seen high levels of success at multiple schools. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban come to mind. Paul Johnson seems to be on the right track at GT, but it is too early to tell if he will sustain success. A lot of guys - Rich. Rod, Charlie Weiss, Dan Hawkins come to mind immediately - seem to flop dramatically when they are brought in to save a team. Steve Spurrier has yet to do anything notable at South Carolina. Who knows how Lane Kiffin will turn out at USC. I think Tuberville will struggle at Texas Tech. Who knows how a coach is going to work out? We are the best example of that...

I agree with you. We have perhaps the next five (or more) years riding on the success of next year. If we can turn this ship around, perhaps we are back on track. If Hawkins fails, then we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

It is major crap shoot. The odds are stacked against us, but I sure as hell hope that Hawkins can roll some lucky dice
Now, come on Big D. The "forseeable future?" I think that is overstating things a bit.

This class is decent enough to where it shouldn't ruin the team for the next 5 years. If Hawk fails next year and we have to replace him, hopefully it's early enough to where the next coach can get in with a couple of months to spare so he can bring in a decent haul. This year and next year aren't supposed to be overly big classes anyway.

This class is decent enough to where it shouldn't ruin the team for the next 5 years.
It won't make or break Hawkins, I agree with that. I just don't believe it's a decent class. It's a very weak class. Especially from someone, who I think is a great recruiter. I don't mean to disrespect any young man who chose to become a Buff, it's just my opinion.

Fair enough, I don't know maybe I'm just hoping it's a decent class. The lack of offers for most of the recruits really worries me, but my amateur scouting eye tells me some of those guys can play some football. As far as other factors to that I don't know, maybe they play against sub par competition or have terrible grades or whatever. Hopefully Hawk knows what he's doing.

It won't make or break Hawkins, I agree with that. I just don't believe it's a decent class. It's a very weak class. Especially from someone, who I think is a great recruiter. I don't mean to disrespect any young man who chose to become a Buff, it's just my opinion.

Good post.

we are about to enter the rhetorical wasteland where offering guys with few or no other BCS or even D-1 offers is diamond hunting for Hawk but once equaled "cupboard left bare" for Barnett. black is black, not white.

barney had to go, hawk was the right hire at the time but maybe not a good hire...etc. that's not what my post is about.

one class in the 50's isn't going to ruin the program just like one class in the top 20 isn't going to make it (as we've seen).

However, Hawk wins 7 games next year and some juice is back in the program and recruits are interested. and i fly to the sun in a space-craft of my own making to make forever love with multiple solar space angel supermodels named Scarlett and Juliette.

Last edited:
we are about to enter the rhetorical wasteland where offering guys with few or no other BCS or even D-1 offers is diamond hunting for Hawk but once equaled "cupboard left bare" for Barnett. black is black, not white.

barney had to go, hawk was the right hire at the time but maybe not a good hire...etc. that's not what my post is about.

one class in the 50's isn't going to ruin the program just like one class in the top 20 isn't going to make it (as we've seen).

However, Hawk wins 7 games next year and some juice is back in the program and recruits are interested. and i fly to the sun in a space-craft of my own making to make forever love with multiple solar space angel supermodels named Scarlett and Juliette.

the bolded part is totally impossible.

Now, come on Big D. The "forseeable future?" I think that is overstating things a bit.

Just to clarify....I was talking about the on-the-field success next year, not this recruiting class. If we have a pathetic season again, I do think it will be the forseeable future before we have any chance for the kind of success most of us think is possible for Buff football.

A new coach beginning the rebuilding process after next year will take years for us to turn around. This is the exact reason I was so pissed off about Destuffadoosh's decision to retain Hawkins. The odds are stacked against the program....unless Danny rolls snake eyes next year, and we go 7-5 or better.

It would probably depend on the nature of how the 7 wins were achieved.

Very true. Road win at Cal or Oklahoma, or a home win against Georgia, would bring CU a lot of early attention.

Back