What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 CU Spring Football Practices

I can't say much about Rippy, but the hype about Yuri has always been interesting. He played a fair amount his freshman year and I was unimpressed (unlike Crawley). I think the stars definitely play into it, but also the belief any young guy that plays early is automatically good and will experience a clear linear progression throughout his career. I remember Terror Smith being celebrated after his freshman year.

It's already been discussed, but you don't get the offer sheets Rippy and Wright did if you can't play. I'm not saying Saban and Urban Meyer were crying on NSD when neither signed with them, but they both had offers from almost every elite P5 program. Neither have lived up to that billing, thus far, at CU. The potential and talent for these two are real. They aren't manufactured by recruiting sites who are "arbitrarily assigning stars". Whether or not the potential will be realized is the only thing in question.

You would be wrong on this one. A lot of offers go out early.

Rippy didn't have a ton of commitable options in the end. Pitt wasn't his dream school. Having offers in May and still having them come NSD are different.

Yuri had the twitter problem, so it's hard to say. But DonMac has stated on Rivals that Yuri was rated based on potential. Not that he could certainly "play". He has measurables. I'm pretty certain a lot of programs had filtered him out well before Twitter Gate. DonMac made is seem like his interest here all along was Don's pushing him here to get him away from Newark and his great love for our program. Yeah ok. Last I checked, every top program in the country was pretty far from Newark.

I think it's safe to say that these two weren't as coveted in the end as many, many 3-stars. The hype was there but I doubt the actual interest was.

Rippy had options. Maybe not his entire offer list bit he took 4 OV's to 4 B5 schools (more than our entire commit list had this past class, combined)

You would be wrong on this one. A lot of offers go out early.

Rippy didn't have a ton of commitable options in the end. Pitt wasn't his dream school. Having offers in May and still having them come NSD are different.

Yuri had the twitter problem, so it's hard to say. But DonMac has stated on Rivals that Yuri was rated based on potential. Not that he could certainly "play". He has measurables. I'm pretty certain a lot of programs had filtered him out well before Twitter Gate. DonMac made is seem like his interest here all along was Don's pushing him here to get him away from Newark and his great love for our program. Yeah ok. Last I checked, every top program in the country was pretty far from Newark.

I think it's safe to say that these two weren't as coveted in the end as many, many 3-stars. The hype was there but I doubt the actual interest was.

Ok, I'll take your word for it but my actual point still stands to a certain degree. While many elite programs may throw out a lot of offers early on, they don't just throw out offers to kids that have no business playing at said program or aren't worthy of such offers. Neither of those guys may have been able to sign with Alabama on NSD, but we're not talking about a couple programs "cooling" on them.

Wright: Auburn, BC, Cal, Cincy, UGA, GT, Ill, Maryland, UM, UNC, ND, Pitt, Rutgers, South Car, Tenn, UCF, V Tech, and Wisconsin

Rippy: Pitt, Bama, AZ, Auburn, UF, Iowa, Maryland, UM, Nebraska, Ohio State, Syracuse, Tenn, UCLA, USC and West Virginia

You can't tell me that neither of those guys had the talent to play at the big time, P5 level with those offers, or that every one of those offers were "unavailable" on NSD.

Ok, I'll take your word for it but my actual point still stands to a certain degree. While many elite programs may throw out a lot of offers early on, they don't just throw out offers to kids that have no business playing at said program or aren't worthy of such offers. Neither of those guys may have been able to sign with Alabama on NSD, but we're not talking about a couple programs "cooling" on them.

Wright: Auburn, BC, Cal, Cincy, UGA, GT, Ill, Maryland, UM, UNC, ND, Pitt, Rutgers, South Car, Tenn, UCF, V Tech, and Wisconsin

Rippy: Pitt, Bama, AZ, Auburn, UF, Iowa, Maryland, UM, Nebraska, Ohio State, Syracuse, Tenn, UCLA, USC and West Virginia

You can't tell me that neither of those guys had the talent to play at the big time, P5 level with those offers, or that every one of those offers were "unavailable" on NSD.

If your point is a general point, I accept that. In this case, I'm confident that few if any of those options still existed for these two guys.

I still hold out some hope for Rippy. At least he has the size and athleticism to become something. You can't say that for basically our entire LB corps sans Olugbode/Gillam

I still hold out some hope for Rippy. At least he has the size and athleticism to become something. You can't say that for basically our entire LB corps sans Olugbode/Gillam
can't believe you threw in Olugbode in there. he's small. Listed as 6'0" 210 lbs on the roster. Not a super fast guy either, although he certainly is one of the faster LBs.

can't believe you threw in Olugbode in there. he's small. Listed as 6'0" 210 lbs on the roster. Not a super fast guy either, although he certainly is one of the faster LBs.

