What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 -- NO EXCUSES

Duff is absolutely right. This 2015 or else stuff is frankly, not realistic. The lack of talent on this team and the schedule are not a formula for a winning season.

And it begs the question, what is meant by OR ELSE? Or else what? Fire MacIntyre? And start another rebuild?

Mac needs a minimum of 4 years to be given a fair chance. He is very well-respected and connected in coaching circles. Canning him if we didn't make a bowl game next year would be the worst thing we could do. Coaching is a small fraternity. As bad as Embree was, the perception is out there that he was not given a fair shake. If we were to fire Mac after 3 years, that would be solidified. "CU is a losing program that does not give its coaches time to construct a turnaround before firing them." That would be the narrative. And you're kidding yourself if you think any decent candidate would consider us as a destination after that. It would be career suicide.

This. There is no way we fire Mac2 next year barring some unforeseen meltdown or scandal. Those that don't understand this are going to be disappointed. I agree with Luke that a lot of posters at the start of the year wanted to see improvement and the bleeding slowed down. We got that. I personally wanted an exciting offense so even if we lost, it would be entertaining. I got that though it hurt so much this year. This was the most frustrating year I've had in a long time, watching us fight and then blow it at the end. Sometimes being killed was easier. We now have a chance to win and it starts next year. I hope we see some changes on the staff and some recruiters brought in.

Go Buffs!

I have trouble buying the lack of talent on the team excuse

So the problem is Mac? You don't go 2-10 without either big coaching or talent issues, so which is it? Teams with good coaching and decent talent don't go 2-10, they just don't.

And Cal. And Utah.And yes I'm basing that off of our recent history with the two teams.
Cal is flat out more talented than us. Utah I guess you could make the argument, but they sure looked like the better team to me. The only team I truly thought we stacked up well against this season was Oregon State. Not surprisingly, they are not bowling either.

Without advocating we get rid of Mac, I'll just say that canning him doesn't make the CU job any less attractive than it was 2 years ago. This "coaching fraternity" only means so much when there are $2 million per year on the table. The coaching fraternity is filled with smart guys, and I doubt many believe Embree got fired too soon. They understand the business, we have a coach struggling under an AD who didn't hire him. Guys like Saban are never coming here, but if you don't think CU could lure a good coordinator for a 400% raise, you're kidding yourselves.

Nebraska had now fired 2 of their past 3 coaches in seasons where they won 9 or more games. UCLA fired Neuheisel after a season where he went to the Pac 12 championship game. It happens.

Last edited:
So the problem is Mac? You don't go 2-10 without either big coaching or talent issues, so which is it? Teams with good coaching and decent talent don't go 2-10, they just don't.
No I think the biggest problem was the lack of upperclassmen in our two deep and the lack of veteran leadership

My expectations are probably lower then most, but a 6-7 campaign would be progress to me. Not a bowl game, but it wouldn't be something I would fire Mac over, either.

So time is all this team is missing, you're kidding yourself.
So you're saying a more experienced team performs the exact same as this years? It's not just about experience, it's also about having more time in the weight room and developing your body. You're kidding yourself if you don't think our DEs would be more effective at 250+ instead of 230. Or that having Spruce as a Senior and Fields as a Sophomore wouldn't help Sefo out. Or having a QB who is an upperclassmen and has been starting since halfway through his freshman year. More experience and older players are much more likely to produce positive results.

So you're saying a more experienced team performs the exact same as this years? It's not just about experience, it's also about having more time in the weight room and developing your body. You're kidding yourself if you don't think our DEs would be more effective at 250+ instead of 230. Or that having Spruce as a Senior and Fields as a Sophomore wouldn't help Sefo out. Or having a QB who is an upperclassmen and has been starting since halfway through his freshman year. More experience and older players are much more likely to produce positive results.

No, I'm saying the talent on this team with just another year of experience will only be a slightly less s**ty version of this year's team. I believe the ceiling for this team and our current talent level is a borderline bowl team if everything breaks right for us, that's unacceptable.

Sefo has 20 starts, stop with the youth excuses.

