What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Basketball Season Tickets (sold out 10/4)

I get what you're saying on all counts (and I'm still looking for a Kansas ticket! I even made a joke about enrolling in a class so I could buy a student ticket). And I totally agree with you regarding student fees (we're really paying to build a Ralphie shaped outdoor pool?), but I guess my larger point is this- student tickets shouldn't be about raising revenue, they should be about cultivating the next generation of fans who will use their theoretically increased buying power to purchase regular season tickets. A student who can get in for $50 a season will become an alum who will buy season tickets for $110, or $200, or $300, or whatever. A student who is priced out of those tickets at the moment is less likely to become such an alum.

I'm with you. I remember thinking to myself in one of my smaller classes as an undergrad that I was the poorest kid in the room. Luckily that gave me plenty of practice for later in life.

I think I wrote a mostly accurate assessment. I was mostly suggesting that Men's basketball at CU should start to get treated like the star that it is and that I was surprised at how cheap student season tickets are. Nothing more other than throwing out an added possible benefit. Yet, I guess I hit a sore spot.

Good point about some students being stuck buying the football tickets. I didn't think if it that way at all. How times have changed.

Basketball season ticket holders get a great product and it would still be a great deal if the price was higher. It's a way underpriced and optional activity, so I don't see how it's on the backs of students.

If you think students will be able to get tickets to most games as they aren't sold out, I think you might be surprised. Students (those with season tickets) were actually turned away from at least one game last year due to unexpected attendance numbers. They sell more student tickets than actual seats, which is why a mandatory online check-in might be instated in the future. Weren't you recently asking for someone to sell you a Kansas game ticket? The demand will be there (if it's not already) - students just procrastinate. Haven't you paid attention to when students arrive for football games?

I don't buy the sticking it to the students argument. Student fees are a part of every school, and with hardly any money coming from the state, the money has to come from somewhere. Plus, basketball tickets are completely optional and not required fees. Again, I don't advocate gouging students at all. I was once a poor student (now I'm a poor former student), and all I mentioned was that a great product with great value could command a reasonably higher price.

Of course you just focused on price and not quality of product or change over time. That's okay though, as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Thanks for the dialogue.
They oversell because obviously there is more seating for football and basketball and they are packaged together. The athletic department forcing students to buy football season tickets to get basketball tickets alone is very smart. Most of my friends bought football tickets just so they can go to basketball games. I love CU football (I missed my senior homecoming two years ago to go to a CU game, that didnt end well for the girlfriend) but to be honest I am getting sick of the product and I love CU football. I can't imagine how students who didnt grow up going to games feel about going to football games if I am struggling to have a huge desire to go to a game. Also, how much do all of the other colleges charge for their students to go to their athletic events? zilch. None. A lot of my friends think the 175 dollars is a big money commitment given the football team and raising the prices would really kill the student attendance to football and it is awful now. prf is correct in the statement that kids are paying 175 dollars for basketball tickets. If they separated the two and gave a discount if you bundled the two together I can guarantee you that there would be more students paying for just basketball at 100 dollars compared to paying for both at 175 causing a lost revenue for the athletic department. I'm exhausted and rambled that could quite possibly make no sense.

We are officially Oklahoma State from the 90s. My sis went there and they were terrible in football and great in basketball. You had to buy football tickets to get into the basketball games and I think it was some lottery system.

I can't believe that student season tickets for basketball are only $35 if you have football season tickets. I think it's fair to treat men's basketball as the moneymaker that it currently is, and raise the price of it for students (while still keeping it a great deal - like $100 for a season ticket), to help generate some more money for the AD. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but the additional $175,000 or so wouldn't exactly be chump change for a cash strapped athletic department.

I think I paid $20 in addition to football season tix 12 years ago, and not even taking inflation into account, the product on the court is way more than a bit over one-third better than it was back then. Back then, that deal was a ripoff, as you could get in to almost every game (sans Kansas) for $2, and a free t-shirt often came with admission.
I think when I started at CU in 2004 it was ~$50 for football and ~$20 for basketball. Eventually there was a sports pass for ~$85.

There was a t-shirt, free pizza or Qdoba, or some other pormotion to many games as enticement to get people to go.

We are officially Oklahoma State from the 90s. My sis went there and they were terrible in football and great in basketball. You had to buy football tickets to get into the basketball games and I think it was some lottery system.
Many schools do a lottery system for basketball, I guess one of the good things about going to CU when they weren't good at basketball is that I never had to worry besides Kansas about seats, let alone good seats.

Many schools do a lottery system for basketball, I guess one of the good things about going to CU when they weren't good at basketball is that I never had to worry besides Kansas about seats, let alone good seats.