KO is a really good athlete. He stands out from the other LBs, especially when you watch them in shorts/shells. He's faster than he sometimes looked, too. Gillam's not necessarily as fast as he looks. Instincts and scheme knowledge leading to anticipation of the action makes guys look so much faster (or the opposite).

KO is a really good athlete. He stands out from the other LBs, especially when you watch them in shorts/shells. He's faster than he sometimes looked, too. Gillam's not necessarily as fast as he looks. Instincts and scheme knowledge leading to anticipation of the action makes guys look so much faster (or the opposite).

I agree he is a good athlete, but he's not a freak one. I just don't think he's that good, even though he has flashed occasionally. He's got physical limitations. He's a pac 12 LB athlete in a medium to large sized-safety's body.

Likewise, and that's why I have less if any hope for Yuri. I'm not sure he's gained any weight in three years, and he's a rail.

I agree he is a good athlete, but he's not a freak one. I just don't think he's that good, even though he has flashed occasionally. He's got physical limitations. He's a pac 12 LB athlete in a medium to large sized-safety's body.

i would actually like to see KO play that hybrid LB/safety (TJ Ward type). I think that would give more flexibility in 2 positions we are a little thin. I Also like the move of Shaver he is a good athlete who has the size and I think he could start this fall over Gillam or next to him depending on defensive front.

Ps we've seen the end of Wright

i would actually like to see KO play that hybrid LB/safety (TJ Ward type). I think that would give more flexibility in 2 positions we are a little thin. I Also like the move of Shaver he is a good athlete who has the size and I think he could start this fall over Gillam or next to him depending on defensive front.

Welcome to Allbuffs, Buffalo Born.

Welcome aboard Dude !

It's more like:
What makes the elite schools elite is they recruit 200 of these guys, offer 100, put them thru a grueling vetting process and sign 20, and when 8 don't end up being contributors, they've still got 12 others to bank on.

The couple we get from time to time are typically not being pursued by the elites on NSD.

Exact same point I tried to make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty daring first post. Whats the scoop on Wright?

Thanks for the Welcome guys,

I'm not saying that he is done at CU or anything I am just going off of what we have seen and the report from goldy21. Please correct me if I'm wrong but Yuri played under Embree then red shirted in MM first year and didn't play last year. I don't know if he was injured but he couldn't get on the field and at the point of the season, when he would have played last year I don't think they would have asked him to do any thing other than cover that guy or cover that area and he wasn't out there. We even had a walk on play and start I know not at his position but we see Chido play every position in the secondary so I conclude Yuri just does not have it.

Thanks for the Welcome guys,

I'm not saying that he is done at CU or anything I am just going off of what we have seen and the report from goldy21. Please correct me if I'm wrong but Yuri played under Embree then red shirted in MM first year and didn't play last year. I don't know if he was injured but he couldn't get on the field and at the point of the season, when he would have played last year I don't think they would have asked him to do any thing other than cover that guy or cover that area and he wasn't out there. We even had a walk on play and start I know not at his position but we see Chido play every position in the secondary so I conclude Yuri just does not have it.

What you post is the general impression that just about all of us share.

I guess the sliver of hope is that Tumpkin is a new DB coach and maybe he'll be able to reach Yuri. No questioning that Yuri's a damn good athlete. The question is whether he's a very good football player or has the drive to become one.

The most concerning thing to me was that the first photo gallery posted on Rivals from this spring. Yuri is as skinny as ever. What the hell did he do with that redshirt year?

Posted in another thread, but since it's not anywhere else (should be on cubuffs.com), the roster sheet handed out on Monday:

SpringRoster1.jpg
SpringRoster2.jpg

not true RB. just in the backfield on some sets to create mismatches. will remain a WR, looks like.

What you post is the general impression that just about all of us share.

I guess the sliver of hope is that Tumpkin is a new DB coach and maybe he'll be able to reach Yuri. No questioning that Yuri's a damn good athlete. The question is whether he's a very good football player or has the drive to become one.

The most concerning thing to me was that the first photo gallery posted on Rivals from this spring. Yuri is as skinny as ever. What the hell did he do with that redshirt year?
Tumpkin coaches safeties. Wright is a CB.

not true RB. just in the backfield on some sets to create mismatches. will remain a WR, looks like.

That's the way we used him as a frosh, but after a little success vs CSU, it didn't move the needle. Ross could not make guys miss in the open field whatsoever. I consider that a talent most ballers have already when they get to campus, so not sure that will change.

Yuri doesn't have the drive from what I have gathered. Shame, because he's got a lot of potential and could make a lot of money doing this.

Back