I think, when a new coach inherits a program as dismal as the one left for Macintyre, there has to be a sort of grace period where he's judged by things other than wins and losses. As much as it sucked to not even find a way to pull out a single conference win this season, I would argue that the past two years have shown enough progression that Mac still deserves full support. I said before the season that my expectations weren't tied to a number of wins, but as to whether or not the team looked like they belonged in the Pac 12. Yes, we lost and lost and lost, but I had a reason to put myself through each torturous loss because, well, we looked like we belonged on the field for the first time in ~5 years. I think Mac knows what he's doing, and the wins will come with time... but his "grace period" ended yesterday. It is now very much all about winning and losing- because to get "any closer" than we were in the majority of games this year is to pull out the ****ing win.

Next year, we can afford to have expectations of a bowl game. If those expectations are not met, then Mac has to be on the hot seat the next season.

No, I'm saying the talent on this team with just another year of experience will only be a slightly less s**ty version of this year's team. I believe the ceiling for this team and our current talent level is a borderline bowl team if everything breaks right for us, that's unacceptable.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we weren't starting a bunch of underclassmen in a conference where the other teams are starting mostly upperclassmen

So if Tini's solution is to do nothing but let the clock keep ticking and most folks obviously don't agree with that, what's your recommendation?

So if Tini's solution is to do nothing but let the clock keep ticking and most folks obviously don't agree with that, what's your recommendation?
We really do not have a choice, but to hope it works out in 2015. But I for one will be very glad to stop hearing the youth excuse over and over again. It shall be entertaining to hear the next excuses.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we weren't starting a bunch of underclassmen in a conference where the other teams are starting mostly upperclassmen

Fine so you believe we have plenty of talent, we're just too young to win even a single conference game. I get it, I just totally disagree.

Upgrade the talent level on this team in a big way. If this coach and this staff can't do it then we have the wrong staff.

We really do not have a choice, but to hope it works out in 2015. But I for one will be very glad to stop hearing the youth excuse over and over again. It shall be entertaining to hear the next excuses.

Was really looking for some dialogue on the point. I personally would like to think a coaching change or two could help us shore up some deficiencies (particularly on defense and teams) from a schematic standpoint similar to what we've seen on the offense. But what do I know; just curious to hear if other folks had other ideas.

To Sink, are you saying you'd be more comfortable with our on-field performance if we were doing better (as projected by rating services) on the recruiting front?

An expectation of 6 wins or bowl game should be the minimum. 3 years is plenty of time to know whether a coach has it or not. Put up or shut up should be the 2015 motto.

We have enough talent to go to a bowl game

I like how you say things so definitively. Right after a season where we went winless in conference after hearing you say we wouldn't the entire ****ing time, here you are making declarative statements already. Good stuff.

I like how you say things so definitively. Right after a season where we went winless in conference after hearing you say we wouldn't the entire ****ing time, here you are making declarative statements already. Good stuff.
That's not a declarative statement, it's my opinion

I can't disagree. I am just lacking the faith and hope it will happen. In the middle of June, I'll probably be thinking a bowl game is possible, but not now.

What exactly causes you to feel this way? Being 1-2 plays away from beating Cal, Oregon state, UCLA, Washington, Arizona, and Utah?

I'm frustrated as hell we went 0-9. Bit I also recognize we could have been 5-4 or 6-3. Asu was a winnable game too.

I'm going with the assumption that with almost the entire roster back we will be improved and I'm also assuming we can't be as unlucky as we were this year with some critical calls that were wrong and went against us.

Just fyi, a bowl game next year requires 7 wins since we play 13 games.

At Hawaii is going to be HUGE.

What exactly causes you to feel this way? Being 1-2 plays away from beating Cal, Oregon state, UCLA, Washington, Arizona, and Utah?

I'm frustrated as hell we went 0-9. Bit I also recognize we could have been 5-4 or 6-3. Asu was a winnable game too.

I'm going with the assumption that with almost the entire roster back we will be improved and I'm also assuming we can't be as unlucky as we were this year with some critical calls that were wrong and went against us.

You cannot reasonably say we could have had a winning record in conference. That is going a bit far. Washington and Arizona flat-out beat us, same with ASU. Let's not go overboard.

For those that haven't seen the schedule

Saturday
Sept. 5
at Hawaii Rainbow Warriors
Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, HI
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 12
UMass Minutemen
Folsom Field, Boulder, CO
TBA---
Saturday