What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 CU Players in the NFL (Plus Draft Thread)

Did any player that Embree signed in his two years get drafted, including his commits from his 2013 class that HCMM took over?
Chido, 'Spoon, Carrell and Tedrick were all HCMM guys. Derek M and Irwin still have a shot.

I went back and scanned the 2011-12 classes and my God few of those guys made any impact here whatsoever (or ever played). A lot of risks were taken to boost the talent level, where it's clear that Mac went a different route as nearly all his guys have contributed.

The two strategies are so different, and most (including me) would have said that Embree's tactic would have yielded more draft prospects and Mac's tactic would yield more seniority and less obviously desperate weak spots (Espy island).

Did any player that Embree signed in his two years get drafted, including his commits from his 2013 class that HCMM took over?
Chido, 'Spoon, Carrell and Tedrick were all HCMM guys. Derek M and Irwin still have a shot.

I went back and scanned the 2011-12 classes and my God few of those guys made any impact here whatsoever (or ever played). A lot of risks were taken to boost the talent level, where it's clear that Mac went a different route as nearly all his guys have contributed.

The two strategies are so different, and most (including me) would have said that Embree's tactic would have yielded more draft prospects and Mac's tactic would yield more seniority and less obviously desperate weak spots (Espy island).

He had 3 who really should have been drafted with KC, Spruce and Tupou. Irwin is likely to get drafted and maybe McCartney and Kough. There are a number of 2017 seniors who committed to Embree and signed with HCMM who have a good shot of being drafted next spring (Lindsay, Bobo, Ross).

He had 3 who really should have been drafted with KC, Spruce and Tupou. Irwin is likely to get drafted and maybe McCartney and Kough. There are a number of 2017 seniors who committed to Embree and signed with HCMM who have a good shot of being drafted next spring (Lindsay, Bobo, Ross).
That's fair. I agree with everything except what I bolded above. Don't see that they have the physical gifts to get to that level, but I'll root for them to do so nonetheless.

All 10 Colorado seniors have been given at least a chance to make an NFL roster. That is pretty awesome.

Connections that CU's current and former Head Coaches have appeared to play more than an inconsequential part. Maybe it's coincidence, but I'm not so sure. Embree with the 49ers (and perhaps Levitt, too) and MacIntyre's coaching connections with the Cowboys (along with Jeffcoat) did not go un-reported.

Similarly, having Bak and Mason in Green Bay provides a little CU-friendly beachhead.

The more handholds CU coaches have with more NFL programs, the better.

Interesting that the local Broncos pipeline isn't as evident this year. But with Matt Russle, seems like there is more than a casual link into Dove Valley.

I think you can discount any former ties Leavitt had with the 49ers as EVER having any affect for CU.

I think you can discount any former ties Leavitt had with the 49ers as EVER having any affect for CU.

Is it unreasonable to assume the 49ers back office asked Leavitt for his opinion on Witherspoon? And if so, is it unreasonable to assume Leavitt helped sell the 49ers on their draft pick?

Is it unreasonable to assume the 49ers back office asked Leavitt for his opinion on Witherspoon? And if so, is it unreasonable to assume Leavitt helped sell the 49ers on their draft pick?

Not unreasonable, specifically for Witherspoon. I thought the question was more general to include Jimmy Gilbert and the camp invites as well.

SF has pretty much turned over their coaching staff, GM, Head of Player Personnel since Leavitt was there. I suppose there's some scouts who may know him, but generally speaking, the scouts aren't all that involved with position coaches.

If the implication is that Coach Embree is beating a drum for his old Buff guys - absolutely.
if the implication is that Coach Leavitt is also due some kudo's here - **** him.

Can we just assume that these are good players and hard workers that all of their current and former coaches gave excellent reviews on if/when contacted?

Yes. Good idea.

It's also fair to assume that Embree's and MacIntyre's experience as NFL coaches includes a network that helps land Buffaloes in specific NFL training camps. Looks like SF, GB, SEA, DAL, and formerly PIT and DEN have a better pipeline into CU than any number of other NFL franchises.

Chido can be as good as he wants, few things to work on. He has a good baseline though. Best of luck to him.

Hard work and willingness to learn are two things that Chido has never lacked in the years he was at CU.

Lots of guys have physical talent including Chido. I think a big part of why Chido jumped so much in the draft from where he was projected earlier in the year is because the pros see him as a guy who will be a "pro." They won't have to worry about him doing the work, taking coaching, or embarrassing the organization.

A lot of guys "can" do it, Chido "will" do it.

Back