I just remember her and her friends complaining about having to buy football tixs to try and get to basketball games. CU was awesome at football and terrible in basketball when I went so I didn't have the same problem.

I can't imagine how students who didnt grow up going to games feel about going to football games if I am struggling to have a huge desire to go to a game.
For out-of-state students who are more casual fans, they have no real memory of CU ever being good. I mean the last time, CU was in the national conversation was over a decade. I'm not sure how much current college freshman were paying to CU football when they were 6-7 years old. As a huge sports fan, I'd go no matter what. I've rooted for some really sh*tty teams, but CU football is very tough given the blowouts in college football.

Also, how much do all of the other colleges charge for their students to go to their athletic events? zilch. None. I'm exhausted and rambled that could quite possibly make no sense.

Umm. Not true at all. Charging for tickets is common at many schools. Some DIII schools even charge students for tickets.

Dont' worry, most of it made sense. :)

I think when I started at CU in 2004 it was ~$50 for football and ~$20 for basketball. Eventually there was a sports pass for ~$85.

There was a t-shirt, free pizza or Qdoba, or some other pormotion to many games as enticement to get people to go.

Exactly. Some of my meals and wardrobe were based around attending crappy CU basketball games. I remember I'd always sit almost mid-court about 10-15 rows up. There was also a good chance of getting another shirt getting thrown up into the stands during the game.

SuperiorBuff
"When I was at CU it was $10 for football season tix and a used football ticket for admission to any court game."

Were the helmets leather? JK. Was this during the Fairbanks era by chance?

As an aside, for anyone planning or wanting to go to UofA for the game, single game tickets go on sale through the Az AD on November 30th. Southwest has online "gotta get away" tickets for $54 each way.

Umm. Not true at all. Charging for tickets is common at many schools. Some DIII schools even charge students for tickets.

yeah, what the hell? you should see what some schools charge their students. i know that minnesota hockey tickets alone are more than our football and basketball ticket package.

My high school it was like $2 for football, maybe $4 for tickets. Pretty sure it was $2 for basketball and other sports. It was $5 for playoff games in baseball -- I think that was regardless the sport and set by the county. I can't imagine spending money to go to to a D3 event. I know last year the D3 ,em's basketball championships were free.

Last edited:

Thanks haha. But I made that assumption just based off of csu and unc. Neither of them have to pay for a sports pass. They go for free except csu students have to pay like twenty bucks when they play us.

Exactly. Some of my meals and wardrobe were based around attending crappy CU basketball games. I remember I'd always sit almost mid-court about 10-15 rows up. There was also a good chance of getting another shirt getting thrown up into the stands during the game.
I still have many of those shirts from my time there (granted it was only 5 years ago). Probably 3/4 of my CU apparel I have is free basketball shirts.

And I know all big universities have to pay for games. I know ASU tickets for the students are really expensive. All I'm saying is a ticket increase in price for the students is a bad idea because for whatever reason they think students going to games for free like csu and unc is normal.

If they increase the prices that's fine with me. The per game deal you're getting, even if you only go to bball games, is a great one and it's even better with football and basketball.

Sent from a red light

Thanks haha. But I made that assumption just based off of csu and unc. Neither of them have to pay for a sports pass. They go for free except csu students have to pay like twenty bucks when they play us.
That's what it is at Maryland -- all home contests are free, but the neutral site games aren't necessairly. They have a problem with the "scan and leave" system at basketball games -- fans will scan their student cards to get into less marquee matchups against the likes of directional schools in OOC action and stay briefly if at all to build up points for the more marquee games. I actually think because it's "free," the students don't fully appreciate it. If they had to pay(or their parents even), they'd be more likely to stay.

Whenever student admission isn't charged even if it's done by some athletic fees, they'll tell you they are paying X amount to go there, so it's not really free.

When I was freshman and they sold out of football student tickets. Someone in a nearby dorm started a petition to allow all students to buy season tickets. I think they only sold out like a few days before the season started and while school was in session, so looking back he probably should've gotten his act together earlier but you still have to feel bad, part of the reason I wanted to go to CU was big-time athletics.

Didn't we just get through talking about how we need to increase revenue? Why would we start restricting access to the club room?

To increase revenue.

The club room is beyond realistic capacity anyway already, doing something to thin the crowds while picking up a few hundred more Buff-club members is an ideal way to do this.

To increase revenue.

The club room is beyond realistic capacity anyway already doing something to thin the crowds out which picking up a few hundred more Buff-club members is an ideal way to do this.

Or move the club room to one of the gyms in the practice facility.

Back