What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

Here's what happened, fwiw.

High School football coaches are celebrities in the state of Texas. They draw a lot of water. Mack Brown was extremely political with them and allowed recruiting decisions to be based on politics. If a kid was an all-state player in Texas for one of the big programs, UT did not take a kid from out-of-state even if they liked him a lot better. This is also about booster money. The same boosters paying the way at UT often spend a lot of money as boosters for their local high school.

Anyway, Mack Brown kissing asses and playing the game worked for a long time. For whatever reason, it stopped working. Now Strong came in and told that good ole boy network of coaches and boosters that he'll be making his own decisions on who he recruits... and it may not be who folks think UT should be recruiting. That's fine (and probably the correct approach), but Strong isn't a schmoozer and he couldn't deliver this message without pissing people off.

What this means for CU is that the door is open. I don't know whether Chambers is the guy or not, but it's going to take someone who can tap into that good ole boy network. Recruiting Texas is not like recruiting other places.

Mack Brown basically retired when he won the MNC unfortunately he did not leave the position. He got lazy, filled his classes in June and did no in depth evaluation of players into their senior season. They did no work if player did not verbal to them right away (did not compete for the Big Dogs). This culture permeated the program - which as you point out felt entitled. Strong has his work cut out for him but will probably have a top 10 class this year with guys that he is really competing for. I hear Texas may have 30 commits.

The whole NFL coaching things is weird to me. The NFL the players are the stars and the coaches are more like managers keeping the egos in check - the players have more clout than the coach. In college the coaches are Rock Stars...seems to be college is a better gig. In Kelly's case it may be his attitude just peeves people off, Oregon was not that sad to see him go.

The whole NFL coaching things is weird to me. The NFL the players are the stars and the coaches are more like managers keeping the egos in check - the players have more clout than the coach. In college the coaches are Rock Stars...seems to be college is a better gig. In Kelly's case it may be his attitude just peeves people off, Oregon was not that sad to see him go.

I think you mean the NBA

NFL is a vastly superior gig. Not nearly as much work, not dealing with the NCAA regulations and the recruiting rat race. As many coaches as players.... I see the appeal of the NFL, for sure.

They´re now saying that some Oregon peeps have heard that Kelly wants out of Philly.

NFL is a vastly superior gig. Not nearly as much work, not dealing with the NCAA regulations and the recruiting rat race. As many coaches as players.... I see the appeal of the NFL, for sure.

... and you can win the Super Bowl. The biggest prize in football.

I guess most coaches would dispute that "not nearly as much work" comment, btw. They work some crazy hours, I believe.

... and you can win the Super Bowl. The biggest prize in football.

I guess most coaches would dispute that "not nearly as much work" comment, btw. They work some crazy hours, I believe.

NFL coaches get time off after the season.... college coaches are going year round because of recruiting.

The work is a lot different but the NFL is a lot of work.

NFL coaches get time off after the season.... college coaches are going year round because of recruiting.

With the draft and free agency I think they at most get a couple of weeks in May/June. But those guys pretty much watch film all year round, do player evaluations etc.

NFL coaches routinely work 18-20 hour work days during the season. They do get an actual off-season, unlike college coaches. I'd like to think it balances out and probably has more to do with what the coach is more suited for.

So chip Kelly to the niners?

PRETTY, PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE.
:lol:

Rumor mill starting to swirl a little...

http://sanfrancisco.suntimes.com/sf-sports/san-francisco-49ers/7/74/61119/chip-kelly-49ers-trade/

The 49ers’ search for a new head coach has turned up some big names.We’ve heard Mike and Kyle Shanahan’s names being thrown around along with Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles.
And now enter a blockbuster: Chip Kelly.Ok, so there is no official word on this yet, but Twitter account @ProFootballTalk — which has 921,000 followers — seems to think it would be a great idea.

They have reshuffled things in Philly and given Kelly control over the personnel side of things while promoting and extending their GM. crisis averted. For now.

It seems like you don't make it either place unless you are an obsessed workaholic. Pro coaches are spending 14-16 hours a day including 10-12 with the players in season, it slows down some in the off-season because you have a general manager and personnel staff evaluating and acquiring players.

The big difference is that a pro coach isn't depending on a bunch of 17 years olds to decide they like him every year. He has to keep the program "fun" and keep the players happy in order to deep them from transferring and from sabotaging future recruiting.

The pro coach has the negative of the guy with a $8 million dollar cap number being able to give them attitude. On the other hand he can manage most of the roster by telling them that their contracts aren't guaranteed and he'll cut them on Monday if they don't want to be part of the program. If a player has some trade value he tells them they will be traded to Cleveland.

Other than a few high profile free agents he doesn't have to recruit. He simply tells the player "We drafted you, sign the contract and get your butt to camp if you want to play football for anyone." That paycheck gives them a lot more power and control than a college coach usually has.

They have reshuffled things in Philly and given Kelly control over the personnel side of things while promoting and extending their GM. crisis averted. For now.

He's probably doomed. HCs rarely make both good HCs and good GMs. Some have success and then they flopped later.

It sounds like there´s a chance he´s not the Eagles HC in Week 1 of the 2015 season, doesn´t it?

Kelly´s vulnerable as he´s missed the playoffs and has already lost one power struggle with Roseman since the season ended.
Fire Fox now and let Kelly coach out the season.

Several outlets reporting this, including FootballScoop:

Jim Mora: Jim Mora will interview either today or tomorrow for the Jets head coaching position per the Bruin Report (Scout).

Several outlets reporting this, including FootballScoop:

Jim Mora: Jim Mora will interview either today or tomorrow for the Jets head coaching position per the Bruin Report (Scout).

Not surprising. Let the Graham to UCLA rumors commence.

yep. regardless of how ****ty the team is, there are only 32 HC gigs in the NFL. They don't come calling all that often.

Dykes is looking for a new OC.

footballscoop

Kansas: Cal assistant head coach/wide receivers coach/passing game coordinator Rob Likens will join the KU staff as offensive coordinator according to Jayhawk Slant.

Utah struggles continue. No movement towards hiring either coordinator and a really interesting article from local SLC Tribune reporter that kind of makes KyleW look like a spoiled brat... I think he's a cocky ahole, but so are a lot of successful coaches.

Good read.

Back